delica vs tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tahomazz

delica vs tenacious

Post by tahomazz »

many people debating whihc is better between the differnt steels and the differnt price point. whats your say?!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My opinion is the Tenacious. Sure the steel isn't as good, but I like the ergos better. And it's cheaper. So for a "beater" knife, something that I will use and not be bothered if it gets damaged, or a knife to lend to a friend etc, I'll take the Tenacious.
On the hunt for...
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I can only comment on the delica. It has to be the best all around EDC made. It's just the right size and weight and the price is good too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you value in a knife. Delica has better steel and, IMHO, superior build quality. Tenacious offers more blade length at a lower price. Pays your money, takes your choice. Personally, I'd choose neither since I prefer a midlock with a 50/50 choil and would be willing to spend the extra bucks for a VG-10 Stretch. But, if my only option was a choice between a Delica and a Tenacious, the Delica would win hands down. On the other hand, I know someone who loses knives, and darn near everything else, regularly, so I'd recommend the Tenacious (or more likely a Byrd) to him.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

I can't speak for the Tenacious, but I do have a Delica 4 SE and the Persistence. I think they are good knives and they feel good in the hand.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I chose delicas, but I am partial.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
JimP

Post by JimP »

Whilst I don't think they compare well due to being in different size/weight divisions, I will say I would take the Tenacious over a Delica even though I do prefer VG-10.

The Tenacious fits my hand much better and I still can't get past the shifting under pressure of a back lock...the Tenacious has a thick liner lock and is just a solid beast, really it feels more comparable to a Gayle Bradley! :eek:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I EDC'd my Delica for six years and when I decided to give it a rest, I bought a Tenacious. After using the Tenacious for a couple weeks, I went back to carrying my Delica. There was just something about the Tenacious that didn't fit my hand right. The build quality was fine and it was a nice knife, but it just couldn't replace everything I liked about the Delica. I ended up gifting the Tenacious to my brother-in-law and carried my Delica for another year before I picked up a Caly3, which finally let my Delica get it's much deserved break.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I like both for different things. The Tenacious is my bigger beater knife that doesn'matter as much if it's lost or broken. The Delica is more of an edc blade for me because of weight, size and steel.
Spyder Count: 7
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Not sure how comparable these two are, one is a lot bigger than the other. In fact the tenacious feels larger than endura, due to how wide the handle and blade is.

If you have to compare them it really comes down to what you want in your knife. One is compact and fits well in pocket, the other is heavier built, and very hand filling so more suited for harder work.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Overall, the Delica is the better knife, but the Tenacious can be used hard without guilt.
:bug-red-white
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I can only speak with regards to the Spyderco Delica4 (and Delica models I've used before). Even though I have :spyder: s I really like and rank higher on my list, the Delica, for me, is about the best all-around knife there is in the Spyderco line.

The Delica, to me, is a practical design that handles most of the cutting tasks I come upon and makes for an ideal EDC. I EDC the Delica4 far more than any other :spyder: I own.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
APH

Post by APH »

You know, I still haven't embraced the Spyderco CHINA line..I did have a FlatByrd once and it was tight but I still like the Colorado knives (of course) and the JPN line's...also Taiwan shop that makes the Sage series I have to say is top notch too....I'm not saying the CHINA shop is not good but I just can;t bring myself to hook one up yet....maybe sometime.
I did almost entertain a Tenacious once but did not end up buying it....
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I do like the tenacious for the size of it and the feel in my hand but love the delica for the size and feel of it in my pocket. I use the tenacious more around the house but the delica has a spot in my edc rotation. If i carry a bigger blade its a frn Stretch or para2.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I didn't know people debated this much. :confused:

Still, different enough knives so they can peacefully coexist. Clip both to your pocket and the differences are immediately obvious. Both cut well but ones a Lotus and the other a Mustang GT.
dmon

Post by dmon »

Delica is perfection in compact package. If i lose or damage one i will replace it as soon as possible.

If I try to describe all my mixed feelings and opinions about Tenacious in minimum words, it would be "luxury beater", which is oxymoron just like the knife itself.
Chinese production and made of 8Cr13MoV, but not Byrd. FFG, but not perfectly flat and sort of bumpy. Leaf blade form just a bit too wide, probably to compensate for steel choice (cause lots of it will be removed through frequent sharpening). Skeletonized liners, but handle still feels a bit too heavy for the blade. Phosphor bronze bushings, and extremely smooth action while there is no blade play. Nicely and moderately checkered G-10, good jimping, re-positionable strong pocket clip, but all that stuff still can't buy it a "class". Best thing is that all these goods are available at very low price point... This price point makes all good features twice more valuable, and all bad things almost irrelevant.
Dano1987

Post by Dano1987 »

Every 8 year old and his brother have a tenacious. I don't like them cause there is no wow factor. I prefer delica for sure.
fot0

Post by fot0 »

I really like the Tenacious, but the Delica wins hands down.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own several of each.

The Delica is definitely a nicer knife. The Tenacious is a beater workhorse. You can abuse it and not worry about it.

They both have their place.
Noah

Post by Noah »

I EDC'd a Tenacious for 3 months and I have a Delica in my pocket right now as a backup to my Endura. My Endura is by far my most carried knife and favorite of all time.

I like the Tenacious, but I prefer pretty much everything about the Delica. Not Chinese made, better ergos, slimmer, lighter, gripper, smooth contoured edges, the FRN doesn't tear the pocket up like G10 over time, much better steel, I prefer the mid lock by a mile, colorful handles, better build quality, more unique... Mostly personal preference, and the Tenacious is a good knife at a good price, but the Endura/Delica series just hits the sweet spot of carry folders for me. One thing the Tenacious and Delica/Endura share that I love is that you can grip the handle so close to the blade without an actual separate choil- the handle itself is very near to the blade. Combine that with a big Spydie thumb ramp and you have my favorite ergonomics set up.