Wish me luck!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Nonprophet

Wish me luck!

Post by Nonprophet »

Tomorrow me and Mr. Keating's Chinook 3 will be once more into the breach! My brother in law and I are taking a road trip to El Paso Texas and from there into Juarez Mexico. I know that place is like a war zone but the schedule is set and we're going regardless! We went a year ago and it went realtively well so what's the worst that can happen? :eek: Anyway, I'm taking the Chinook as an inside the waist carry (though it may move to the easier access of the front pocket when we actually go into Mexico) and I have the Aqua Salt in my emergency bag as a fixed blade backup. Also along for the ride will be a folding pocket knife (I don't own a small Spyderco for that yet) and a mid sized folder for general use. Just so no one accuses me of taking a knife to a gunfight, and because I am properly permitted to carry a concealed weapon, I will also be taking the Glock .40 and 5 clips of 14 rounds each and a Taurus 6 shot .357 revolver. I don't forsee any problems and I know I won't be able to carry the firearms acrosss the border but they're coming as far AS the border. Hopefully I won't have a single story to tell when I get back but I wouldn't count on it! So you guys take care and I'll see what I see and hopefully be back in five day! :D
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
Donut

Post by Donut »

Best of luck, stay safe. Enjoy yourself a little, too. :)

Hopefully you can take a detour to do something you really want to do.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

The entire trip is a fun "something I want to do" the biggest thing on my itinerary is real Mexican food and a true Roadhouse on the way through Texas for a true Texas steak! I'm all about finding the fun on the way. Should be a good time!
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Nonprophet wrote:The entire trip is a fun "something I want to do" the biggest thing on my itinerary is real Mexican food and a true Roadhouse on the way through Texas for a true Texas steak! I'm all about finding the fun on the way. Should be a good time!
Have fun, be well..stay safe and Enjoy!!!...Doc :D
PM Sent:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Don't know if this is appropriate but when in doubt blade out! Stay safe. :)
thewannabesurvivalist
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

Surely is appropriate Hellhound! My eyes are open to what I'm going into and while I'm not paranoid, I'm also not one who fools himself about what's going down. Having said that I tend to be less of a "brandish and hope it deters" and more of a "They don't know it's a fight and not an assault until they're already down" sort of guy and that normally works in my favor. My awareness is such that I SHOULD be able to see trouble before it happens and avoid it and if, God Forbid, it comes to that I suppose I'll have to trust in my training to carry me through.
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

And I just got back today....no incidents and no personal stories to tell but I learned a lot about just how bad it is there. Not something I'd do on a egular basis. Juarez is FIERCE right now!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

welcome back, why the **** are you going down there to begin with?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

Quick road trip, visit family, see my Goddaughter and pick up some liquor that can't be bought in the states. You know, just fun stuff.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Glad to hear you made it back safely. As you can tell the cold weather waited here for your return, gotta love Iowa this time of year.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Glad everything went off without a hitch....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

Dragon, it was really amazing. While chilly the weather was great right up until we hit Kansas City and then within 5 miles it turned to snow covered and freezing cold! Doc, after some good advice from some really smart people I was prepared for the worst and actually got a mucg better outcome!
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Hey your alive... Glad everything went good, so liquor huh? :D
thewannabesurvivalist
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

yeah there is a couple of specialty Tequilas that you cannot purchase in the US and they are very specific to certain areas and so the only way to get them is to actually go there and buy them from a local shop. I really wish I could get them here but it did also afford me the chance to visit with some family as well :rolleyes:
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

Nonprophet
Sounds like a good trip. Glad you stayed safe. Mind sharing a little bit of just what Juarez is like these days?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Bah, wish I'd read this post when it started! Woulda bought you a beer. I hope my neck of the woods treated you well.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
HeiHeit

Post by HeiHeit »

Nonprophet wrote:Tomorrow me and Mr. Keating's Chinook 3 will be once more into the breach! My brother in law and I are taking a road trip to El Paso Texas and from there into Juarez Mexico. I know that place is like a war zone but the schedule is set and we're going regardless! We went a year ago and it went realtively well so what's the worst that can happen? :eek: Anyway, I'm taking the Chinook as an inside the waist carry (though it may move to the easier access of the front pocket when we actually go into Mexico) and I have the Aqua Salt in my emergency bag as a fixed blade backup. Also along for the ride will be a folding pocket knife (I don't own a small Spyderco for that yet) and a mid sized folder for general use. Just so no one accuses me of taking a knife to a gunfight, and because I am properly permitted to carry a concealed weapon, I will also be taking the Glock .40 and 5 clips of 14 rounds each and a Taurus 6 shot .357 revolver. I don't forsee any problems and I know I won't be able to carry the firearms acrosss the border but they're coming as far AS the border. Hopefully I won't have a single story to tell when I get back but I wouldn't count on it! So you guys take care and I'll see what I see and hopefully be back in five day! :D
Good luck, sounds like fun. :)

I hope you're bring magazines, clips wouldn't work so well. :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

Glad to hear all is well. Sounds like a great trip. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Just so you know, you can get "real mexican food" here in Harlingen and not have to risk getting chopped in half with an AK47. Besides, as close to the border as Juarez is, you stand a pretty good chance of running into the typical tex-mex as the road of culinary travel does indeed have a lane heading South as well. :cool:

They fairly recently had a group of five brothers that crossed the border for business for a single day...they haven't been seen or heard about since. Watch your six down there, homie. Americans = $$$ to a whole lot of bad folks up that way.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Just goes to show how some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world make a place safer, hey? :-P
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright