Newb Question: What are lockbacks more popular than liner/frame locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZoomFlight15

Newb Question: What are lockbacks more popular than liner/frame locks?

Post by ZoomFlight15 »

Hello All.

In reading thru the forums here, i noticed that many seem to prefer lockbacks over frame locks/liner locks.

Why is that?

I myself favor the liner or framelock because they are easier to close one-handed. I'm a lefty and dont have any problems closing them with my left, so i dont feel that they aren't ambidextrous, which would be a benefit to a lockback.

I know that you can close the lockbacks one-handed as well by disengaging the lock and flicking the blade down, but it's not as smooth a motion (to me at least).

Why are lockbacks so popular? School me please!

Thanks! : )
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Preferences vary :) Welcome to the forums.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Many lefties find the Walker Liner Lock and Reeve Integral Lock difficult to disengage. Others of both right- and left-handed persuasions don't like to have their fingers in the path of the blade while releasing the lock, something which can't be avoided when the lock is on the bottom of the knife. I'm in the habit of releasing a backlock with my thumb while using my index finger in the Spyderhole to close the blade, which is awkward with the Walker and Reeve locks.

Last but certainly not least, many people have had or heard of bad experiences with poorly-made linerlocks, and simply don't trust any liner locks as a result.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I don't like RILs because I don't like handles that move around, and was scared off of liner locks for a long time thanks to cheap junk knives with them. With a quality knife, I still prefer back locks over them because they feel more solid to me, even if they have the same load rating.

I don't close knives one-handed, either, with the exception of the occasional slip joint.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I don't know that they are (preferred). I am a lefty and generally find RILs and LLs easy to open and close one-handed with either hand. Lots to choose from in the Spyderco lineup. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me it's partly because I'm old enough to have grown up with slipjoints and appreciate a knife that wants to remain closed. That pretty much limits my selection to midlocks, lockbacks, and the few backspring style liner locks that still exist. I find midlocks are easier to close than backlocks, and the lockup of backspring liner locks not very awe inspiring. Besides, of the three, Spyderco only makes midlocks and the round hole opener is the best opening mechanism, bar none.

The other part is pure stubbornness on my part. I've put up with enough "wrong handed" stuff over the years not to do so when it's avoidable. Sure I could "make do" with some Walker, RIL, and compression lock models, but why should I. Too many excellent midlocks out there to bother.

As for why there are so many of them, companies make what sells for them and almost all of Spyderco's top sellers over the years have been midlocks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

As a lefty I find that most liner locks are perfectly easy to close and I have no problems with them, but there are some knives where the cutouts in the handle are so right hand designed that I just don't bother with the knife. But as long is that isn't the case I will buy liner locks no problem, and mid locks are easy to operate too. My only real avoidance is the RIL. Most of the time I find them too difficult to operate as a lefty because I end up trying to pull the lock with my thumb rather than pushing it...
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like back locks, they were somewhat common while I was growing up and I am comfortable with them. Like Paul said I like how the spring pulls the blade closed and the ambidextrous action.

From what I see, it seems that a lot of people seem to favor liner locks. Also, it almost seems like Spyderco prefers back locks, so that is probably why you see a lot of back lock fans on the Spyderco forums.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I love the nice click sound of a lock back *Click* oh yeah.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I grew up with back lock knives so mid locks are second nature to me. I do like a lot of other locks though. For the most part as long as a lock is easily operated with one hand then if i like the rest of the knife enough i will adjust to the lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I'll offer a different perspective. I like back locks the best because of their construction. I've owned every type of lock Spyderco makes (except the bolt action Sage) and I've taken them all apart to analyze their function. In my experience, the back lock offers the most solid and reliable construction and they always reassemble consistently with no issues.
unit

Post by unit »

I can only speak for myself...

I grew up using lock backs. I am not opposed to change, but everything else I have tried feels like a change (not better not worse, but different...and "different" is never as intuitive as what I am used too).

