Shops in LA/CA?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
pjt

Shops in LA/CA?

Post by pjt »

Hi,
will be going to LA for a work trip this April and would very much appreciate any tips what shops to visit there in order to aquire some :spyder: s and other sharp things etc. So any links to places that a gearhead might like are welcome :)

I will have a car so driving is not a problem.

There's quite many links for CA on the Spyderco page, that's why I ask for the "walk-in gems".

You can send them by private messaging too!

Thanks in advance guys,
-pjt
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

There's Recon1 in Tarzana. (about 30 minutes from LA) I have a good friend that works there.

19423 VENTURA BLVD. TARZANA, CA 91356
http://www.recon1.com

Advance Cutlery is in the Santa Anita Mall but I think that might have closed down as of March 21st.

If you're passing by, there is also Plaza Cutlery with the most Spydercos, Benchmades, Striders, William Henry, Chris Reeve and Surefires you will ever find in a store. It is about an hour away in Costa Mesa in a mall called South Coast Plaza. Their selection is incredible and I highly recommend taking the trip down here. The mall is absolutely beautiful as well.

South Coast Plaza. 3333 Bristol Street Costa Mesa, CA 92626
http://www.plazacutlery.com/

Also, assuming you're here for your first time, you should check out REI. They have a great variety of outdoor gear and supplies. It is pretty darn fun to shop/look around.

Best of luck and I wish you a safe trip.
onecentweasel

Post by onecentweasel »

I'd also recommend recon 1... I have been shopping there for the past 20 years and have always left with a great deal... They are very generous with their regulars, but if you are new and friendly it is pretty easy to talk down their marked prices....
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

plaza is quite nice. here are some pics of the spydies (taken 7/10)

obviously they dont have some of the models pictured below

Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

I wish I could find a shop with half the selection of that place...
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

one of the redeeming qualities of living in socal :D
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
pjt

Post by pjt »

Good stuff guys, thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

I have to start punching these in into my navigator.

-pjt
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

MAN i live in SoCal and have never seen a shop that carriers that many Spydercos, I guess your best bet is to go to that place 100%
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I'm in OC and go to Plaza Cutlery several times a year to check out Knives. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't buy there since I can get much, much better deals online. It's like a candy store!!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
pjt

Post by pjt »

Got back from LA last night. Went to Plaza Cutlery, REI and Recon1. All definitely worth visiting!
Bought stuff from Recon1 and Plaza and received _very good_ service in both. Plaza guys threw in a t-shirt after hearing I had come such a long way. At Recon1 they helped me to get the items I asked that they did not have in the store. I picked them up later that same day! :cool:

Thanks again for the tips, I definitely recommend them too!

So what did I get then? Below a list:
-Para-military2 digicamo PE
-Dragonfly G-10 Foliage green PE (for a friend in exchange for an old SE Executive)
-Manix2 G-10 Black CE (for a friend)
-Benchmade Mini-Griptilian
-Small Swiss army knife (for the GF at home :) )

The Para-military was a bit of an extra one, first time I even saw and handled the second generation - I was immediately hooked :D

Managed to stay away from the Military Ti Flute that was on display at Recon1, the handle deco is very nice on that one.

-pjt
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I lived a couple exits down from Recon1 and never knew they were there! There's a Carl's Jr across the street that I would get food from almost every week, so I guess I just wasn't paying very good attention. I may have to swing by tomorrow and check out the fluted Ti Military!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com