Uneven Lock Bar on a Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tecstrat

Uneven Lock Bar on a Delica

Post by tecstrat »

Am I the only one with an uneven lock bar on a delica 4 FFG?? :confused:

I know this is not a huge deal but it is very annoying when using the blade for longer periods of time. Its as if the lock bar is just slightly too long and cant sit all the way into the notch in the tang of the blade. Its been this way ever since I purchased it. I have never had this problem with any of my other Spyderco blades.

Is there an easy fix or am I better off sending this back to Spyderco to have it adjusted?

Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I'd say send it to W&R. Did you try to push it down? It may be able to shave off enough metal to provide clearance. I'd recommend contacting/sending it to W&R.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
tecstrat

Post by tecstrat »

Frapiscide wrote:I'd say send it to W&R. Did you try to push it down? It may be able to shave off enough metal to provide clearance. I'd recommend contacting/sending it to W&R.
Yeah its not budging! Guess I will mail it in, just was hoping not to have to. Thx!
Native89

Post by Native89 »

Same thing here.
Bought a Grey Endura FFG and Delica FFG last month. With only the Delica having the above symptom.

However, it is not as severe as yours and I find that it has no effect on the operation of the knife.
scout

Post by scout »

I know this may sound condescending, but check for lint in the lock interface.
(happens to me more frequently than I would like to admit)
tecstrat

Post by tecstrat »

scout wrote:I know this may sound condescending, but check for lint in the lock interface.
(happens to me more frequently than I would like to admit)
Yeah thats not the case here. Its as clean as could be but thanks for the suggestion!
tecstrat

Post by tecstrat »

Native89 wrote:Same thing here.
Bought a Grey Endura FFG and Delica FFG last month. With only the Delica having the above symptom.

However, it is not as severe as yours and I find that it has no effect on the operation of the knife.
Thx for the post. I guess it makes me feel a little better knowing I am not the only one! I actually just ordered another Delica FFG with the green FRN. I am hoping that one does not show up with the same issue.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

I didn't have this on my Delica 4, but it's on my Assist. I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't affect the operation of the knife, and I kind of like having the extra metal there. My friend "knifesturbated" so much with his Byrd that the lockback sunk noticeably into the frame, so I know the lock bar will wear even eventually.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

That is something that would make me insatiably curious as to where the mis-fit is and I would end up taking the knife apart. :D

Reminds me of a problem I had long ago when I bought a new Interarms Walther PPK, and there was a problem with the sear. I am not a gunsmith, but I was able to partially disassemble the gun to the point that I figured out where the problem was in advance of taking it in to get worked on.

If you don't want to risk voiding your knife's warranty, though, send it back to Spyderco.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Tsujigiri wrote:I didn't have this on my Delica 4, but it's on my Assist. I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't affect the operation of the knife, and I kind of like having the extra metal there...
I guess it's not an uncommon problem, my assist has the same problem as well. It's not a huge issue, and I've learnt to live with it. It's almost like a large "jimp".

1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's not unheard of for the front end of a mid lock's lockbar to be a bit high in ether the open or closed position. While that Delica's does not seem excessively so to me, the only way to be sure is to send it back to Spyderco and let them decide whether it's within normal tolerances.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I got a Stretch that was a factory second and it had the exact same "problem". it was protruding about as much as your D4. I found absolutely nothing else wrong with it, so it must have been the issue it had.
If you don't like it, give them a call/email and ask, they'll probably ask you to send it in. :)
tecstrat

Post by tecstrat »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Once my new Delica shows up in a day or two I think I will be sending this one in. I will post the end results when I get the knife back.