Your worst cutting-accident with a Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Your worst cutting-accident with a Spydie

Post by toomzz »

What is your worst accident when you hurt yourself with a Spyderco-knife?

Mine was in 1995 when I purchased my first Spyderco, Pro-grip, when one of my fingers felt the 'full potential' of the Spyder-edge. Lucky for me the cut was not deep, but I bled like h*ll....
Nowadays I cut myself almost every week, sometimes bleeding, sometimes not. Most recent was last sunday when I cut mt myself in my left index-finger with a ZDP-walker.

Tell me all about yours.... :p

Tomas
Tom
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Friend had just bought a Spyderfly at a gun show. The previous owner had switched the blade around. So when I grabbed the handle without the lock bar, and flung the knife open the edge landed in my flesh between the index and middle knuckle. :confused: :eek: This was almost 8 years ago and I still have a scar.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
moddek

Post by moddek »

I sliced the end of my thumb while clearing a jam in one of my .22s with my tenacious... that knife has caught me more than any other... and it came scary sharp
:spyder:'s: Tenacious PE, Persistence PE, Honeybee, Dragonfly G10, Blue Endura 4 FFG, Blue Lightweight UKPK

Byrd: Finch PE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

One of my early Gen1 Delicas... Fooling around in the back yard making some wood stakes from cut branches. Trying to use the Delica like a spokeshave, drawing it toward me with the stick held between by knees. Not smart, I know. And I was an Eagle Scout with my Whittlin' Chip and Pioneering badge... Anyway, let's just say I shaved a bit more than hair off of my thigh that day...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I snipped the tip off of my right thumb with my Millie last weekend. I was closing it and got careless. It didn't hurt that badly because it was such a clean cut. Dang thing bled like crazy though.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i had just bought the first carbon fiber military, i think it was S30V steel :confused: . i was at the firehouse and someone needed a knife to cut something, i started to draw out the knife but then whatever needed cutting broke by the person ripping it so i started to put the knife back in my RFP. it was part way opened which i didnt realize and I put a huge slice in my thigh. that would not stop bleeding. I was also trying to hide the fact that i cut myself so i am in the john with some bandages trying to wrap it up and sure enough the bells go off and we get a good fire. a few hours later i check on my leg and it was covered in dried up blood. To this day i wont carry tip down blades.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

I was playing around with one of my Mili's while I was watching a movie on my computerscreen. I was not really paying any attention to the blade and after a couple of minutes of playing around I got the tip of the blade stuck in my thumb.
I severed a nice big chunk from the rest of the thumb, it was still just hanging there...
First it bled for some time and after the bleeding stopped I was kind of anxious to look at it. I don't like going to hospitals so I just bandaged the my thumb up and hoped for the best.
The severed part slowly reattached itself and I got the feeling back in my thumb after about a week.
Spyderco's owned: Worker, Police (9 different versions), Captain, ATR (2x), Endura, Tenacious, Gayle Bradley, Delica, Terzuola, Terzuola Jr., Ti Military, Lum Chinese (in Ti and black), Lum Tanto Ti, Lum Tanto sprint, ParaMedic PE, Manix I, Manix I sprint, Civilian, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Starmate, Navaja

Incoming : Manix I

Want: CF Police

Grail : Civilian PE
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I was opening a Szabofly and got my thumb in the way of the blade. The blade filleted the side right off of my thumb. It took me a minute to realize what had happened, and about 2 hours to stop the bleeding. Factory edges are nice.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Fortunately I've not had a bad cutting accident with a Spydie. Spydies have only cut me lightly here and there.

