Bringing Your Spydies to Dinner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Just used my SE ZDP-189 Delica at Longhorn's on Mother's Day. Steak was a bit too thick, & with some gristle, for me to power through it with the supplied utensils.

Cleaned it up with the napkin as best I could until I got it home. Once home I just touched up the edge on the Sharpmaker & cleaned it with some mineral oil.

Little bit of effort but I love the feeling I get when I actually have a reason to use my knives. :)
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Halfneck wrote:Just used my SE ZDP-189 Delica at Longhorn's on Mother's Day. Steak was a bit too thick, & with some gristle, for me to power through it with the supplied utensils.

Cleaned it up with the napkin as best I could until I got it home. Once home I just touched up the edge on the Sharpmaker & cleaned it with some mineral oil.

Little bit of effort but I love the feeling I get when I actually have a reason to use my knives. :)
I use mine in eating places all the time. I used my blue stretch to divvie up a large blueberry muffin in a coffee shop yesterday. Wiped it up as you said, and cleaned it when I got home.
unit

Post by unit »

I usually drink ice water. I use a small splash of said water and a napkin to clean my blade. Takes a few seconds...took me longer to type this actually.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Sorry guys, but I would find any use of a pocketknife in a restaurant tacky in the extreme. A true gentleman will make due with the tools given, and if the food is tough to the point that even the cheapest diner cutlery won't do the job, I'd have it back to the cook double-time.

As the saying goes; just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Just saying.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jinx wrote:Sorry guys, but I would find any use of a pocketknife in a restaurant tacky in the extreme. A true gentleman will make due with the tools given, and if the food is tough to the point that even the cheapest diner cutlery won't do the job, I'd have it back to the cook double-time.

Just saying.

As the saying goes, opinions are like a******s.....
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I use mine in eating places all the time. I used my blue stretch to divvie up a large blueberry muffin in a coffee shop yesterday. Wiped it up as you said, and cleaned it when I got home.
Next time I'm in the Philippines and see someone using a Spyderco I'm going to walk over and say "Hello Chuck, nice to meet you" ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jinx wrote:Sorry guys, but I would find any use of a pocketknife in a restaurant tacky in the extreme. A true gentleman will make due with the tools given, and if the food is tough to the point that even the cheapest diner cutlery won't do the job, I'd have it back to the cook double-time.

Just saying.
Personally, I've never claimed to be a gentleman, but here's a quote by A.G. Russell, who I consider to be one, in an ad for a folder intended for use as a steak knife....
I recently saw a number of very fine handmade folders by makers like Ron Lake, Royal Hanson and T.M. Dowell, all further enhanced by top engravers. Every knife had been used as a steak knife. I understand a gentleman's desire to use his own knife for cutting meat, even when dining in the finest restaurants. I carry my own because I like my meat cut, not shredded by one of those things they try to pass off as a steak knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SteelDragon wrote:Next time I'm in the Philippines and see someone using a Spyderco I'm going to walk over and say "Hello Chuck, nice to meet you" ;)
You're on! Dinner will be on me(assuming of course,that it's me). :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

While I don't make a habit of using my folder while dining out, I will use my folder-du-jour if the provided cutlery isn't up to the task. Having worked in a butcher shop during high school, I've learned that properly cut and served meat is just as important as the cooking. Sure, the waitress will look at it but they never mentioned it when they see me using it as if it were the regular provided knife, i.e. no flipping and twirling with the knife. I've also noticed that people who see me using, say a PPT, to cut up snacks/food/etc... for my 1,5 yr old daughter in public rarely raises an eyebrow. My daughter is a little smile factory most of the time, so that probably helps too. :D So in my experience, it's all about demeanor and how you actually use the knife in question.

PS I can't think of any classier knife to cut up a steak in a high class restaurant than the upcoming Frank Centofante Memory. Also, I´ve read about a professional food critic here in the Netherlands who refuses to use anything but one of his Lagiuole folders when in a fine restaurant. So, using your own knife isn´t necessarily tacky.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Sometimes I hear comments when I use a knife, but they are only rarely notes of concern or similar. The day I met the mother of my child, we ate at a place in Charlotte, NC and my steak had a couple of toughish strips of fat that the knife was not doing an impressive job with, so I pulled out my Merlin and made quick work of it. She told me later that she thought I was crazy, but it didn't keep her from getting involved and breeding with me :D
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

A true gentleman carries a pocket knife and handkerchief at all times. I think the word the above poster was looking for is sheep. Only a sheep would use inadequate tools given to them because they were to worried about upsetting someone.

I use my pocket knife almost every time I enter a restaurant. Whether it is to split the meal in half to share with my wife or to cut up a piece of meat, the knife gets used. I also live in a very liberal college town and have never had anything said to me or even funny looks for that matter. I don't care if someone did call the police because murdering a steak with a sharp pocket knife is fairly easy to explain and not a crime.