New Endura opens stiff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluemoose

New Endura opens stiff

Post by Bluemoose »

I Just recieved a new Endura 4 with the blue FRN handle. Out of the box, it opened so stiffly that it took two hands. I tried loosening the pivot screw, which didn't help, so I tightened it up again. Then I drowned the pivot area in Tuf Glide. Then I opened and closed it a lot. This helped some, but it is still much stiffer than my other :spyder: s.

I'm not sure, because I've never taken one of these things apart, but it looks like the rounded back of the bladestock is being pinched a little too hard by the end of the lock bar. If the back lock is in fact too tight, does anyone know how to loosen it? I thought of prying it up with a small screwdriver, but if the steel is springy--and I think it is--then this won't work.

At this point it's not a huge problem, but I'd like to be able to flick it open a little easier.

Any ideas?
angusW

Post by angusW »

My Blue Endura was also very stiff when I got it so what I did was gave it a warm soapy bath and opened and closed it while under the water. Then dried and re-lubed with Tuf Glide. It is a somewhat better. If you really feel it's a mechanical problem, i.e. the lock bar then I wouldn't mess with it. Either send it back or call Spyderco.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
KBR

Post by KBR »

I would recommend that you just continue working the pivot and continue using Tuf-Glide on it to help break it in. Remember that if you disassemble any Spydie, in any way, you will void the warranty. If you feel the need to, or just out of curiousity want to, find out if there may be some quality control issues with this model, call customer service and let them know about your concerns....they will take care of you. ;)

Good luck
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I bought my first ever Endura a few weeks ago. Brown FFG.
It was stiff opening and hard unlock. Being a person to "fix" my own. Opened it up then bent the spring "back" a bit. It's perfect now.
Don't do this if you are not sure you can do it. Your knife may well ease up with time.

I do like my first ever Endura, brown is a nice shade. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I recently got a new Delica and it was very stiff. I opened the pivot screw so there was lots of blade play. I put Tuf-Glide in there and opened and closed it several times. I then re-tightened the pivot screw to where I wanted it. A couple of days later after opening and closing it a lot of times, I could push the lock release and the blade falls down. There is no play when locked either. I like to open the pivot screw so the lubricant gets in as much as possible without taking the knife apart.

Jack
Bluemoose

Post by Bluemoose »

Thanks, guys. The Endura is much better now, without any drastic surgery. Just kept opening it a lot, and using the Tuf glide. I guess it just needed to be broken in a bit.