New Sage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rkh

New Sage

Post by rkh »

I would like some comments on the Sage. I just ordered a Blue Bolt Action Sage and am interested in any info. I really do want a Chapparall and since it is not out yet I thought I would try the Sage. I know the Sage is a little bigger but thought I could try out this style of folder and see if like this style of knife.

RKH
dognameddrew

Post by dognameddrew »

I recently ordered one as well and should get it tomorrow! My 11th spydie in a very short time...My wallet is bleeeeding!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Well, the Spyderco version of the Sage 3's lock is probably executed with tighter tolerances and better materials than a lot of the preceding knives from other manufacturers. And it's a good lock, to boot. So enjoy!

The Chaparral is a totally different lock, but is also made of great materials, and also made in Taiwan, where the fit-n-finish is good. Also, the Deacon says it's good, and he only likes about three knives in the known universe.

So, the Sage 3 probably won't tell you much about how you will respond to the Chaparral. But it looks like a really nice knife -- one that I would carry if people at my office didn't look at me funny because it seems huge to them.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had the Sage 1...LOVED it...it was such a nice knife...too nice in fact, so i traded it in on my Paramilitary. It was so beautiful i couldn't bring myself to use/abuse it. It's probably the nicest liner lock knife i've ever handled. I'm sure the bolt action version is very nice too...i'd like to have one someday, i wouldn't feel so bad using it since it's G10....not that it's any less nice because of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DaHolla

Post by DaHolla »

I have the Sage 3 & I love it. The bolt action is excellent and the knife is very tight. You won't regret the purchase.
“Pain or damage don’t end the world. Or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man… and give some back.” Al Swearengen-Deadwood
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

sage 3 rocks :)
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

is the Sage 3 as smooth at opening and closing as the Sage 1?
rkh

Post by rkh »

Thanks for all the comments on the Sage. I am looking forward to the knife and having a different lock. This is such a great forum and all the people here are so helpful. Thanks.

RKH
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

krislacy wrote:is the Sage 3 as smooth at opening and closing as the Sage 1?
The Sage 3 is quite smooth. Some people initially had problems with the closing part, but you will get used to it. The Sage 1 is on another level, though. It practically opens and closes itself.
Spydies owned: Sage, Sage 2, Sage 3, Sage 4, Lum CF, Lum (foliage), Para Military, Gayle Bradley, Caly 3, M390 Military, Military (orange), PM 2 (orange), Dodo (orange), Manix 2 (orange), Manix 2 (moonglow), Merlin, Matriarch SE, UKPK (maroon), Chinook 3, Khukuri, Superhawk, Street Beat, Lum Tanto sprint, Massad Ayoob sprint, PPT, Shabaria, Persian (red), JD Smith (foliage), BayouShooter Endura, and P'kal.

Waiting for: Dark green PM2.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Just got my Sage 3 from Howe's Knife Shop today. I took advantage of his clearance sale. $89 was a screaming deal. I LOVE it so far. 3" blades are exactly what I want for a good EDC, and the blue handle gives it more of a utility knife look for the sheeple who are afraid of a pocket knife. Opening is smooth as butter, but closing takes two hands. My guess is that once it breaks in I will be able to actuate the lock and shake the blade closed without using my second hand. My Para2 was the same until I did some break-in

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Had to scale down the size to make it fit without a 3rd party image host.
Attachments
photo-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

The Sage 3 is great. Unfortunately I had to sell mine. I really liked the blue G10 and the lock. The ergos were great (it is a Sage :) ) and it was extremely smooth. No play at all, easier to close than the CBBL, and the back spacer didn't even look like a separate piece. The overall profile is only slightly taller than the first 2 Sages. I think you'll be pleased.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Handwrecker wrote:The Sage 3 is great. Unfortunately I had to sell mine. I really liked the blue G10 and the lock. The ergos were great (it is a Sage :) ) and it was extremely smooth. No play at all, easier to close than the CBBL, and the back spacer didn't even look like a separate piece. The overall profile is only slightly taller than the first 2 Sages. I think you'll be pleased.
Why did you sell? It sounds like you really liked the knife. I just received mine from Howe's today as well. I like it and knew I would as I like both the Sage 1 and Sage 2. I do have to say that I like the Sages in the order of releases. Sage 1 is my favorite, followed by Sage 2 and Sage 3. All 3 are good knives but the Sage 1 is still my most carried Spyderco out of the 50 or so I own.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

dman62

Post by dman62 »

Sage 3 is a fantastic knife. I'm with WalzAaronFFG, 3 inch blades are my favorite EDC size knives. Effortless is the way mine opens. I use my thumb and index finger to operate the lock and can close it with one hand. Great choice rhk!
Mateyhv

Post by Mateyhv »

Sage I is the best for my personal taste. II is massive and III is too brightly colored, even I liked it, it has lost its gentelmans look. Also I have always regarded the axis lock to the realm of Bmde or S*G, well the Sage is an honorific family.

Sage I opens with a breeze yet stays well in place while closed. Unlocking it one handed is a realy stylish procedure. Carbon fiber, polished steel liners, great ergos and sexy rounded lines makes it the winner in the family in my opinion.
rkh

Post by rkh »

Thanks for all the replies. I am a looking forward to the Sage 3 and the Bolt Lock as a new lock. Also, Liner locks are not my favorite lock but Spyderco does an excellent job with it. I have over 50 spydercos and they are my favorite knife company.

RKH