Best Survival Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Post by cckw »

What is the difference between knife models? I mean really. 90% of the difference is shape isn't it? A few different handle materials, but mostly G10... stainless liners... and Mostly S30V steel. So in the end there isn't much difference from knife to knife other then shape, is there?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Slash wrote:running from a bear is the one thing you don't want to do...unless you're stupid?
I can run the mile in 22 seconds. Oh and I have a .50 cal in my truck at all times.

Yea running from the bear is stupid. Then again compared to the knife duel? :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Blerv wrote:I can run the mile in 22 seconds. Oh and I have a .50 cal in my truck at all times.

Yea running from the bear is stupid. Then again compared to the knife duel? :)
you obviously have a different concept of survival in the wilderness from the rest of the world.
maybe you can start your own show featuring your truck and the .50 cal?

least you admit running from a bear is stupid.

but, using a folding spydie instead of a large fixed blade against a bear attack is also not very bright.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Slash wrote:you obviously have a different concept of survival in the wilderness from the rest of the world.
maybe you can start your own show featuring your truck and the .50 cal?

least you admit running from a bear is stupid.

but, using a folding spydie instead of a large fixed blade against a bear attack is also not very bright.
I thought my 163 mile per hour run speed was a clear indication of the whimsy. :) I can't do that nor own the the .50 cal.

Running is stupid but so is fighting a bear with any knife is moreso. I know some hunt tigers and boars in Africa with large knives. My Swahili is a bit rough but the word in English is "moron". :rolleyes: A bear would further push that principle.

I caught your sarcasm with the initial response of using a folding knife against a bear. You can rest assured we don't think you would fight one with a fixed blade.
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

I fought a bear with a pair of plastic pasta tongs once. Mind you that was years ago and things were different then. I couldn't run very fast either, hence the tongs. I'm sure it would have turned out differently if I hadn't had 6 months experience serving in an Italian restaurant.

Still here to tell the tale :D
jossta

Post by jossta »

Hey, Brad Pitt seemed do pretty well in Legends of the Fall... :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Always bring a Chuck Norris to a bear fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XUgE6g7XU
Slash

Post by Slash »

Give me a large fixed blade and 2 weeks. I'll come back with a nice sized pelt to be mounted.

could I also accomplish that task with a folding spydie? sure.
would I rather have a large fixed blade? absolutely

not talking about fighting a bear with a knife either.
setting homemade traps among other things are done faster and easier with a large fixed blade.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I would pick either any Millie or PM2 (preferably the new 20CP PM2 sprint) and also carry a small double sided DMT C/F diamond "stone" (the light weight folding honeycomb type if they make that one in C/F) to refresh the edge when necessary, (which probably wouldn't be too often).

That CTS-20CP steel is great stuff plus the compression lock is very strong and the ergos on both the Millie and the PM2 are fine for extended hard use.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I was under the impression that one of the more effective bear defenses was the hollow handled FB knife, with a walking stick to jam said knife onto. If you have basic competence with a spear you can keep a good distance and should the bear try to rare back and jump on you, you pretty much let gravity and the makeshift spear do the work.

Assuming that the looking large, making noise, etc is not enough to make the bear figure you not to be prey. After all, I think the wise policy would be: Don't bring a man to a bear fight. KnowhutImean?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Slash

Post by Slash »

You must have seen "The Edge".

I'M GONNA KILL THE BEAR!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALOI63X_CE
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Best survival folder......the one in your pocket! Any one you have on you you would have to make due.

I know I might get flammed for this one but this has been an true workhorse for many and if one scans the forums it comes up in many pictures.

Not my picture but the Victorinox Farmer

If it has to be a Spyderco. Anyone really. I can make good amount of kindling with a Delica and a few of the people I know in mountain rescue only carry a Victorinox one hand trekker. Practice with whatever you have...practice, practice, practice!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I'd go with my trusty Tasman salt SE and Military. I use them hard and neither one has given me any ****.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

knowledge and skill would play a much bigger role in a survival situation than any knife, folder or fixed blade. Any good quality knife would help though, from the Dragonfly to the Bushcraft and more.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
unit

Post by unit »

dbcad wrote:knowledge and skill would play a much bigger role in a survival situation than any knife, folder or fixed blade. Any good quality knife would help though, from the Dragonfly to the Bushcraft and more.
Hmmm, sounds about right to me.

The brain is primary tool to aid you in any survival situation. Every other tool is secondary to that...and I think that no secondary tool can be developed enough to make up for and under-developed primary tool ;)

It is RARE that a good technique and rational thinking results in a broken knife...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
BAL

Post by BAL »

The bug.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

+1 on using your knife wisely - cannot afford to "lose" it.

If it is to be a Spydie, my vote would be SuperLeaf. Ergos just work better for me than the Manix, and it is also a pretty hefty slab of VG-10.

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
JD Spydo

C-60 Massad Ayoob, G-10 handled

Post by JD Spydo »

I just recently in the past 2 months did a radical change in my EDC>> I've started carrying a much larger folder for my primary standard pocket knife. I am currently carrying the G-10 handled, Sprint Run Massad Ayoob C-60 PE ( and I wish they would do a run in SE too).

To me it would be a survivalist's dream folder. Now I have nothing against some of Spyderco's beefier line up like the Chinook models, Manix models and for sure the C-36 Military models. but this Ayoob is so ergonomically perfect to me that I'll probably be EDCing this great blade for the next 2 to 4 years pending any new model that would beat it out.

Now for a fixed blade survival knife I would probably go with this newer Southfork or the Temp 2. You can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

I second the Chinook one suggestion. I've had mine for years and it's still as good as the day it came out of the box.

For modern folders, I'd go with the Gayle Bradley
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jasonp1 wrote:I second the Chinook one suggestion. I've had mine for years and it's still as good as the day it came out of the box.

For modern folders, I'd go with the Gayle Bradley
The award for the most manly knife picture...goes to...

*drumroll*

THIS GUY!!! --------------------------------------------^