Spyderco Mule Team MT11P - M390

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Senate

Post by Senate »

is there a particular technical reason why a stonewash finish was used on this mule?

liking it a lot!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
JLS

Post by JLS »

I finally ordered my M390 Mule last week and received it yesterday.

I brought it to work today, did a fresh cal on the hardness tester and got 60.9 and 61.2 HRC for the two samples. I think I'm going to like this one.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I had a feeling mine were about 61 based on the way they feel on the stones and how good the edge retention is. Great to have it confirmed with actual testing.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Thanks for testing the mule JLS. I really need to get one.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yes. Those are very favorable Rc numbers. :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Senate wrote:is there a particular technical reason why a stonewash finish was used on this mule?

liking it a lot!
I was wondering the same thing. Initially, I thought the finish was a byproduct of the sintering process - but it is definitely bead blasted... Looks great though.

I just finished my scales (burgundy micarta) and posted pictures over on the PICS Discussion Forum...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The finishes on the MT series have been highly variable. It's probably a combination of supplier defaults, convenience and random luck. Steels finish up differently even when subjected to the same processes, too. These are test vehicles, not intended for custom-type use, so finish is not a primary consideration.
bdaraio

Post by bdaraio »

I'm looking for Mules numbers three and five to complete my collection up throgh 11. Any ideas on where to find them for sale?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

bdaraio wrote:I'm looking for Mules numbers three and five to complete my collection up throgh 11. Any ideas on where to find them for sale?
Ebay...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Should be getting my mule on Tuesday. Pulled the trigger yesterday. If I can I'll purchase another one soon for some unorthodox testing. The kind of testing no one seems to be interested in doing. Muhahahahahaha. Might even get out my S90V mule for some comparisons
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Senate wrote:is there a particular technical reason why a stonewash finish was used on this mule?

liking it a lot!
I thought I was crazy when I took it out of the box. Didn't even know it was stonewashed when I ordered it. Very happy with the finish though. Looks great with some Halpern Titanium scales (#4)
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

DCDesigns wrote:Ebay...
Blade forums. You have to be vigilant to find them though. They pop up and random and disappear fast because of popularity.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think the stonewash finish is used on the mules so you don't feel as bad scratching them when you use them. Which is their sole purpose.