Carving a spoon with the Pacific Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water_Gremlin

Carving a spoon with the Pacific Salt

Post by Water_Gremlin »

Over the winter I took a liking to Youtube bush craft videos. Something about heading out in the woods with little more than the clothes on your back and a fixed blade in a sheath strapped to your belt looks like fun from the comfort of my recliner but I'd rather watch someone else to it on the internet than do it myself. Carving a spoon, yeah, now that's something I wouldn't mind trying.

I started with a chunk of split and dried birch from the wood pile. The outline on the wood was the general shape I had in mind for the spoon.

A couple hours later and progress is being made. I can tell you at this point my hands were sore and tired.

GLOVES! I should have put them on earlier. The spoon is taking shape. :)

Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

Almost done minus the bowl.

Backside

At first my goal was to make the spoon with nothing more than simple hands tools, ie a pocket knife. But after 5 hours of whittling wood I’m ready to move on to power tools. The plan is to drill the bowl out with a dremel and call it good. :) I’ll post a pic of the finished product when I am done.

Overall the Pacific Salt did a great job. The edge is still sharp, not as sharp as out of the box, but I can still easily cut computer paper. Even though the knife worked well I think a knife with a thicker handle would be more comfortable. P2 maybe... :)
unit

Post by unit »

Very nice. I look forward to seeing the finished spoon.

I love whittling with a good knife!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
unit

Post by unit »

Do you plan on leaving the tool marks on it or sanding it smooth?

(personally I like the tool marks as shown in your last photo)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I prefer the tool marks as well. It gives it a hand made look

After I drill out the bowl I'll cover it with a clear varnish and either give it to my daughter to toss it on a shelf somewhere.
unit

Post by unit »

Great. I agree. I like to see hints that someone made something (and not the easy way).

It is funny, all my stuff ends up that way also. If someone likes it, they get it...otherwise it collects dust on a shelf.

The real treasure is the time spent with a knife I am fond of and a bit of wood.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Really cool! I cant wait to see the end result. Are you gonna do a fork too?
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Very cool! A BLACK BLACK Pacific Salt??? Where from??? I love mine. My opinion, (having owned original Enduras 'back in the day') is it's the ultimate Endura incarnation. Titanium clip, original zytel handle, rust proof, one of the lightest 'big' folders in the Spyderco line-up....what more could a real knife guy want?? ;)

I wouldn't want to do a wood working job like that with any folder though if I had a choice. Especially one with handle slabs and nothing in between them like the para millie. I'm definitely a para millie fan too, btw. I just would not want to do any laborious cutting chores with that handle. LOL. At least, not un-gloved.

Great to see one of my favorite knives (ok my hands down favorite) doing some hard work and holding its' own per se.

Gotta order another Pacific Salt, or two in the semi near future so I've always got one later on.

I'd be prone to take that spoon to work and eat some clam chowder with it just for the conversation it would surely start! :)