I have, on the other hand, had a Victorinox Super Tinker cut me worse than any other knife I've owned. The thin blades on those things can get sooooo sharp. As a side note.....great knives. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
araneae

Post by araneae »

I had just sharpened my Dragonfly SE and decided to clean it out while I was at it. I took it to the sink and flushed out the insides. I then tapped the handle onto my other palm to get the water out and just enough of the blade caught the edge of my palm. Cut pretty deep right into the crease of my hand- one of those spots that would open up every time you flexed your hand. Took 3 stitches to close it up. The Dr. commented on how clean the cut was.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tank

Post by Tank »

:D great stories.
In 2003 I was opening some boxes at work with my SS ATR SE and just as I was cutting I got distracted by someone and shredded off a quarter of my finger tip. Had to go to the doc since it wouldnt stop bleeding and was so deep. Since it was SE blade the doc and to cut more tissue off to clean it up so I was left with a crater just shy of bone deep. It eventually filled in mostly. Fun stuff
-John
Emcee Bunzing

Post by Emcee Bunzing »

One of my worst was with my first spyderco, a 93mm waved rescue about 15 mins after i got it. I was playing around with the wave feature and i was in such a hurry to close it so that i could wave it again that i closed it right on the tip of my finger, didnt notice what happened until i tried to put it back in my pocket and realised there was blood all over my hand, and my keyboard. And it would not stop bleeding. i also have a scar in front of my wrist which lines up exactly where a knife would land if it slipped off the sharpmaker if one wasn't using the brass safety rods :rolleyes: .
You are only as sharp as your knife. "Life is short. If you don't stop and look around... and do whatever you want all the time... then you could miss it."
justinl

Post by justinl »

I was at a knife store and was playing with a byrd flight while I was waiting to be served. It was the first time I'd ever used a lockback knife so I didn't really know what I was doin. When I went to close the thing I pinched a bit too far back and as the blade swung shut it caught the top of my index. It was mostly just embarrassing to show what a knife knoob I was!

(i've since learned a bit more respect for knives!)
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

i was cutting a zip tie with salt 1 and wanted to see how much pressure it would take... good thing I have a bone in my index finger or I would have cut my finger completely off. Just glad it wasn't dragonfly zdp or I would be down a digit.
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

I was testing the edge on a 93mm wharnie modded rescue by swinging it full force through free hanging nylon rope. The came about due to the fact that I was holding the rope in my free hand. It also did not help that I had more than enough pints in me and it was about 0200. I bought 10 or so sutures out of that one. That was the last in a long line of nasty cuts brought about by stupidity. That was a few years ago and I hope I've learned my lesson.

Jeff
jossta

Post by jossta »

Mine is too embarrassing to share, but lets just say it involved alcohol, my Bradley (freshly sharpened), some duck tape that was in my way, and my thumb.

That one bled for a while.
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

Byrd Robin, cutting coax cable sheathing after my prep tool didn't finish the job right, slipped, sliced left middle finger second knuckle to the bone. 3 stitches.

Salt I SE, slipped cutting the plastic housebox I was trying to modify, sliced through left middle finger/nail. you know it's sharp when the fingernail doesn't slow the blade down anymore than the skin. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, I was new to spydies and I was experimenting with a zip tie wave on my millie(I didn't know how then). So I wound up stabbing myself in the butt. :(
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

This last Christmas i was opening packages with my new caly 3 zdp. There were alot of kids at my wifes family party and i was trying to be low key and had the blade only half opened when a couple of kids ran up to me. I was worried that they were going to bump into the blade so i stuffed it into my pocket and sliced my thumb to the bone. I did not want to freak anyone out so i went to the bathroom and wraped it in tissue but it would not stop bleeding. I was going to go to my car for my first aid kit but i could not get away because it was time for a toast and had to shove my hand in my jacket pocket. When i finally got to the first aid kit my pocket was full of blood so i used a vial of durmabond and i was good to go. Nobody even knew what happened untill on the way home that night when i showed my wife.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I occasionally get a finger cut when "playing around" and have to stick a band-aid on to stop the bleeding. I always tell the wife that I cut it on something else, sharp corner, thorn, barbed fence, mad hawk, wolverine...