MT09P Mule Team featuring Cobalt Special

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT09P Mule Team featuring Cobalt Special

Post by TazKristi »

MT09P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Cobalt Special

MT09P will be available for sale on Tuesday, 1-Mar-2011 at 1000 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $ $84.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Cobalt Special:
Takefu is a premier Japanese steel company specializing in the production of steels used for household and industrial cutlery. They produce blades using clad steel. Clad steels are a composite of different metals some hard, some softer, fused or bonded to each other. Paring different steel types together elevates performance by combining the best characteristics of each material and where the steels overlay each other, a fine Hamon or line develops. Traditional Japanese swords featured clad steels, layering tough harder steel with softer bendable ones which resulted in a steel combination that made them difficult to break or bend. Spyderco’s MT09 Mule Team is Takefu’s Cobalt Special steel enveloped within slices of SUS420J2. The two steels laminated as one boost toughness, improve corrosion resistance and generate lasting sharpness in a blade that is relatively easy to sharpen.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

*The composition for Cobalt Special will be added to the steel chart here on our site very soon. We're working on it now.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Sounds like another exciting steel - Thank you!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

So what is Cobalt Special like? Nothing is said about it in the description.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

It sounds like i will be getting my first Mule.
Mulefun

Post by Mulefun »

Sounds like another damascus, sweeet!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

what is the hardness of the core?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

This cobalt blue is sure a mystery. I searched the forum and googled it and found out it is said to be a cutlery steel. It is used to make high end barbers scissors, Falkniven(sp?) used it in a knife and it has cobalt in it. The steel is not in the table of the 2011 catalog.

I think a little marketing would be in order before this goes on sale.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

[Edit: never mind, that was the MT-07]

sal wrote:Hi Ben,

We have a few in the works that will be close as to when they are finished. The first one finished will be the next run.

There is a special Takefu Damascus that has a VG-10 core and some interesting purpose to their layers.

We have a piece made with Hitachi Aogami super blue.

We have a few new special Carpenter steels.

We have a Takefu Cobalt special.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mulefun wrote:Sounds like another damascus, sweeet!
Clad between two layers of 420 isn't the same as Damascus. Two completely different things.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Dangit, just got my Super Blue scaled and now I have to buy another one :p .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

araneae wrote:Clad between two layers of 420 isn't the same as Damascus. Two completely different things.
I agree, doesn't sound like Damascus at all. Probably looks more like the ZDP Caly3.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
angusW

Post by angusW »

Will be on the lookout for suitable scales in the next couple of days.

Is this considered "Blue" steel? From what I understand Blue steel has better edge retention, is harder, more resistant to corrosion amongst other qualities compared to white papered steel but I can't find any info on this Takefu steel being labeled as Blue steel.

I think Mulefun isn't too far off the mark. This Mule won't have a Damascus looking blade but the clad steel used by Takefu gives a knife the same properties as a Damascus blade. i.e. the qualities of different steels used in one blade give it more advantages over using one type of steel in a blade. Only thing is, this Mule won't have the purdy pattern on it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I'd also like to know more about the properties of the Cobalt core steel.
cckw

Post by cckw »

It is not Damascus. More of a clamshell. here is a little info on the outer layer. So far don't know on the inner.

SUS420J2 C0=.26-0.40 Mn=1.00 Si=1.00 P=0.040 S=0.030 Cr=12.00-14.00

ETA: Falkniven hardened this steel to 62
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I only know Cobalt as an alloy in steels for cutters and drill bits, like Crucible's M42; it's supposed to increase "red hardness" (wear resistance/thermal stability.) Cobalt drill bits are the only ones I bother with for making holes in hardened steel.

There's also Stellite and the like, which are *extremely* high in wear resistance--the description doesn't sound like it's describing that extreme of an alloy (Stellite isn't really steel) but It'd be very cool to try!
—Daniel Jackson
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

ben_1323 wrote:i'd also like to know more about the properties of the cobalt core steel.
+1
...oh you know why!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I am in for one sandwich :D
Tom
dialex

Post by dialex »

Wow, a cobalt blade! Should I understand it's something related to the Talonite or Stellite?
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

Sounds like a possible composite :p that would be cool
Mulefun

Post by Mulefun »

It sounded like damascus at the time. I was thinking it would be like the Mt07 because its a sandwhich too.