Now that I have the Paramilitary 2 in my hand, what was all that hype about?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

didnt look difficult to close to me. after that vid i might have to consider one.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

wait are u talking about a reg para 2 ... are they sought after too ? cause my sexy para2 s90v has peel ply cf i believe.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I noticed you use your thumb to close. That's the way i originally tried closing it and it wore out my thumb pretty fast. Once i started using my index finger i finally "got it".
That's what I am used to using. :D
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

feed_the_animals wrote:No one plays devil's advocate like SnowCrash ;)
What can I say? It's the quickest way to get info, even though most people tend to get butthurt and think I'm trolling
Morris

Post by Morris »

I thought i didn't like the "bigger" folders, but the more i look at those Camo Paras, the more
i think i want one! Only then, you have to get the one with the black blade too!! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SnowCrash wrote:What can I say? It's the quickest way to get info, even though most people tend to get butthurt and think I'm trolling
What info are you getting by stirring the pot that you didn't get from handling the knife first hand? How about posting a constructive criticism review of the knife instead? Maybe then you can balance out all the positive reviews with one that shows whatever downside this knife has, so that the next person who wants reviews can get a more broad opinion since you seem to imply that the general consensus of the greatness of this knife isn't accurate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Evil D wrote:What info are you getting by stirring the pot that you didn't get from handling the knife first hand? How about posting a constructive criticism review of the knife instead? Maybe then you can balance out all the positive reviews with one that shows whatever downside this knife has, so that the next person who wants reviews can get a more broad opinion since you seem to imply that the general consensus of the greatness of this knife isn't accurate.
I'm merely saying that the knife does not live up to its hype/pricetag. In all honesty I think the Endura ffg beats it in every way possible with half the cost, but that's my opinion.

I will most likely do a review of it on my channel if I get around to it, but I get the feeling most of you won't like it seeing as I'm the only one not obsessed with this model
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

How is the Para 2 different than any of the other Spyderco folders you've purchased recently? They all seem to be the around same price range with similar materials. You had to expect what was coming. Having preference for a certain knife or features is normal and the whole reason why there's different models to choose from. You're not going to like every knife. I'm not a fan of back locks, but I don't blame the knife when I buy a back lock and don't fall in love.

I mean this in a kind way and my butt is feeling just fine; you'd be better served and get more information from using these new knives than simply asking, "What do you think I should buy?" and not share the same sentiments as the internets.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like i said...take your surroundings into consideration. You're on a Spyderco forum...you have to accept that there's gonna be some biased opinions. Post this over on bladeforum and see what the opinion is there. In the end it's all just a matter of personal preference. Many people are in love with the Stretch and Sal himself says it's his favorite, but it's not really my thing and i'd take the Para or Para 2 or several other knives over it any day.
~David
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

SnowCrash wrote:I mean sure it's a good small sized folder, but the lock doesn't make for easy one handed closing, as well as being tough to press in to disengage, and the blade locks itself into place two clicks (weird). Aside from that, it looks nice and the g10 is grippy...yet another knife I can't understand the price tag justifying itself. Is it all because it's made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth?
Personally I find it anything but a small folder but everyone has their own perception. I am left handed so I have even a more challenging time with the lock but with a knife made like this, to me it's worth the effort.

I paid the exact same price for a Benchmade 940 and looking at them together I wondered the same thing about the price of the Benchmade. Again, personal preference.

If we are talking about the standard production model of the P2 and not the CF P2, how much did you pay for it? I paid around 125.00 and it to date has been the best money I have ever spent on a knife. I love it and can find little wrong with it. To each their own. I'm sure you could put it on BF for sale and have it gone within an hour.

Ankerson wrote:Got my popcorn and drinks ready for this thread. :D
Haha, I thought the same thing.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

I guess the whole reason I'm not so into the para is for the amount of solid blade and construction i got from the police 3 g10, and the ffg endura- I probably just took a risk with a smaller knife, knowing I'm into the bigger folders, and was disappointed in the end. I'll should just stick to <4inch blades like i did before :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SnowCrash wrote:I'm merely saying that the knife does not live up to its hype/pricetag. In all honesty I think the Endura ffg beats it in every way possible with half the cost, but that's my opinion.

I will most likely do a review of it on my channel if I get around to it, but I get the feeling most of you won't like it seeing as I'm the only one not obsessed with this model
I don't have the para 2 just the para 1 and the ZDP endura. Not to knock the endura(I love it) but I'd say the para 1 is much more solid knife than an FFG endura. This is not me butthurt but I'd say you need a lot more experience using knives if you can't tell the difference between the para and the endura with just having the knife in your hand. Preference on the other hand, is personal but quality will be there in front of your eyes to see. ;)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I love the blade on mine but then again, that's just me. Had a police for a little bit and did not like it. Good thing you got the P2 and not the P1, you would have really been unhappy with the blade size. I have had mine for 3 months or so and have cut everything in sight with it and still have not even touched it up. But in the end if you look at it and are not happy with it for whatever reason I can understand that too. Some knives just fit. It is a perfect fit for me. Good luck
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It sounds to me like you keep setting yourself up for failure in your expectations, without doing your homework, and without handling these knives you keep ordering before you buy them. That's a recipe for disappointment. You really should try to find a local knife shop and see about handling some knives before you order them.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Snow,

Sorry for your disappointment. Our prices usually reflect our manufacturing costs. What is it that you use to determine the worth of a knife and whether the price is worth the value?

sal
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Everyone has their own passions. I've winnowed my folders to what I feel comfortable and really enjoy. I agree that the topic of this thread is a bit volatile for this forum, but also know I've also put my own foot (keyboard) in my mouth a few times.

For the record, I wasn't thrilled by the Caly3 and haven't tried to get a Para. Personal taste, no more, no less, and right for me.

Snowcrash, everyone is free to move on and enjoy what they enjoy, that's why there are so many options :D Spyderco spoils us with the diversity of their products :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I really don't know what "butthurt" means but maybe next time you could pose a volatile thread in a way that doesn't have the villagers running for pitchforks and torches.

The alternative is of course being brutally frank with your words and dealing with the "sensitive" people who love the knife. Just know that many of these folks have a special place in their knife drawer for the Para/Para2. It usually sits next to Striders and Sebenzas =)

All jokes aside the Para/2 is one of the most loved Spyderco's. That means the majority of the knife snobs on the forums love it and anyone who doesn't is in the minority. That doesn't make either party wrong...it just makes one group MUCH bigger. ;)

For example:

"Hello Everyone,

I received my Para2 the other day and had some general questions and concerns.

First of all the lock seems a bit notchy and hard to release, is this normal for the compression lock? Second, while I know many people are a huge fan of this knife, the ergonomics are not as comfortable as I imagined. Am I alone on this or have other people experienced similar results?

Lastly I'm curious about how the knife is priced. What factors go into this product that make it more expensive than say a FRN Endura FFG?

Overall I'm not extremely satisfied but such is life. Maybe you could give me some perspective on the topic and why the Para2 stands out from the crowd.

Thanks in advance."
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

My para2 just shipped today. I can't wait to get it. Lately it seems like all of your posts are commenting on the price tag on Spydies. The other night you were saying the P'Kal trainer was too much, last night on the price tag on the S90V para and today this? If you aren't happy with the prices of the Colorado made knives then you should check out the Byrd line or some of the new China-made Spydies that are pretty cheap? (This is a serious suggestion by the way).
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

As far as the price goes. Do me a favor snowcrash. Find another knife that has an S30V blade as thick as the para. Then find one that's full flat ground. I don't know of any company for that price that can compare. The closest one for price and quality would be kershaw if you ask me. How much do you think you should have paid for the P2? I picked up an original para for 80 "used" or so the guy said but I swear it was bnib. I thought that was an amazng deal. I've seen the P2 for $91 that's. A steal. Production with spyderco usually gets better each year and more efficient so prices reflect that. I can't lie. Part of me still doesn't like the orginal para. But I can't keep it out of my pocket because ts an amazing knife.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

You really don't think it justifies a price tag of around $100? Most s30v knives are more expensive than that