thinking about a manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdcsk8r

thinking about a manix 2

Post by jdcsk8r »

I was thinking of getting a manix 2. I read and have seen a bunch of reviews on the net and youtube. This blade just seem absolutely perfect, but I saw a video where a guy did a spine whack test and the lock failed so easily. Is this still a problem or did they fix it? Has anyone had this problem? Iwont be abusing it but I will be using it in the field and probably pretty hard and would like to keep my fingers. Can anybody throw me a bone?
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Hi,

That video has been the subject of some hot discussions on the forums. The damage to the lock was examined by Spyderco and determined to be the result of multiple strikes on an already damaged knife. I don't want to speak for the tester or Spyderco but that's about what I remember.

There were some changes made to the knife to prevent this sort of damage from abuse. The real damage was done by over-strikes and the defeated lock by the spinewacks afterward was just a side effect.

I own something like a dozen Manix 2s. I am very confident about the knife.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

I am also thinking of a new M2 with CTS-BD1 and a real good price :) go :spyder:
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

If you want a rock solid knife that is built like a tank for heavier than normal use, you need one. If you're not sure, the original M2 in 154CM for $70-80 is a deal that cant be beat.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

jdcsk8r,
The Manix 2 is an incredibly solid knife, and easily one of the best values in the :spyder: lineup. Is it a fixed blade? No. But it can (and does) hold its own with many knives that are advertised as being super tough at a much better price point, especially when you look at the materials used in the knife and the fact that it is made in the USA.

FWIW, there have been some minor modifications to the knife to help prevent failures even under some of the rather abusive conditions used to make the knife fail. I know that I would personally trust either of my Manix 2s under almost any conditions that don't involve trying to use them as breaching tools or in the place of real prybars.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

If your day-to-day knife activities include multiple 'spine-whacks' then the Manix2, or any folder for that matter, probably is not for you. However, if you are looking for a superb knife that's built really well, relatively light for what it is, has great ergos, and fit and finish, then the Manix2 is hard to beat. I can't say enough about it.
jdcsk8r

Post by jdcsk8r »

Cool thanks guys. It will be next on my list. I used to only buy benchmades, but after I bought my first spyderco I don't think ill ever go back again.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

defenestrate wrote:jdcsk8r,
I know that I would personally trust either of my Manix 2s under almost any conditions that don't invovle trying to use them as breaching tools or in the place of real prybars.
That's really the sum of the matter in a nutshell.
Rudeco

Post by Rudeco »

Manix 2 are the way to go, lovin my 3 M2!!!
DaHolla

Post by DaHolla »

Do we know for sure that the fixes have been made?
“Pain or damage don’t end the world. Or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man… and give some back.” Al Swearengen-Deadwood
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jdcsk8r wrote:I was thinking of getting a manix 2. I read and have seen a bunch of reviews on the net and youtube. This blade just seem absolutely perfect
Oh yeh, the manix 2 is an excellent knife. The regular one is especially a very good "bang for your buck" knife.

jdcsk8r wrote:but I saw a video where a guy did a spine whack test and the lock failed so easily. Is this still a problem or did they fix it? Has anyone had this problem? Iwont be abusing it but I will be using it in the field and probably pretty hard and would like to keep my fingers. Can anybody throw me a bone?
The guy has long since repented and done his penance. :p
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Manix 2 is a terrific value :D Mine has been sitting for a while and this thread pushed me to take it out and appreciate it all over again :D The plain jane Manix2 is a lot of knife for the buck :D
Attachments
manix2 small.jpg
manix2 small.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I think the spine whack is not a valid test because it is not a normal use practice. A bit like testing a Ruger red label on its ability to beat a bear to death with the butt. It is a shot gun & best used in that capacity, same as the Manix is a folder, not an axe. Even an axe will be ruined by using its pommel as a sledge hammer. Some folk can even break a sledge hammer. So all sledge hammers are inherently weak & therefore useless ?
O.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

O,just,O wrote:I think the spine whack is not a valid test because it is not a normal use practice. A bit like testing a Ruger red label on its ability to beat a bear to death with the butt. It is a shot gun & best used in that capacity, same as the Manix is a folder, not an axe. Even an axe will be ruined by using its pommel as a sledge hammer. Some folk can even break a sledge hammer. So all sledge hammers are inherently weak & therefore useless ?
O.
I do think it is a valid test especially for a folder that will be used for SD in an edge in reverse grip. In such a grip, there might be an instance where you are driving forward and the spine makes hard contact. In fact I have done so several times in cutting dummy sessions where I was inaccurate with where my tip was as I was trying a low stab and rip.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Yep, fair enough chuck. Not to argue, but then again the red label may be the better choice.
O.
manixSA

Post by manixSA »

Pneumothorax wrote:If you want a rock solid knife that is built like a tank for heavier than normal use, you need one. If you're not sure, the original M2 in 154CM for $70-80 is a deal that cant be beat.
I agree Pneumo. I bought my M2 for $85 and I still think it is a great deal at that price. THe knife just feels like it will last a long time and 154CM is great stuff.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Manix 2 is an amazing knife. I edc the dlc coatedx 154cm
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Don't think, just buy :D

You will be happy you did. It is by far my favorite Spyderco knife. I carry my Stag Arms edition all the time!
Vic