Anyone here with gayle Bradley with date code JJ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

Post by unit »

I am curious if the OP had issues with the factory edge?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think crimson shooter reprofiled his GB with the edge pro Ken. He did it a few times, IIRC. He still had the same issues.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Both people who had this issue reprofiled to about 35 deg.--it's interesting that they both were within about a degree of eachother's angle..but I can't see how that could cause this kind of performance dropoff
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mentaculous wrote:Both people who had this issue reprofiled to about 35 deg.--it's interesting that they both were within about a degree of eachother's angle..but I can't see how that could cause this kind of performance dropoff
My user GB is at around 30 degrees with the edge pro. It came pretty close to that from the factory. When I first saw Crimson Tideshooter's post at the other forum, I immediately set about cutting some cardboard. The edge on mine held up much better than how he described his. My other GB with just the factory edge touched up on the sharpmaker also held up well. My date stamps are JJ and KJ.

I am also interested in knowing what further developments about this and if CTS did send to spyderco, what they say about it.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Have two KJ´s, one since january, one since a week. Did a lot of cutting (and chopping) with the GB (mainly EDC). Paper, fruit, vegetables, cardboard, thick leather and much more. No rolling or chipping, resharpened the knives multiple times. M/F/UF rods and the plain leather strop makes it freaking sharp again. No issues, AFAIK with the january knife. The week-old-one will get it's share. They both come from the same supplier. Still a winner :rolleyes:

Keep us posted, I am curious to hear the reasons and solutions...
Tom
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm very interested in the final verdict on this issue as well. I have a Manix 2 w/M4 ordered but haven't paid for it. If I decide not to get it because of a lack of edge retention it will probably break my heart. That knife has ALL the things I like all in one knife. Great steel (?), FFG, ergonomics, etc. I know this thread is dealing with the GB but really it seems to be dealing with the M4. There are now 3 threads about concern for this steel as of this morning. There is this one, another one, and one I started. Does this indicate a real problem or just coincidence in timing. My thread was started as a result of reading the other two.

Jack
btb27823

Gayle Bradley issues

Post by btb27823 »

The Mentaculous wrote:I'm really interested in the resolution of this issue, as I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Bradley next week (from CS, no less). However, now I'm a bit gunshy about getting one from the same batch now that there are multiple people with this issue

Edit--BTW--Anyone who has a GB from CS, with around the same production date, if you could post your experience with the steel performance I would be very grateful. It could put my mind at ease.
For follow-up. Talked with Charlene and sent my GB to CS on Tue. They will be doing hardness testing and 'maybe' some edge retention tests depending on what they find. Will get back with results as soon as I hear.
btb27823

Post by btb27823 »

Talked with Charlene and sent my GB in for testing on Tue. They will do hardness and perhaps edge retention testing depending on what they find. Will let you all know what I hear from them. My date code is KJ and I have the same rolling/chipping/poor edge retention issues as ChrimsonTideShooter. Arrgh!
The Mentaculous

I got my GB a few days ago, and the test results have left me a bit puzzled. When I got it, I stropped the factory edge for about 20 minutes until it would push cut through paper with no resistance. It was very, very responsive to sharpening/stropping. Much more so than S30v, so that alone seemed suspicious. Today, I tested it with 40-50 short cuts through regular cardboard (1/4"?).

The cuts were done diagonally to the corrugation, and an average of about 8" in length. I felt no significant increase in resistance going through the cardboard, but when I did a paper cut test afterward, the edge was certainly affected. The spots that were used the most in the cutting seemed to have rolled (could feel it with my fingernail), and would snag on the paper when attempting a push cut. I really thought I did not have a burr on my edge--it would push cut through paper more smoothly and with less drag than just about any other edge (although it was suspiciously easy to bring back the edge).

