How is your Para 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is the status of your Paramilitary 2?

I have no blade play, the blade opens easily, and the lock bar operates smoothly.
63%
I have blade play that I cannot get rid of.
7%
I had blade play out of the box, but I was able to adjust it away.
4%
The detent is too strong or too weak and I cannot fix it.
3%
The detent was too strong or too weak, but I was able to adjust it away.
No votes
My lock bar sticks.
13%
My lock bar used to stick, but I was able to adjust it away.
5%
I had to send mine in for warranty, but now it works fine.
No votes
I got rid of mine, it solved all of my problems.
1%
My Para 2 has issues, but I am still happy with it.
4%

Total votes: 120

Donut

How is your Para 2?

Post by Donut »

I want to get a feel for the percentage of users that are having issues with their Para 2's. I've heard a number of complaints, but it's hard to get a feel for the overall happiness of people with their products.

You may choose multiple options if you own more than one Para 2 or if more than one option fits the description of your Para 2.

Thanks for viewing. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I'm lovin' mine even though it has some very very slight horizontal blade play . . . so slight, it's really not a problem. Just wish it wasn't there. Unfortunately, I couldn't adjust it out w/o making the pivot too tight. But as I said, it's so slight it's really not a problem. Vertical blade play is non existent . . it's rock solid. Overall, my favorite knife so far. Got another one on order for backup and hope to get some future sprint versions, if there ever are any more.

My only other criticism is I wish it had come with a non shiny more discrete clip (perhaps bead blasted) and I wish the black blade versions came with all black hardware.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Donut

Post by Donut »

mongatu, that's about what mine is. I have a gray one on preorder.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Donut wrote:mongatu, that's about what mine is. I have a gray one on preorder.
So do I but unfortunately I was so late to that party that it would take a miracle for me to get my order filled. Unless maybe Spyderco decides to make a lot more of them than usual.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I'm the only dope that voted for sticky lock-bar. I've been breaking this thing in forever and it still sticks. It's not nearly as bad as it was. I still love it; super tight lockup and supreme ergos outweigh the sticky lock.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I absolutely love mine but it's sort of a pain to close. Not a big issue. No blade play at all. It has really become my favourite knife.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
MCM

Post by MCM »

A: I have no blade play, the blade opens easily, and the lock bar operates smoothly.

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

MCM wrote:A: I have no blade play, the blade opens easily, and the lock bar operates smoothly.

Nice family you got there!

Anyways, the knife is perfect. I cannot think of anything else it needs done to it.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

My Para 2 is flawless. I opened the box 2 months ago and I only clean it once in a while. No Bladepaly, smooth operation, no adjustments needed!
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
JimP

Post by JimP »

I had read about sticking locks and blade play on the Para 2, so before I received mine yesterday I was expecting some small issues.

To my excitement I received a Para 2 which operates as smoothly as my well worn Para 1 but much tighter in lock up and zero play, it's perfect! :)
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I have the first run Para 2 and have had none of the problems cited. Maybe because I don't have a Para 1 to compare it to. The one thing I have to admit is that I didn't think I would really like it, but it keeps popping to the top of my list when I want to carry a longer blade. Ivotednit most versatile in another thread. No problems helpsmwith thenimage maybe??
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I have 3 Para 2s,
- one is perfect,
- the other has a slight side to side play that cannot be adjusted,
- third was adjusted to eliminate side to side play but has a slightly sticky lock.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

It's been good for me. The lock bar takes a little more force to disengage than an average knife, but it doesn't seem excessive. I prefer a slightly stiffer lock anyways because it seems like there is less chance that the lock will disengage by mistake.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

The blade detent is stiff, and the lock sticks, but I prefer a stiff detent, and the Compression Lock always sticks.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

which one? :p :D ;)

i have them all. the dlc and non dlc digi-cams, the para s30v with ALL THREE VARIANTS WITH ALL THREE SAL/ERIC INITIALS, the all dlc with black handle and the cf s90v, with the grey on the way any day now...?
sal? taz? anybody?

so, yes all are fine specimens! i will say the digi-cam g10 had some rough edge's around it - on the satin blade version... :(

*-BUT AS A USER ITS ALL GOOD-*
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

i envy you so much mcm lol. The s90v manix 2 is one of my biggest regrets X.X
Dune

Post by Dune »

Mine is as close to perfect as a knife can get! It is a tad off center, but has the most solid lockup of any folding knife I've ever held...it's that stout. The back compression lock is supposed to be a little strong to disengage though right? Mine sticks a little but it's not that bad...I close mine with my "bird" finger. It gives me a better purchase on the knife since I can hold it tighter with my pointing finger being on top of the knife plus gives me more leverage for pushing in the comp lock bar. I can play with it forever without finger fatigue. I think this is the best well rounded knife I've owned so far...not to heavy, awesome ergos, awesome blade, super fast opening, and just downright sexy!! Will owning more than one make me even more happy? We might just have to see?!! :D
Knife list..... Paramilitary 2 , Sage 1 , Delica 4, Endura 4 FFG

Knife Wants....Manix 2, Caly 3, Tenacious, Dragonfly 2
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dune wrote:It is a tad off center
Dune wrote:Mine is as close to perfect as a knife can get!
I bet a knife can get closer to perfect than a tad uncentered blade. ;)

I have a few knives with uncentered blades. They work fine. I'm satisfied and happy with them. They are not as close to perfect as a knife can get.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of the people who say their lock sticks...how many of you have done or frequently do inertia openings? Be honest... ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dune

Post by Dune »

As a whole the knife is "as close to perfect" mine maybe not be but the design is perfect IMO...others may vary. When I say "off center" I mean not perfectly perfectly perfectly centered. It is in no way close to rubbing.

I don't do inertia openings on the Para 2 they just aren't as fun as on others I've used. It's a lot more fun to do a under the knife open with my middle finger. It totally flys open.

Here's what I'm talking about...not really that bad IMO

Knife list..... Paramilitary 2 , Sage 1 , Delica 4, Endura 4 FFG

Knife Wants....Manix 2, Caly 3, Tenacious, Dragonfly 2