The perfect blade size

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

The perfect blade size

Post by Sequimite »

For me the perfect all around blade length in 3 1/2 inches and despite having dozens and dozens of Spyderco knives I have exactly one that is 3 1/2", the Stretch 2.

Then the Gayle Bradley came out with a 3 1/2" blade, the Para 2, the Caly 3.5, the Superleaf, the Persian 2; heck, even the Manix 2 is close at 3 3/8" but I already have two of those.

I'm going to wait for the Super Blue Caly 3.5 so right now my big decision is between the GB and the Para 2: BIG or light.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

3.5 is my perfect EDC size now too. My tastes have changed over the last 10 years.
...oh you know why!
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

There isn't a perfect size as far as I am concerned. The blade size varies dependant upon what I want, need or would like the knife to do, and even for EDC purposes I carry varying lengths dependant on a whim, what I fancy on any given day or whether the sun shines.

Regards,

BRIAN
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

3.5 is a bit too large for me. 2 3/4 to 3" is the perfect EDC size for my situation. Of course this might change over time.
Delica Orange Jigged Bone, Manix2 Orange FFG, Poliwog G-10, Salt I PE Black, Chaparral
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I prefer a slightly longer and heavier blade most of the time, just my preference...but in order to be more socially acceptable, I usually keep them to about 3 inches...most of the time.

Though I would LOVE to see a HUGE spyderco...and of course by huge I mean like 5 inches, leaf shaped, like a Superleaf XXL.
On the hunt for...
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

I had been carrying a Cara Cara which is a hair under 4 inches. I bought a Delica 4 and feel that it is perfect. It is legal in Chicagoland and in Minneapolis which is great for me. I can open boxes at work with it without getting weird looks from people. All in all its a great knife and size.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

3.25 inches, +/- a bit for me. I've been getting a lot of use out of the Chokwe lately, though, which is longer.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

perfect for me is between 5-7 inches.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

I started out with smaller blades, but now I've found that about 3.5 inches is perfect for me as well.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

C'mon, just get a regular Caly 3.5...the Super Blue sprint isn't even confirmed! I hear a lot of people say they're waiting for the CF or super blue version, but you're really missing out on a terrific EDC, one of my personal favorites.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

3.5 is about optimal for me too. I like the size of the Endura at 3.75, but when a blade is over 3.5 I start to consider implications of its weight. FRN keeps the weight down so the Endura works at this length. However, like many have already advised, my favorites for EDC are (in no particular order) Stretch, Para2, and SuperLeaf. And they all seem to have blades very similar in length.
bh49

3.5"

Post by bh49 »

3.5" is the best size for me and fortunately it is legal in my state. I used to carry Caly3. I love that knife, but blade is a little short for some tasks. Caly3.5 solved the problem for me. I used to have military, but never carried. Sold it a while ago. Recently I decided to revisit it and bought new. I am impressed with quality, f&f, ergos. But military is too big for my taste.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

3.5" works well for me. Even though there's no blade length restriction where I live, bigger is only better up to a point and, for me, that point is where the knife will no longer ride comfortably and retrieve easily from the bottom of my back pocket. None of Spyderco's knives with longer blades meet that requirement, at least not any that meet my other "must have" requirements of a mid lock and 50/50 choil. Even the 3.5" C83 Persian is a fairly close fit. The two that work best for me are the Stretch and the Caly 3.5. Stretch rides easy and deploys nicely. Caly 3.5 is a bit smaller and feels much smaller in the pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I like a 3" blade sage 2 is my favorite, but occasionally carry smaller(dragonfly)or larger (endura).
35:spyder:
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I like a 3" blade sage 2 is my favorite, but occasionally carry smaller(dragonfly)or larger (endura).
35:spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have 2 favorite lengths for 2 different questions.

1. Favorite blade length? 3"

2. Favorite blade length if I could only have one knife? 3 1/2" to 4".

If I could only have one I'd go for a little extra length for when I needed it. A 4" blade can do what a 3" blade can do. A 3" blade may have a hard time with tasks that the 4" blade would be better for.

Jack
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I find 3-1/2 inches to be an excellent "happy medium" blade length for a EDC/general use knife. Long enough to do some serious work and short enough for easy concealment with a decent handle and sheath.
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

So far, I like the 74 mm on the UKPK, and the 73 mm on the Delica knives. I'd have to say that the 86 mm on the Manix is also great to work with, as is the 57 mm on the Dragonfly. So, in no particular order for EDC blade length:

1. UKPK/Delica
2. Manix 2
3. Dragonfly 2

* I haven't received the Sage III yet, but I did see that it comes in at around 71 mm.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

If it's leaf shaped, 3" will do fine(ie Sage, Cal Jr, Chinese). A slimer blade 3.5"
(Stretch, Para)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Howlix

Post by Howlix »

For me the bigger the blade the better. I don't care about weight very much. ~4" is what I carry most of the time. I rarely have to cut anything so I carry a blade for self defense purposes along with my duty firearm. The only blade smaller than 4" that I carry regularly is a Manix 2 (for reasons I can't exactly peg down I love this blade). Usually though it's the police, resilience, or civilian, all of which make excellent seatbelt cutters and tactical baldes.