So what do you guys think? Is this consistent with CPM-M4, or should the edge have had basically no change after +/- 45 cuts? It certainly held up better than 8cr13 or Gin 1, but not to the level I expected. Honestly, after using it on the sharpmaker, etc, it does feel softer than I would have expected, but I am certainly no expert.

I guess I will wait to hear the results of BTB's tests. Thank you for sending it in and posting the results here, as I really would like more information before I send it in. Mine is also a KJ from cutleryshoppe.

If anyone with experience could let me know what they think about my test results, it would be much appreciated. I don't want to have to send this in, but I might have to...
unit

Post by unit »

The Mentaculous wrote:I got my GB a few days ago, and the test results have left me a bit puzzled. When I got it, I stropped the factory edge for about 20 minutes until it would push cut through paper with no resistance. It was very, very responsive to sharpening/stropping. Much more so than S30v, so that alone seemed suspicious. Today, I tested it with 40-50 short cuts through regular cardboard (1/4"?).

The cuts were done diagonally to the corrugation, and an average of about 8" in length. I felt no significant increase in resistance going through the cardboard, but when I did a paper cut test afterward, the edge was certainly affected. The spots that were used the most in the cutting seemed to have rolled (could feel it with my fingernail), and would snag on the paper when attempting a push cut. I really thought I did not have a burr on my edge--it would push cut through paper more smoothly and with less drag than just about any other edge (although it was suspiciously easy to bring back the edge).

So what do you guys think? Is this consistent with CPM-M4, or should the edge have had basically no change after +/- 45 cuts? It certainly held up better than 8cr13 or Gin 1, but not to the level I expected. Honestly, after using it on the sharpmaker, etc, it does feel softer than I would have expected, but I am certainly no expert.

I guess I will wait to hear the results of BTB's tests. Thank you for sending it in and posting the results here, as I really would like more information before I send it in. Mine is also a KJ from cutleryshoppe.

If anyone with experience could let me know what they think about my test results, it would be much appreciated. I don't want to have to send this in, but I might have to...
If you want my honest thoughts...I would not be alarmed just yet.

Cardboard or fiber board is sort of like hotdogs...no one really can be sure what is in there.

I can tell you that my M4 knives seem to respond well to stropping also. This is no indicator of much other than a well established edge in my opinion (a well sharpened knife can be maintained a long time with stropping).

I would suggest that if you get some food grade cardboard and re-run your tests you will have very different results. Any time you are collecting data points regarding a knife or steel, you need to be really sure what you are cutting. Cardboard is so variable it is not even funny...some of it is like cutting sandpaper, and some of it is like cutting cotton fabric. Simply put, cardboard is generally made on the cheap from recycled stuff...and often includes all sorts of abrasive contaminants (that no one cares about since the material still functions well for packaging).

You could have a defective knife with bad heat treat or other problem...but nothing you posted makes me sure of it (or even suspicious of it for that matter).

My GB came with a fairly uneven edge that I was excited to fix as soon as I dulled the knife...I have beat the **** out of this thing for close to a month now and never done more than run it across the strop for a few minutes and it will shave arm hair quite well. One of these days it will get bad enough to pull out the hones, but not yet....I am confident that a bit of (non-food grade) cardboard would do it though.

Hope that helps...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The Mentaculous

unit wrote:If you want my honest thoughts...I would not be alarmed just yet.

Cardboard or fiber board is sort of like hotdogs...no one really can be sure what is in there.

I can tell you that my M4 knives seem to respond well to stropping also. This is no indicator of much other than a well established edge in my opinion (a well sharpened knife can be maintained a long time with stropping).

I would suggest that if you get some food grade cardboard and re-run your tests you will have very different results. Any time you are collecting data points regarding a knife or steel, you need to be really sure what you are cutting. Cardboard is so variable it is not even funny...some of it is like cutting sandpaper, and some of it is like cutting cotton fabric. Simply put, cardboard is generally made on the cheap from recycled stuff...and often includes all sorts of abrasive contaminants (that no one cares about since the material still functions well for packaging).

