Any Persian 2 fans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Any Persian 2 fans

Post by gull wing »

out there? Haven't read many comments about this one. Does anyone care to step forward?
I see it's pinned except for the pivot, as the Caly 3 is.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

Yep, good stuff. I've got the Small Persian 2 (75 mm.) It was very tight and hard to get open, but a little oil and a few hundred cycles cured that.

Really nice belly on the knife, and it's not a tall blade, either.

What else...I had to sand down the G10 in the contact patch just beneath the clip so that it would be easier to stow/deploy. This is what I did to try to loosen the clip a little bit. Didn't quite work as well as the 400-grit sandpaper!

Really nice knife, and I'm looking forward to more of Ed's designs.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

I am a fan :)

Love my Spyderco Persian 2... such a good looking blade.

Same as Beanie-Bean.. my Persian 2 was tight out of the box but loosened up nicely after a bit of oil & use. I keep this knife on my desk at work as it's a very elegant looking knife (imo) so whenever I am deep in thought I'll flick the Persian2 in & out. It's still a little tight to close but I am sure this will ease up with some more time.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
JLS

Post by JLS »

I enjoy mine, but it hasn't replaced the Military for EDC either. I'm currently using mine clipped to my "around the house" shorts and it does wonderful. I don't care for the single position clip, but it it comfortable and is a wonderful cutter.

It's great at what it does and has little to add or detract. I think that's why we hear so little about it.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I really liked the 75mm model just how it was. I wish they would do one with red polished Micarta or G10 (polished) like the larger sprint they just did. I didn't want a full flat grind, and I do not like the G10. It's too abrasive for such a nice knife.

I think they took a great "gents knife" and made it too "tactical" for me.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bh49

Post by bh49 »

David Lowry wrote:I really liked the 75mm model just how it was. I wish they would do one with red polished Micarta or G10 (polished) like the larger sprint they just did. I didn't want a full flat grind, and I do not like the G10. It's too abrasive for such a nice knife.

I think they took a great "gents knife" and made it too "tactical" for me.
+1
The same about C83.
IMHO original C83 is the best looking Spyderco ever + great ergos+ great slicer. This knife with me every day for the last five years. New Persian2 is just one more tactical tool, kind of "Chinook light".
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

I am a fan of it but I still haven't ordered mine yet. I am planning on making it my next knife purchase. I can't wait to finally get one!
ace

Post by ace »

Love the belly on the blade but not the handle--it just didn't work for me with the index finger placement. The handle forces the index finger forward or back but can't be placed "just right" below the thumb. Would love to see that blade placed on a straighter handled model.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

While I much prefer the Persian 1s over the 2s for the reasons David and Roman have stated, and I haven't tried out a Persian 2 yet, I don't think Ed Schempp has a bad knife design in him. So I will definitely be getting at least one of each to put through their paces. My only regret so far is that Spyderco didn't stick with the foliage green G-10 of the Barong/Khukuri.

But seeing as the Persian 2 isn't so pretty and collectible as the original, maybe more users will be willing to really work the knife hard, where I'm sure it'll excel.

All of this isn't to say that I don't want a red G-10 C105 to go with its larger Sprint brethren because I do. :D
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I'm still itching to get my hands on one, mainly because I don't want to beat up on my original C83. Eds sense of ergos have always worked well for me.

J.
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jezabel wrote:I'm still itching to get my hands on one, mainly because I don't want to beat up on my original C83. Eds sense of ergos have always worked well for me.

J.
If you do not want to beat up your original C83, you still can get one of sprint run. You still can find one at decent price on secondary market, may be couple buck more than I paid to dealer.
Good luck,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Put me firmly in the "not a fan" camp. It has the same issue with the lockbar needing to be depressed until it is flush with the liners to release the lock that keep me from carrying the original Persian more often, and the peel-ply G-10 handle turn what was arguably the most elegant looking "Ferarri" Spyderco ever produced into just another tactical tractor. So, when I want a FFG Persian in my pocket, I'll stick with one of my Krein regrinds.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fast.ed

regrinds

Post by fast.ed »

The Deacon wrote:Put me firmly in the "not a fan" camp. It has the same issue with the lockbar needing to be depressed until it is flush with the liners to release the lock that keep me from carrying the original Persian more often, and the peel-ply G-10 handle turn what was arguably the most elegant looking "Ferarri" Spyderco ever produced into just another tactical tractor. So, when I want a FFG Persian in my pocket, I'll stick with one of my Krein regrinds.

Its been quite sometime since I've had the pleasure to see some good regrind pictures. Could you indulge us Paul?

Thanks
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What tasks does a "persian" blade shape excel in? Inquiring minds and all that...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What tasks does a "persian" blade shape excel in? Inquiring minds and all that...
You and me both. I have all of the Persians in both sizes. Yet I feel like I am the only one on the forum who doesn't really care for the Persian. It just doesn't really do anything for me. So why did I buy them then? Simple. I wanted to have a complete collection of Ed Schempp Spydercos. I know everybody here loves the Persian, but I guess it just isn't for me. :o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What tasks does a "persian" blade shape excel in? Inquiring minds and all that...
Pretty much anything where a blade with considerable convex curve works well. And, while I can't speak for all blades with that shape, the C83's negative blade angle allows you to cut material on a flat surface using more than just the tip of the blade.
Paul
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:Pretty much anything where a blade with considerable convex curve works well. And, while I can't speak for all blades with that shape, the C83's negative blade angle allows you to cut material on a flat surface using more than just the tip of the blade.
Yes, I see what you mean, thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

fast.ed wrote:Its been quite sometime since I've had the pleasure to see some good regrind pictures. Could you indulge us Paul?

Thanks
Sure :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yes, I see what you mean, thanks.
Almost hate to admit it, but a Persian is my "go to" knife when a sticker needs to be scraped off my car's windshield.
Paul
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you for the responses. I wasn't sure how to use that blade shape. I do like the looks of it, I may get a small.
I'm guessing, does it have no washers, like the Caly3? Not a problem, but just wondering. I do like the screw pivot pin, that way, I can remove the blade and spring, "adjust" the spring to my liking if I need to. :)

Thanks Deacon for the pictures, beautiful.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

gull wing wrote:Thank you for the responses. I wasn't sure how to use that blade shape. I do like the looks of it, I may get a small.
I'm guessing, does it have no washers, like the Caly3? Not a problem, but just wondering. I do like the screw pivot pin, that way, I can remove the blade and spring, "adjust" the spring to my liking if I need to. :)

Thanks Deacon for the pictures, beautiful.
Thanks.

Can't speak for the small Persian 2, but the large Persian 2 definitely has pivot washers.

Haven't totally given up on my Persian 2 yet. Thinking that with the screw pivot, removing the blade would allow removing the lock spring. That, in turn, would allow the lockbar to be swung out of the way so the lock wells in the scales could be deepened. Just have to find someone to do it.
Paul