Please help a new spyderco forum member avoid getting scammed!

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
stealle

Please help a new spyderco forum member avoid getting scammed!

Post by stealle »

I am new to the forum. I really want to buy a paramilitary2. Unfortunately, all of the reputable online retailers are sold out. I went to ebay looking for one and there are several available in the $130 price range. After reading though some of the threads I am concerned about buying a fake. It seems it is possible to get a fake from ebay even though the seller may have 99-100% feedback. I have been burned on ebay before (not for knives) and don't want to get burned again. However, I really want this knife! So my questions are...

1. Does anyone know for certain that Spyderco is making more para2s and if so when will these be available from the reputable online retailers.

2. Can anyone tell me if you have purchased from "cls0551" or "vicant9" on ebay? I don't think I can post urls.

I would prefer to wait for a reputable online dealer to get them in stock, but I don't want to miss out. Thanks for the help.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I know it's been a while since you posted this but I'll respond anyway:

PM2 is a regular production item so even if the production is a bit slow in the start, it will match the demand and they will be more available in the near future and prices will also stabilise.

Don't know about those sellers but as far as fakes go, I've yet to see a fake PM2. There are a lot of knockoffs that don't even look like any existing models. But there are only a few models that are popular among fake artists. They tend to focus on just a few models, the only convincing looking fake I've seen is a black UKPK but an experts eye can still tell the difference. I think you'll have a harder time finding a fake PM2 than a real one. :p
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

This post is probably not in the best location but if it helps one person it is worth mentioning and since this thread is a bit old I will just mention it here. I noticed a few days ago that someone was selling a Manix 2 on ebay, the picture was of the FFG green Manix 2 but the knife he was selling was actually the basic black HG. I sent the seller a note to fix his ad but that didn't happen. So always check and double check when buying on ebay, I have had good luck myself but I tend to stick with sellers I am familiar with. Good luck!
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I agree. Be careful with the eBay sales. It is certainly a great market to buy and sell. I myself frequent it and have been quite happy with purchases and sales, but you do need to read every line of those adds and observe the pictures carefully. I like to look for pictures of the actual knives, not stock photos or photos copied from other sales athat appear frequently. Also look at the seller's rating. If there is any negative feedback, then read the negative posts and see if any claim to be fakes or say anything that is unacceptable to you.

I assume you have your PM2 now. If not, call up/e-mail one of the reputable dealers like SpydieTalk.com, KC or any of the ones you see frequently here and just get on the waiting list. Shouldn't take long to get one. Good luck & happy hunting!