My first Spydie - Delica 4

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
pmek5

My first Spydie - Delica 4

Post by pmek5 »

I just got my first Spyderco knife at age 50. I only own a few knives prior to this one (BM 3100 Auto Benchmite I carried for a few years, BM 943, and a Small Sebenza 21). I like to carry, and or use what I have; thus I don't plan on having a lot of knives. I must admit, in the past I have bypassed Spyderco. I think it was the basic blade style/ hole. Well I have spent the last month reading threads, and watching reviews. I learned a lot about this company that has a large loyal following, and the great quality (and when the man himself takes the time to answer, and chime in on these forums - that speaks volumns to me). These knives have grown on me. Anyway - I chose the Delica 4. This will be my weekend, trips up to the cabin, and other outings knife. I am also waiting for the Native 5 which would go into my workday EDC rotation.

I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I bought the same knife as my first Spyderco it's still my favorite knife. I like what you did with the pocket clip on yours. Welcome to the forum.
Spyder Count: 7
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

Thanks "I like sharp things". I ordered a polished clip from Spyderco. I think the polished clip makes the knife really nice looking with the other hardware.
BeyondRazor

Post by BeyondRazor »

pmek5 wrote:I must admit, in the past I have bypassed Spyderco. I think it was the basic blade style/ hole. Well I have spent the last month reading threads, and watching reviews. I learned a lot about this company that has a large loyal following, and the great quality (and when the man himself takes the time to answer, and chime in on these forums - that speaks volumns to me).

I am also waiting for the Native 5 which would go into my workday EDC rotation.
Spyderco probably has the best EDC knives in terms of design and steel choice. You made a good decision. The Boye Dent lock on your knife is one of the most effective and simple designs Spyderco uses. Put a few drops of oil into the spine area around the screw and let it soak into the lock and crevices. This will make it easier to deploy. If you have a thin applicator put a drop into the handle and near the spine where the swivel point is when the blade is open. Then close the knife and put a drop into the same area near the spine where the swivel point is where your thumb would be. Open and close it a few times to break it in more. This is the process I use for all Spyderco knives of this design type.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the CPM-Sxx steels. They are a little too brittle imo (overly high Vanadium). If you are waiting on the Native 5 (CPM-S35VN) consider sticking with the VG steel perhaps in another model. I feel this is more practical for EDC uses. YMMV of course. Also check out the Manix2 (154CM). It's a little nicer than the Native and may be a good option for you. Some models have liners which will increase the weight and some do not. The Native 5 has liners which personally I don't like at all; makes it too much like a Benchmade knife. There are good reviews online of this knife. I have a few serrated Native 4s and they have chipped out in a few places under normal use. But, they are still great knives and I enjoy using them. :D
"If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut!"
EZ Bake

Post by EZ Bake »

pmek5 wrote:Thanks "I like sharp things". I ordered a polished clip from Spyderco. I think the polished clip makes the knife really nice looking with the other hardware.
Man, I was just going to ask about that - looks very sharp.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome! Gorgeous color you chose there, and nice pics. I thought Spydercos looked weird, but when I finally tried them, I saw all the benefits of their designs. Now, I only use Spyderco, and most other knives look and feel weird to me. Also, the hole is the surest and safest one hand opening mechanism there is. Enjoy your knife. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Nice picture!

I just ordered the blue endura and it will be here thurs/Friday. The black clip will come off, sanded down, and polished even before a carry it.

The delica wasn't my first spyder, but so far, it's my favorite.

Congrats!
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

pmek5 wrote:Thanks "I like sharp things". I ordered a polished clip from Spyderco. I think the polished clip makes the knife really nice looking with the other hardware.
I didn't know they sold those pocket clips. I might have to buy one just so I don't have to mess with the one I have now. Spare parts never hurt either.
Spyder Count: 7
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:I didn't know they sold those pocket clips. I might have to buy one just so I don't have to mess with the one I have now. Spare parts never hurt either.
Sent you a PM.
amar

Post by amar »

Delica4 is a beautiful knife - perfect as an EDC, yet occupies very less space in your pocket (think of a voluminous ZT here!). I did use BM, but them somehow did not like their locks, and the ergo on the handles.

It is a surprising, but common fact that most users are first turned off by the odd-looking shapes, but eventually end up liking it the most. I am in the same boat as well.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your Spyderco.
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

I am going to throw out an offer for a free polished clip for an Delica 4. Long story short - I ended up with an extra one due to USPS's machine problems, and getting delayed, and Spyderco's wonderful customer service. Anyway, I asked Spyderco if they wanted me to send the extra back, and they to just keep it. So I will pass it on the the first one who PM's me. I will go by time & date. One catch - you must currently have a Delica 4 FFG, and live in the ConUSA (hey - I'm mailing this for free). Please be aware the screws that came with it are not the same as the ones from the factory. But, your factory (polished) screws will work & match.
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

Polished clip goes to "gunnut35" - congrats!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Good purchase. I just bought the G10 version last year and if it were the only Spydie I had, I could be happy forever. There are other iconic designs, but this is what put them on the map. Of course, I do have the others and need all of them to keep me happy... :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

pmek5 wrote:Polished clip goes to "gunnut35" - congrats!

Thank you very much.
I never win anything so this is a great start to my weekend.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was pretty much sold on the thumb stud thing until I tried a Spyderco, I was also not sold on the odd shape of Spydercos. Now, I am convinced towards Spyderco. :)

Welcome.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Delica 4 foliage green frn was my first spyderco and first real knife. Still one of my favs.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

that blue is just so fresh looking..pleasing to the eye..then you pick the knife up,it almost infuses with your hand..and your hand becomes a cutting machine..well its like that with most Spydies.
Anyway,ive got the green ffg D4,and i just used this gem to make breakfast,cutting up ingredients for omelettes.
This blade lazers through foodstuff,and just askes for more! Enjoy that 'skyblue' D4..
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

pemk5
Thank you very much for the clip.
It came yesterday but i did not get it out of the mail until today. I have had the blue delica since they came out but have not carried it because i did not care for the black clip on it. The polished clip is just perfect and now this will go into my EDC rotation.
Once again, "Thank you"
Shawn
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

Your welcome gunnut35. Thanks for the great pics.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I got one a few days ago, as soon as I opened it, I knew it would be my favourite.....I was right :D