Carbon fiber ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Carbon fiber ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2?

Post by Evil D »

Anyone else think it's time the Dfly grew up and got some carbon fiber scales along with the ZDP blade? I just started a new job that's more dressy and i've been carrying my CF Caly 3 a lot lately, and it's still a little on the large size for the environment so i'm looking at getting the ZDP Dfly but i would love it in carbon fiber like my Caly 3...sort of like a miniature Caly 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I would be all over that dragonfly.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Currently good with the FRN version. if the D'F'ly gets carbon fiber I wouldn't like the smooth kind, maybe the woven type that comes with the Bradley and Sage.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gus88

Post by gus88 »

ive literally had a dream about this combo the other night and had to search all over the internet the next morning if they had ever existed....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Honestly i wasn't sure if it ever happened or not but i checked the catalog to see and didn't see one. I'm a little torn really, i love how light the FRN Dragonfly is and i know CF is going to be a lot heavier, but i think it would be a superb small knife and it seems like the natural progression of the knife.
~David
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

It would be great to have a CF ZDP-189 Dragonfly. There was a previous polished CF DF in ATS-55.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pinetreebbs wrote:It would be great to have a CF ZDP-189 Dragonfly. There was a previous polished CF DF in ATS-55.
That must have been well before my time, or before i "saw the light" and bought Spydie :D

I think the same thing applies to the Delica and Endura...i know the Delica has come in CF in the past but another run with ZDP would be awesome.
~David
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Sounds good to me.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

id really like an endura/delica combo like that
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'd double wield those bad boys.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

YES! I would be all over it. I just picked up a Balance for that reason. Would love a Dragonfly in a nice steel (ZDP-189 is awesome) and CF or maybe Titanium scales.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Count me in for one. The Dragonfly has been my most carried knife lately and carbon fiber would be great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The G10 dragonfly definitely weighs quite a bit more than the FRN one. Doesn't bother me though, makes it feel solid. Would CF weigh less than G10? I'd guess it might be able to be a bit thinner? I'd definitely buy one in CF!

For a similar size CF in ZDP-189 you might keep an eye out for a Michael Walker CF sprint run, I am growing more fond of that one all the time, a great slicer, and quite thin!
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

I used to own a CF Dragonfly. Nice knife.

spydusse

Post by spydusse »

I love my cf stretch. Zdp is just to sexy to be wearing frn. Its like putting a model in baggy sweat pants. Zdp delica and endura with cf handles ummm I will take both and I don't care if it empties my wallet!!!!!!btw the last issue of blade mag has a cool article on the history of the delica and ennduras
jldc

Post by jldc »

spydusse wrote:I love my cf stretch. Zdp is just to sexy to be wearing frn. Its like putting a model in baggy sweat pants. Zdp delica and endura with cf handles ummm I will take both and I don't care if it empties my wallet!!!!!!btw the last issue of blade mag has a cool article on the history of the delica and ennduras
CF's main advantage is its "coolness" factor. FRN is really just about the ultimate handle material in therms of function alone. It's light, strong, grippy, and impervious. It's just not that pretty.

All of that said, I would probably be all over a CF Dragonfly with either VG-10 or ZDP.

After all, I like cool too.

L
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

I would definitely be in for one as well. I love my CF Spydie's, and I love my Dragonflies. Put the two together, and it would be LOVE!
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Down like Charlie Brown!
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Evil idea but I really like it. I have a G10 fly on the way that I am going to try to switch the green g10 for water buffalo (spellzor soz) horn. I got some multicam g10 and make a second set of handles scales also.

I have heard of people getting a standard zdp dragonfly now, getting the g10 fly and switching out the blade on the zdp and putting it in the g10 frame :D .

Apparently it works...do a search I am sure I have seen threads around about it.

I thin the CF will ONLY work if spyderco changes its texturing on the normal cf scales they produce....this knife isn't one you would want to slip with.....
Dferg10

Post by Dferg10 »

I got this on eBay. It came in today and is in great shape. I have only had Walkers and Delicas, never a Dragonfly. I did not know they came in CF untill I saw this one. It has a single liner and is not heavy at all. It fits my hand well. I am going to carry this one. If they made a DF with CF and ZDP-189, I would have to get one.

With big brother CF Delica.