use or not use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

use or not use?

Post by casey1 »

when you spend over $100 on a knife, do you use it like it's a tool or are you more likely to baby it a little? or a lot? Or do you even let it leave the house? Do you "test" it by throwing it at walls and cutting through car doors?
jossta

Post by jossta »

USE. Most definitely. I would rather spend $100 on something that's going to get used than something that's going to sit around.

I wouldn't buy Kobe beef just to stare at it...

That is the reason why most of my more expensive knives are gone though ($500+). I don't mind using them but, if one ever fell out of my pocket, I would be less than amused, so if I'm not going to carry it, no point in having it anymore. I think I've had 5 XM-18s. All gone b/c I couldn't stomach using them and would rather have 5 knives I would use. The ZT 0560 should fix that right up though.

Right now I'm carrying a Bradley and a Strider GB. No problem using them.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Use them. How else will you get your money's worth?
:bug-red-white
phaust

Post by phaust »

I wouldn't buy a knife I wasn't going to use.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

You deserve to use it and enjoy it. I wouldn't beat the crap out of it, but I would treat myself to having a high quality tool at my disposal. Current rotation is Para 2, Red Persian, and Endura 4 ffg. Enjoy!
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

casey1 wrote:when you spend over $100 on a knife, do you use it like it's a tool or are you more likely to baby it a little? or a lot? Or do you even let it leave the house? Do you "test" it by throwing it at walls and cutting through car doors?
It depends on the knife. Some knives I collect, some knives I use. Only you can judge which knife is which. Just because a knife isn't a sprint doesn't mean it can't be collected. Plus, many people use sprints as a chance to test out new steels. The point is that only you can decide if $100 is too much to spend on a user blade. IMO it isn't, but If I really love the knife I might buy 2 and save 1 while I thrash the other
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I wouldn't throw a knife or cut through car doors with it for fun at all unless it was some left over junk knife I found from when I used to collect as a kid and I was super bored, (as in $10 junk knife). However I do use my knives and rotate through all of them for EDC even though most are not only over $100 but also sprint runs, I buy sprint runs for their better steel, which you really only experience in use, otherwise I'd just buy the regular versions, if it was to collect only, the steel wouldn't matter maybe only change the handle to some high end attractive material, decorated, or some cool looking damascus blade, (for example the damascus/bone delica, that's one I would by to collect and not use).
casey1

Post by casey1 »

lots of good responses. but the question is this: is a knife like the tenacious inferior to say a paramilitary 2 or sage 3 (just using those 2 for size comparisons)? as far as use goes is it much worse if you don't mind the extra sharpening? and that may be the difference. for me, if i had the pm2 and the tenacious, i'd use the heck out of the latter and seldom carry the para2... but that's because i'm a minimalist and don't want to have very many knives when there are people in need who are worth spending money on. having 5 tools that do pretty much the same thing is ok as long as i have specified uses for each but when i take those knives out of their uses i start to have issues.
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

I use my knives for their intended purpose.
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

I am with WalzAaronFFG on this. Some knives I use and carry and some I just collect and admire at home.
Spydies owned: Sage, Sage 2, Sage 3, Sage 4, Lum CF, Lum (foliage), Para Military, Gayle Bradley, Caly 3, M390 Military, Military (orange), PM 2 (orange), Dodo (orange), Manix 2 (orange), Manix 2 (moonglow), Merlin, Matriarch SE, UKPK (maroon), Chinook 3, Khukuri, Superhawk, Street Beat, Lum Tanto sprint, Massad Ayoob sprint, PPT, Shabaria, Persian (red), JD Smith (foliage), BayouShooter Endura, and P'kal.

