Working Spydercos

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Pete1977

Working Spydercos

Post by Pete1977 »

endura SE with 2" hawser or "lock line" on the M/V Aggie C, Lemont IL

endura SE cutting "cow tail" or twine used to tie coils of wire (cable) for connecting barges

endura SE on deck hatch of barge South Chicago

endura on timberheads of barge, South Chicago

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

SE endura with a PE Atlantic Salt

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

cara cara rescue SE on M/V Aggie C, Illinois River

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Harpy SE M/V Aggie C- Illinois River

Byrd Rescue 2 SE- Gloucester, MA

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

harpy SE F/V Restless, Gloucester MA

the last known photo of the Cara Cara Rescue SE. I lost it overboard shortly after this photo was taken

its replacement in my kitchen while i was splicing some lobster trawl ropes, Byrd Rescue 2 and a sharpmaker with the diamond rods ready for resharpening

Finally- the Atlantic Salt yellow SE that Boxer 93 sent to my girlfriend, taken shortly after recieving it with about a half-mile of rope on my kitchen floor.
Morris

Post by Morris »

That Salt looks like a worker for sure.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

the plain edge one with the black handle did a lot of lobstering with me :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks for posting all those pics. I love nautical stuff....especially the rope used. I had no idea that so much electrical tape and duct tape was used. Is that what most guys do these days? Does anyone still bind the ends with whipping...or is the tape just used before a cut and then after it is whipped with a smaller rope?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

most work boats don't do any whipping any more David. I will usually whip the ends of dock lines i make for my father's boat because it looks more "ship shape."
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Nice Pics Pete. Glad to see that Atlantic getting a good workout. I do have 2 questions. How do you find the H1 serrations for staying sharp vs the cara serrations. Again on the H1 serrations how do they cut vs the Enduras serrations.
Thanks
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Chris-

I will post a thread in general so we don't break any rules about discussion here :)
scout

Post by scout »

Why are poly ropes used over nylon? Is it a safety issue?
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Might not work as hard as Pete's. My K05S had a good workout making the latest batch of Chili.
Chris
Attachments
chili with K05S.jpg
chili with K05S.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
Be Excellent to each other.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

scout wrote:Why are poly ropes used over nylon? Is it a safety issue?
The large diameter poly rope was "leaving line" for tying off barges. You left it with the barge. The purple stuff was "trash rope" literally made of recycled trash. When it parted off you could find strands of candy bar wrappers and whatnot. The yellow stuff is polypropylene. It floats, is light (we had to throw coils pretty far to catch the pins and bitts on the walls of the canals and locks) and cheap, again, because it was meant to be left behind with the barge.

The large diameter Nylon looking rope is actually polypropylene and dacron "lock line" which was used for tying off barge tows in locks. It had to be strong and is the most heavy duty rope I have ever used. It is called "hawser" sometimes. It is heavy, tends to sink, is extremely strong and stretchy...I used to have to check 7500 tons of barge to a stop with that stuff...it melts to the pins, smokes like crazy and when it parts it sounds like a shotgun blast...

The thin stuff is commercial fishing line. The darker stuff sinks and is supposedly less likely to entangle whales, and other marine mammals. The blue stuff floats. It is outlawed except for the last 1/3rd of the buoy lines to keep the end trap in a string from tangling itself up with the rest of the trawl.

boxer93 wrote:Might not work as hard as Pete's. My K05S had a good workout making the latest batch of Chili.
Chris
That looks good Chris :D I just had chili a few nights ago at my parents' house for dinner :D