A Fantastic Day: My Visit to Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pneumothorax

A Fantastic Day: My Visit to Spyderco!

Post by Pneumothorax »

Last week, I had a medical convention thatw we were exhibiting at in Denver and I also had a free day...I finally got to visit Spyderco on Wed. 5/18. I emailed my two main contacts and found out that Charlynn would be there (yea!), but Kristi would be out of town (bummer). I got there around 11am and met Charlynn right away and she showed me aorund the SFO store and handed me off to the crew there. It was great to finally meet Charlynn after many emails and lots of her help. Great gal!

While in the store, Eric came by and we chatted for a while and then Sal came by and chatted for a while more. We of course talked knives and I gushed about how much I respected what they do at Spyderco. They were both great to talk to and down to earth. I was on cloud nine! Then a little later Joyce Laituri (marketing guru extraordinaire) came down for a visit and we talked about how great the forum is and finally Gail came by and we chatted some more. In between, I got to talk Mike & Barry (retired part time SFO) in the store about all the knives in the displays...just too much fun!!

For my purchases, I finally bought an FRN Stretch in honor of Sal and also picked up a Native 4 Carbon Fiber that I have been looking for forever. They were nice enough to throw in some pins and USB drives and Gail even gave me a polo shirt!!

All in all the fastest 2 hours I ever spent in my life. I was so geeked up that I forgot to take all the pics that I thought I would take. I apologize for the long post, but Im still so excited about my visit to mecca that I have to share. Just fantastic. I cannot say enough about how nice everyone was. A special day and now I have some special knives to commemorate my 1st visit. Will post some pics in a bit - having some technical difficulties.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Great stuff...!!!
I am so envious, and one day maybe I might actually get there...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sounds great! I hope to get over there to visit someday soon (it's only an 8 hour drive!).
:bug-red-white
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

my favorite city in the US is Denver, Colorado...trying to convince my wife to move there. but either way, we will deff visit one day and i plan on bringing my piggy bank with me when i go to the SFO ;-)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wow, sounds like a nice trip. :)

Congrats on all of it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Excellent trip. It is rare to see all those great folks in one short visit. They travel a lot.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Great event, don´t forget the Glessers are just people :D
I met them last March in Amsterdam and indeed they are really kind, especially Gail.....

T.
Tom
JLS

Post by JLS »

Very cool visit!

I still haven't made it over the mountain from Utah, but will do it someday.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Unfortunately, last time I was in Golden, I didn't get past the Coors Brewery...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Wow, what a great experience.

One day, Golden, CO! Closest so far was a plane change in Denver and a view of the Colorado mountains from high up in the New Mexico mountains.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

That must have been great. :cool:
Never been to Golden and probably never will, but a got a change to chat a bit with Sal and Eric at the A'dam meet of 2006 and I remeber it like it was yesterday.

Both Sal and Eric are very down to earth and warm people ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sounds like you had fun Mike. Hope I can make it there some day.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Trying to post a couple pics from the visit:
Eric, me (Mike), Sal -
9/11 exhibit - very powerful!
Store cases - 2 - adult candy store!!
Mike, Gail, Barry - Mike & Barry retired part time guys (that's how I want to retire!)

Well worth the visit if you're in town - FYI, cab was about $45 one way from downtown. I was going to rent a car for $50, but it would have cost me $50 just to get to the airport to get the car for that one day, so I bit the bullet and cabbed it.
Attachments
P1070262.jpg
P1070262.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
P1070260.jpg
P1070260.jpg (98.02 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
P1070259.jpg
P1070259.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
P1070257.jpg
P1070257.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
P1070254.jpg
P1070254.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pneumothorax,

Thanx for visiting the store. It's always pleasant to put a face to a name. Thanx also for the support.

sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Cool pics PT, especially the first one ;)
I can imagine it was a candystore for adults. Especially because it´s ´Spydie´s homebase´ in Golden. I know the candy-store feeling. Can you imagine how I felt when I found in a similar candy-store a Millie S90V CF last month? :D
Tom
KBR

Post by KBR »

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I really love the fact that Sal, Eric and Spydie crew are so down to earth and eager to meet their ELUs and, as Sal mentioned, put a face to the name. One day, I hope to make it out to every Spydie fans' graceland, disneyland, etc., etc...... :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I guess I'm spoiled in the fact that I work only 5-10 minutes from there. I'm sure my wife wishes I worked much farther away :rolleyes: . I probably get up there once every few weeks and every single time I go I leave impressed with the professionalism and friendly demeanor of the SFO staff. They are VERY patient people as I often ask to look at knife after knife after knife, , , comparing 3, 4, or 5 and trying to narrow it down to the one I will purchase that visit. I think all Spyderco enthusiasts who visit the SFO for the 1st time will leave being even bigger fans.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Sweet! I'm pretty sure I'll get there one day. My plan is to stop there and in Boise to visit CRK while on a motorcycle trip, on my BMW R1200GS that I don't have yet.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sounds like you had more than a great time. I've been there myself a couple of times and you capture the experience very well. Thanks for the pics!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Slash

Post by Slash »

good times I could imagine. did you pay retail for those knives or get a deal?