Tuff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Tuff

Post by catamount »

Now that the latest Tuff prototype has been revealed to non-showgoers, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekSqQXNd ... ata_player

(starting at 4:07)
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm reeeeally not crazy about the design as far as looks are concerned...and i'll leave it at that until it gets further development. The blade shape/style is not my thing. I'm still looking forward to it though, i just hope it gets a bit more refined.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Why J?

Post by Why J? »

I want one to EDC for some reaosn. I love big blades and this one diffentely has my attention.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

+1 with EvilD. It's an intriguing design, and the fuller that runs the length of the blade is, , , interesting. Would love to know if the fuller is for aesthetics, or if there is a reason for it besides possible weight reduction. Will be interesting to see how it ends up when it hits the store shelves.

Also, , ,how cool is the blackened Moran that was also featured
Lungbarrow

Post by Lungbarrow »

catamount wrote:Now that the latest Tuff prototype has been revealed to non-showgoers, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekSqQXNd ... ata_player

(starting at 4:07)
I really like it. Sal mentioned elsewhere the texturing on the Ti scales was too aggressive and would be more mild on the next proto.

It looks like a hard working knife. I don't own any large Spyderco's, this may be my first unless the urge for a Para 2 gets the better of me.
Michael
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Not my cuppa...but I do like that textured Ti
On the hunt for...
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I like it and will definitely be getting one...(ok, maybe two).
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The one thing that turns me off on this knife is having those FLAT handles on a BIG knife. I think a knife that size needs some curvage for a comfortable grip.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

It reminds me of the Rock Salt. The blade and handle shape are similar. I wish it had a thick back lock like the Chinook or original Manix. I don't understand why people prefer an RIL for a hard use knife. The lock is only as strong as its weakest point, which is the cutout on the RIL. I was under the impression that Spyderco's back locks and ball locks were stronger.

That said, it does look promising. I'm a big fan of the Rock Salt and this looks like a folding version.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Be nice to see a steel insert on the end of the Ti RIL of the Tuff like on the newest Ti Military to add to the lifespan of the knife. This bit of extra "value added" for a described "hard use knife" wouldn't be amiss, I think.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I wish I could say there is something I like about it, but I'd be lying if I did. Pass.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I love it, but would love it even more if it were made in golden.. Does anyone know where it will be produced? Tiawan or golden is my guess
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Be nice to see a steel insert on the end of the Ti RIL of the Tuff like on the newest Ti Military to add to the lifespan of the knife. This bit of extra "value added" for a described "hard use knife" wouldn't be amiss, I think.
You are correct sir! Bet it's on the production model.
yablanowitz wrote:I wish I could say there is something I like about it, but I'd be lying if I did. Pass.
Here's the thing; I've come to believe that the odder a Schempp design looks to me the better I'll like it in use. I'll get this one on faith.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

i like it alot and i think because it's a Mr. Schempp design ergonomics would be at their highest level.....i like the fuller on the blade....too many dull looking blades everywhere....i'm sure it would be a very tough :spyder: knife...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'm sure it can take lots of abuse. But I can't tell what tasks the Tuff is intended to perform.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sequimite wrote:Here's the thing; I've come to believe that the odder a Schempp design looks to me the better I'll like it in use. I'll get this one on faith.
+1

I've made the mistake of skipping out on some of the Schempp models, only to discover that their odd looks are more than compensated for by their function and in-hand feel. I'll surely pick up the Tuff, even though it's likely to be a bit pricey.

dj moonbat wrote:I'm sure it can take lots of abuse. But I can't tell what tasks the Tuff is intended to perform.
Cutting stuff? :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sequimite wrote:Here's the thing; I've come to believe that the odder a Schempp design looks to me the better I'll like it in use. I'll get this one on faith.
The only Schempp design I've succeeded in adapting to my hands is the Rock Salt, since I could regrind the handle without screwing up the action. As for this one, well...

I live too far from water to have a boat, so I don't need an anchor. Metal handle? Strike one. Exposed lock? Strike two. Full length crap trap (excuse me, fuller)? Strike three. I could go on, but there is no point. It's already out for me.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

yablanowitz wrote:The only Schempp design I've succeeded in adapting to my hands is the Rock Salt, since I could regrind the handle without screwing up the action. As for this one, well...
That surprises me as I thought we had similar (XXL) sized hands and I love the Rock Salt handle.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

Looks cool as **** to me.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sequimite wrote:That surprises me as I thought we had similar (XXL) sized hands and I love the Rock Salt handle.
I had to grind off the hump at the butt to make room for my pinkie unless I choked up. All of the Schempp designs I've held have had the same problem for me. Persian, Barong, Khukuri, Rock Salt, none has enough room for my fingers unless I use the finger choil. While I like having the option, I don't like having to use the choil all the time.