You could have a defective knife with bad heat treat or other problem...but nothing you posted makes me sure of it (or even suspicious of it for that matter).

My GB came with a fairly uneven edge that I was excited to fix as soon as I dulled the knife...I have beat the **** out of this thing for close to a month now and never done more than run it across the strop for a few minutes and it will shave arm hair quite well. One of these days it will get bad enough to pull out the hones, but not yet....I am confident that a bit of (non-food grade) cardboard would do it though.

Hope that helps...
Thanks for the response! So, you wouldn't be surprised if it completely lost it's razor edge (and can't even really do a push cut with the segment used) in 10 or less cuts? I'll keep messing with it and probably wait to see the results from the other people, but I'm definitely surprised with this result. Maybe testing something in another steel on the same cardboard for a reference point could help clarify.
The Mentaculous

So I just did a test on the same cardboard with my T-Mag (S30V, high hollow grind like the Bradley), and I have to say that it performed similarly. It's hard to tell a significant difference between the two, although I think maybe the s30v rolled on more of the edge, it seemed like the spots on the M4 where it rolled were more far-gone than the S30v, which would still cut.
unit

Post by unit »

The Mentaculous wrote:So I just did a test on the same cardboard with my T-Mag (S30V, high hollow grind like the Bradley), and I have to say that it performed similarly. It's hard to tell a significant difference between the two, although I think maybe the s30v rolled on more of the edge, it seemed like the spots on the M4 where it rolled were more far-gone than the S30v, which would still cut.
Well, OK then...that is a little odd. What I am seeing is a fairly stark contrast between S30V and M4. Cardboard is hardcore on edges, but on the "test" media I use (wood carving, rope, and reinforced rubber) M4 will still shave hair long after S30V has quit...and I do mean LONG after.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The Mentaculous

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I thought that was probably the case. The M4 seemed to perform a bit better than the S30v, but definitely not markedly so. And it barely held it's razor edge more than a cut or 2. I'll definitely be emailing the vendor and weighing my options. I've cut cardboard with ZDP before, and this certainly isn't in the realm of ZDP from what I've seen so far. My guess is that they will find that they're softer than intended, or some other heat treating defect.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

That would be ironic, since the first batch was unintentionally much harder than intended. Life is messy. :)
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

Hey guys I'm sorry I didn't keep up with this thread. I forgot to keep tabs on it. I never sent my two in, but after reading all the responses here I definitely will ASAP. My two GB's perform nowhere near what others say. I actually made a video about it, let me know what y'all think. Sorry I can't embed, I'm on my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebrJPYKxwY
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:Hey guys I'm sorry I didn't keep up with this thread. I forgot to keep tabs on it. I never sent my two in, but after reading all the responses here I definitely will ASAP. My two GB's perform nowhere near what others say. I actually made a video about it, let me know what y'all think. Sorry I can't embed, I'm on my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebrJPYKxwY
Send it in already. It's been two months since you've been posting about this over on the other place.
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Send it in already. It's been two months since you've been posting about this over on the other place.
I'm going to send them in over Easter weekend. I don't have so much free time to deal with things like this. I'm a pre-med student with pretty much zero free time. Sorry if my procrastination has affected your delicate sensibility, singularity. :confused:

Did you watch the video anyway? I'll report back when I hear back from :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hope it turns out well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:I'm going to send them in over Easter weekend. I don't have so much free time to deal with things like this. I'm a pre-med student with pretty much zero free time. Sorry if my procrastination has affected your delicate sensibility, singularity. :confused:

Did you watch the video anyway? I'll report back when I hear back from :spyder:
I just want to see a resolution to this issue. My "delicate sensibilities" can't stand the continual talk with no action.

And yes, I did watch your vids. For a guy with zero free time you sure take a lot of time with making vids cutting cardboard and rebeveling on the edge pro. ;)