Waiting for: Dark green PM2.
the ob

Post by the ob »

this is a dilemma. I am not sure what the right answer is.
Stretch zdp-189 blue handles / Caly 3 carbon fiber / Delica 4 FRN / Sage carbon fiber / Perrin PPT / Massad Ayoob / Delica 3 black DLC coated / Lum tanto sprint / Michael Walker CF ZDP-189 (x2) / Gayle Bradley
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

casey1 wrote:lots of good responses. but the question is this: is a knife like the tenacious inferior to say a paramilitary 2 or sage 3 (just using those 2 for size comparisons)? as far as use goes is it much worse if you don't mind the extra sharpening? and that may be the difference. for me, if i had the pm2 and the tenacious, i'd use the heck out of the latter and seldom carry the para2... but that's because i'm a minimalist and don't want to have very many knives when there are people in need who are worth spending money on. having 5 tools that do pretty much the same thing is ok as long as i have specified uses for each but when i take those knives out of their uses i start to have issues.
I do the opposite. I use my Para 2 the most and a lesser knife (price) is the backup.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
JD Spydo

USE IT!!! That's what it's for

Post by JD Spydo »

I have 2 Spyders that are consider "holy grail" models and most people wouldn't use them for any reason. However I'm extremely thankful I have a blue handled PE Spyderhawk ( first generation) and an original Massad Ayoob model SE that I carry on quite a few occasions.

I also have a C-46 Lum Tanto folder that would fetch a pretty hefty price even if I sold it used. But if I really like a model like I do the ones I mentioned I use them. I may have a second one of the same model to keep as a safe queen or a long term collector piece but Spyderco knives are a superbly designed tool and they are ultimately meant to be used.

So don't feel any guilt about using a model you love. That's the best part about this hobby is to be able to use something that not everyone can have or appreciate. It's great that you appreciate and revere the knife as much as you do but don't lose sight of the fact that all Spyders are a tool meant to be used for their intended purpose. Now go get a Hawkbill to go with that blade :cool: :D :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jossta

Post by jossta »

casey1 wrote:lots of good responses. but the question is this: is a knife like the tenacious inferior to say a paramilitary 2 or sage 3 (just using those 2 for size comparisons)? as far as use goes is it much worse if you don't mind the extra sharpening? and that may be the difference. for me, if i had the pm2 and the tenacious, i'd use the heck out of the latter and seldom carry the para2... but that's because i'm a minimalist and don't want to have very many knives when there are people in need who are worth spending money on. having 5 tools that do pretty much the same thing is ok as long as i have specified uses for each but when i take those knives out of their uses i start to have issues.
Only you can decide. I can think of a number of reasons other than steel that one would prefer one knife over the other though. But if you have both and aren't going to use the Para, why not just sell it and get a couple back ups of the Tenacious or 1 backup and a persistance.

I realize this could be hypothetical, but if you're only going to use one and you're not going to "collect" the other, makes sense to unload it and use the money for something you or someone else is going to use.
cckw

Post by cckw »

Most of my knife use does not require a $100 knife. So I keep my good knives nice.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Of course I use my knives! you just gotta take care of em.
:spyder:Delica 4 PE, Tenacious PE, SS Cricket PE, Bayshooter Wave Endura.
WISHLIST: Southfork
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

casey1 wrote:when you spend over $100 on a knife, do you use it like it's a tool or are you more likely to baby it a little? or a lot? Or do you even let it leave the house? Do you "test" it by throwing it at walls and cutting through car doors?
I use all my knives like tools, regardless of price. I base the gentleness of the use on the strength of the build, not the cost of the knife, so you won't catch me peeling up floor tiles with a $400 custom slipjoint, but you could see me doing that with a Carbon Fiber Military (currently M4 blade, formerly S90V). As for "testing" knives by doing stuff like throwing them at walls and stabbing car doors, I grew out of that when I turned 11.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
FPO45

Post by FPO45 »

At first, when buying a knife I tend to baby it regardless of cost. Then it slowly begins to see pocket time, and eventually I'll warm up to using it regularly. Price is not a factor so much as time is.
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

I save some and use the s@#% out of my others. :eek:
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
unit

Post by unit »

My knives are tools. I use my tools, but I treat them like tools (with care)

Some cost a little some cost a lot. I treat them all with respect. The day you fail to respect a bladed tool may be the day you learn a powerful lesson.

Respect doesn't mean that I baby them, but I do not go around taking dares or winning bar bets with them either ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.