When you have a long list of lock types that all work equally (that is to say that all do their job when used/maintained properly), the choice often is a matter of personal preference. I think that a little too often people on forums attempt to make lock choice out to be something bigger than "preference"...but I think that is what it really is.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

unit wrote:When you have a long list of lock types that all work equally (that is to say that all do their job when used/maintained properly), the choice often is a matter of personal preference. I think that a little too often people on forums attempt to make lock choice out to be something bigger than "preference"...but I think that is what it really is.
I'd say you're right. It's not really a case of "bad locks", although you can probably find poorly made examples of any lock type. It's mostly just personal preference, many times based on the "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" principle, and sometimes re-enforced by a single negative experience when trying "something different". When those of us who are "AARP eligible" began carrying knives we had pretty much three choices (not counting those evil Italian switchblades); a slip joint, a slip joint augmented by a locking liner, usually of brass :eek: , or a Buck 110 style lock back.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tank

Post by Tank »

The Deacon wrote:The other part is pure stubbornness on my part. I've put up with enough "wrong handed" stuff over the years not to do so when it's avoidable. Sure I could "make do" with some Walker, RIL, and compression lock models, but why should I. Too many excellent midlocks out there to bother.
This is exactly how I feel being a lefty.
-John
unit

Post by unit »

The Deacon wrote:I'd say you're right. It's not really a case of "bad locks", although you can probably find poorly made examples of any lock type. It's mostly just personal preference, many times based on the "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" principle, and sometimes re-enforced by a single negative experience when trying "something different". When those of us who are "AARP eligible" began carrying knives we had pretty much three choices (not counting those evil Italian switchblades); a slip joint, a slip joint augmented by a locking liner, usually of brass :eek: , or a Buck 110 style lock back.
Amen!

I still have some of those brass liner "locks". Back when all I had was slip joints (could only afford what I could earn in trade a rural community by doing odd jobs) we viewed the problem differently. The "lock" was never counted on as such...that little tab just slowed the blade down so that it would do less damage in a moment of idiocy.

I knew of the Buck 110, but no one would ever offer one of those in trade for work (they kept those and paid me with whatever they used prior to owning it)...I probably would have had to plow a couple hundred acres to "earn" one of those 110s.

I have a guess as to why lock backs are NOT very popular among some modern knife afi's...it has everything to do with a small sampling of poorly designed lock backs, and a ho-hum attitude akin to "been there, done that". There are a lot of gadget lovers out there...and a fancy new (to you) lock type is often intriguing...but perhaps no better than what ain't broke ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i like most all the lock styles with exception of the manix which i find is ok but would of prefered it to be a lockback or liner lock. just never really warmed up to it to the point were id ever buy another one. not had the compression lock and though i dont have experience with it im just not digging it enough to invest in a para. now we come to the sage 3 bolt action and i like it in theory but again, reports are that its a 2 finger opener like the manix2, now thats fine, i just am not digging on a lock that takes 2 fingers to use it and or a major shift in grip to operate. just my feelings for what its worth.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

This thread is really interesting. Either there are a LOT of southpaws on this forum or a lot of them are sensitive to locks and issues thereof.
I'm comfortable with back locks and I'm beginning to get OK with liner locks but don't care for frame locks at all.
Grumpy (also of the sinister persuasion)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

grumpyphil wrote:This thread is really interesting. Either there are a LOT of southpaws on this forum or a lot of them are sensitive to locks and issues thereof.
I'm comfortable with back locks and I'm beginning to get OK with liner locks but don't care for frame locks at all.
Grumpy (also of the sinister persuasion)
Lefties are generally sensitive to anything that isn't ambidextrous because we tend to live in a right handed world. My mother is a lefty...i've heard it all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

I am not a lefty, but I have a left hand, and it likes to use knives too.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Being left-handed, while I do find liner locks easy to close, there are a couple of problems. Firstly, liner locking knives are usually cut out on the opposite handle scale to allow access to the lockbar. This affects the ergonomics of the knife and is one of the reasons why I carry a Gayle Bradley which doesn't have this cutout over a Military which does.

Another reason is that I love the closing bias and action of a lockback. Rather than overcoming a detent and then swinging more or less freely, there is a smooth action where resistance gradually decreases.