Are Sprint models "worth" the extra $?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoser

Are Sprint models "worth" the extra $?

Post by hoser »

In general, are the Sprint upgrades worth the extra money on the Paramilitary 2 models (or other models)?
MCM

Post by MCM »

yes.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes.
:bug-red-white
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Oh yeah they are... Worth every penny.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

They are to me. Take the Para2 for example. I am not really a fan of it. But I am a fan of steel. So, I buy an S90V, a 20CP and hopefully a M390 (if I can find someone to ship one to me). So that is three knives that I will have bought that not only makes Spyderco cash, but gives me experience using three new and amazing steels. So I will gladly pay the $50 or so more than the S30V version to get those steels.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Several ways of answering that.

From everything Sal has said, Spyderco works on a fixed margin, so the price of Sprint Runs reflects material cost and in that sense you are getting what you pay for.

If you're buying to add to a collection then Sprints and other models produced in low numbers often increase in value faster than "base" models so, you could be getting more than you paid for, or less, depending on when you purchase it and from whom.

On the other hand, if you're purchasing to use, and content with uncoated S30V and black G-10, or whatever combination of materials and colors the "base" version comes in, then paying a premium for a Sprint in more expensive materials may not be "worth it" to you.

Third party sponsored exclusives are a different ballgame. Some sponsors choose to sell at prices that appear to reflect a much smaller discount than what we've come to consider the "average street price" for a knife with that MSRP. That's their right, but it does make the knife relatively more expensive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Yes. The way I look at anything is you get what you pay for. If you don't care about trying out different steels or a particular model doesn't catch your eye then you have to ask if it is personally worth it to you.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't buy as a collector, i buy to use them so it's harder for me to spend big money on a knife knowing 1) it's a "collector" 2) it was expensive and 3) it's exclusive and if i absolutely fall in love with it and i wear it out i can't easily replace it. Because of those reasons i've resisted the urge, but it's getting tough. If a S110V Para 2 were to hit the scene i'd probably jump on it. If i see a S90V Para 2 for a decent price and i have the cash, i'll probably jump on it. In the meantime i just enjoy what i have, since after all it's not like S30V etc is bad or insufficient.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sprints get to be sprints for several different reasons. Cosmetics, steel, other reasons. If the sprint appeals to you, yes, it's worth the money. If it doesn't float your boat, no.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

There is no fixed measure of value. There are two means of assessing the value of an object:

1. Each individual purchaser can decide for him/herself whether it's "worth" it. You can see some other buyers' subjective opinions above.

2. The market sets a value. Given that virtually all sprint runs sell out well before demand has been satisfied, we can state that as a matter of market economics, sprints are almost always "worth it."
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

[CENTER]
:spyder: Yes :spyder:
[/CENTER]
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Er... tough question. One I've asked myself many times. In some cases, I think most definitely. Particularly when a sprint run is of an older model I missed out on or a current model built with steel and material I favor. Some times... I think not so much. As others have said, comes down to whether you think it's worth the extra dough. Take the Massad Ayoob, I was falling over myself to punch in my credit card number when the preorder for that one came up on Howe's. The rest of this year's sprints haven't really sparked my interest. Don't get me wrong, I love my para... but I love it the way it is. I can't seem to get worked up about different colors of G10 or a CF model that will be well out of my comfort zone price wise. Even with a steel upgrade... not worth it to me personally.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
hoser

Post by hoser »

Jordan wrote:Er... tough question. One I've asked myself many times. In some cases, I think most definitely. Particularly when a sprint run is of an older model I missed out on or a current model built with steel and material I favor. Some times... I think not so much. As others have said, comes down to whether you think it's worth the extra dough. Take the Massad Ayoob, I was falling over myself to punch in my credit card number when the preorder for that one came up on Howe's. The rest of this year's sprints haven't really sparked my interest. Don't get me wrong, I love my para... but I love it the way it is. I can't seem to get worked up about different colors of G10 or a CF model that will be well out of my comfort zone price wise. Even with a steel upgrade... not worth it to me personally.
Never checked out the Ayoob. Is that a Sprint model only?
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Yes, Especially if you favor a certain color/material(Orange, carbon fiber, etc.) or supersteel (M4,M390,S90V). I own more sprints than regular production Spyders.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think that if one has the disposable capital on the front end, it's usually going to make economic sense to buy them. They routinely appreciate in the secondary market -- sometimes by a lot. So you can buy 'em all, keep the ones you like, sell the ones you don't, and be sure that it will not be very often at all that you're left holding the bag with one that isn't worth what you paid for it.

In that sense, most sprints are actually underpriced.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

hoser wrote:Never checked out the Ayoob. Is that a Sprint model only?
Fraid so. If you want one... get it quick :) .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I wouldn't say that the sprints I have seen have been much more than you would expect. The Valloton isn't sprint, but is pricey. It is all about materials. The ZDP caly3 CF was $120, the new Super Blue Caly3.5 is $150ish. In my experience the price is on par with the materials used, as long as you aren't buying the sprint after it has sold out, then the price jumps.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The chance to get upgraded re-runs of old models or new ones with experimental steels?

Yeppers :)
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

For me, in most cases yes on models I like, for example I have the S90V and 20CP para 2's and just pre ordered the M390 sprint, however I don't plan on getting the S35VN sprint because I don't see it as being enough of an upgrade from the regular to be worth the extra $40, also If I had to pay $400 on ebay for an S90V para I probably wouldn't have it either, but at $180, most definitely, I'd probably have gone up to $250 if I had to.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The chief advantage for me is the opportunity to get cool/rare steels in different knife platforms. In the past I've purchased a Sprint thinking of it as an 'investment opportunity' (or at least justifying the purchase to my wife in that matter). But, I can never NOT use a Spyderco, and although I take wicked good care of all my blades, I figure if I can't sell it as NIB, then I ought not sell it at all.