Watch what you say online!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Watch what you say online!

Post by Donut »

A 21 year old, who threatened the creators of South Park online got sentenced with 25 years in prison today! Apparently he posted some information like their address and said some hateful stuff about them.

The attorneys said that it created fear that anyone could be attacked like this.

There's a big article on it on CNN dot com if you want to read about it. I had to search for south park to find it.

Be careful out there!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People need to realize that the internet is real life, even though you may never see people face to face, the same laws apply as if you were in person and you can't run around threatening people. I'm sure he'll get off for good behavior in a couple years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Got what he deserved IMHO.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The Deacon wrote:Got what he deserved IMHO.
I concur.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

That's a ridiculously long sentence--as a taxpayer, I'd rather spent hundreds of thousands of dollars locking someone up who is a demonstrable danger rather than just stupid. Do you think the guy would have received such a sentence if he'd threatened you or me? So, south park creators get 100s of millions of dollars by putting themselves in the public eye and then freak out about it because they don't like the negatives that go along with it? Boo hoo, and shame on whatever prosecutor spent the public's money like that--how many wife beaters are out there on the street because some lime light seeking blank blank wants to prosecute an attention grabbing case?
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

- or route your IP.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I believe they need to come up with some ground rules. It seems like there is a lot of internet bullying going on with teens and there is nothing a school or anyone can do about it. The internet is like a crazy free for all where stealing and threats and belittling is completely allowed.

I would love to see change. Who will help make things right?

2cha, I agree, we could be doing a lot more good with the jail space this guy will be occupying. It seems like a very big sentence. I'm sure everyone has gotten angry on the internet and while they probably haven't done anything as bad as this guy, according to this ruling I'm pretty sure we've all done something to deserve jail time or fines.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Armalite Native wrote:- hide your IP.
fixed!

should a wore a condom. ;) :rolleyes: :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The internet is a playground for dangerous issues.

I think you have to be aware of the picture you paint yourself as (type your name in Google) because social networking photos, statements, etc can be used against you.

Threatening people is never ok. Posting addresses, phone numbers, and what-not for someone you hate is the nth level of bad news. It's like the kids who break-up and one posts horrible pictures/information about the ex. That isn't the same thing as throwing a water balloon at someone.

Part of the Amanda Knox case was her blog (if I recall) that discredited her character. Sarcastic or not she had a very dark sense of humor about longing to do ill against other people.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Not saying the person shouldn't get punished, but 25 years is crazy and ridiculous. Killers and rapists get off with much less.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Here's the article:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/24/vir ... index.html

He was taking actions that have succeeded in getting other targeted people murdered or driven into hiding, so it is a serious matter. The fact that many criminals are both stupid and crazy doesn't lessen the damage they cause others. Neither stupidity or insanity are likely to be cured although youth is a mitigating factor for stupidity.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow thanks for the link. That's a far cry from talking crap!

The sad thing is every loony out there makes the peaceful Islamists (99.something%) look real bad. Similar to every racist/chauvinist white guy makes me burry my head due to genetic similarity.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

PS: who watches Southpark these days? It's more out of date than Charlie Sheen's career.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agree...i'd much rather see a sex offender locked up for 25 years. It's a bit crazy that they often get slapped on the wrist and have to file as a predator, while this guy gets 25 years...but, that's why i think he'll get off in a couple years. He's being made an example out of.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

2cha wrote:That's a ridiculously long sentence--as a taxpayer, I'd rather spent hundreds of thousands of dollars locking someone up who is a demonstrable danger rather than just stupid. Do you think the guy would have received such a sentence if he'd threatened you or me? So, south park creators get 100s of millions of dollars by putting themselves in the public eye and then freak out about it because they don't like the negatives that go along with it? Boo hoo, and shame on whatever prosecutor spent the public's money like that--how many wife beaters are out there on the street because some lime light seeking blank blank wants to prosecute an attention grabbing case?
Well certain people are more important than the average joe which puts them at greater risk for being a target. A MMA fighter named Volkman made a comment about wanting to fight Obama in the octagon as his next opponent because he disagreed with what Obama is doing health care wise. Volkman states it is affecting his ability to be a massage therapist. The next day secret service paid Mr. Volkman a visit to guage how much of a threat he was and probably to warn and maybe fine him for being a moron.

Now it does seem silly that SP creater harasser got 25 days a MMA fighter who "threatened" the president only got a stern warning, but the moron going after the SP creaters diffintely seemed more serious and therefore posed a greater risk.

***edit...whoa 25 years...haha I thought he got 25 days...
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think the problem is that he didn't just threaten to go round to his house and "stick one on him" ... he published the guys' personal information and home addresses and then incited others to go and do something unspecified to them. Considering that the hate-campaign was also drummed up by a radical Islamist also added extra worry to the whole thing. Twenty-five years sounds a long time but the judge is trying to send a message that you can't use the internet to terrorize people without consequences. My guess is that he appeals and the sentence is lowered considerably.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Blerv wrote:PS: who watches Southpark these days? It's more out of date than Charlie Sheen's career.
Still do, but the new ones aren't as funny/outrageous as the first few seasons anymore.