Open vs concealed carry.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MyNameIsJoe

Open vs concealed carry.

Post by MyNameIsJoe »

So the Los Angeles knife laws put a 3' inch limit on open carry for folding knives, but there is no limit on concealed carry for folding knives. So would a folder, clipped in your pocket, be considered concealed or open carry?
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I would say concealed. Especially if you didn't tuck shirt in and it was partially hidden by shirt tail. I have often wondered the same thing but I would want the pocket clip to make it open carry. Here in North Carolina, the maximum closed length for concealed is 4 1/2 ". I don't think their is a law on open carry.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
marknett

Post by marknett »

what if you clipped the knife outside your pocket , that should be open carry ? :confused:
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm almost certain that if the police see the clip, they'll consider that opened carry. It probably can be used to their favor whether it's open or concealed depending on the circumstances especially if it's not a deep carry clip and part of the knife rides outside your pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I believe in NYC clipped pocket carry is not considered concealed, if the police can see it, they can question it. Although NYC knife laws/interpretation are pretty jacked up.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

I would say that it just depends on how low the knife rides in your pocket, and how that particular policeman handles the situation.

If you stay out of trouble, it shouldn't matter. Giving knife owners a good name is about not drawing attention, even if you are obeying the laws about carry length and how you can do it.

I would just assume to conceal carry it deeper in your pocket with a "U" clip to obey the laws, and don't use it to do anything stupid. Also, i'm not sure, but you probably have to get a concealed carry permit, and have to get the particular knife registered.
Andy
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Here's a trick I came up with for deep cover while still retaining the advantage of clipped carry and the Spydie-drop: Use an IWB mag pouch with a tip-down folder (I am aware that the pic shows tip-up).

ImageImage

With this particular pouch the only bit that prints is the clip, and positioned next to the belt loop it just looks like it is the belt loop, even through the thin material of this baselayer shirt.

The pouch pictured is a Minotaur Concealment Pouch from Comp-Tac (with whom I have no affiliation beyond being a customer). My 10mm Glock pouch is actually a bit spacious for the Lum, and a smaller pouch would probably do as well, as likely would IWB pouches from myriad makers.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The real answer to this question will be based on the actual case law--how the letter of the law was interpreted and applied with regard to specific incidents. Research on that at a law library or through an attorney would be your best bet.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

This has been asked a lot on the BF legal forum. If I recall correctly, the general consensus was that if an officer can readily identify an item based on what's visible, then it's not concealed. So if it's reasonable to think it's a knife (which it probably is - or at least could easily be argued that way in court), you can't use the clip.

Having said that, you probably won't be bothered. But if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time with a cop who's had a bad day, you might be in trouble...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

A good friend of mine who is a law enforcement officer has to make calls on this all the time - "what is concealed carry" related to all sorts of weapons.

His basic guideline from a Cop on the Job: If he can see it during routine interaction, then it is not concealed. He says an imprint on clothing doesn't cause him concern (as long as the weapon is otherwise legal to carry - handguns are always a concern). But if he can see an exposed clip or butt of a knife, it isn't concealed.

He adds that he rarely busts anyone for knives or other dangerous weapons as a primary offense (again, handguns are a special case because of their inherent danger). But if you are stopped for any other reason, he's going to look you up and down to ensure that you aren't a threat to yourself or others. If he arrests you for any other reason, and you have a blade that's outside legal guidelines - expect him to add that to the charges.

Stay safe!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

araneae wrote:I believe in NYC clipped pocket carry is not considered concealed, if the police can see it, they can question it. Although NYC knife laws/interpretation are pretty jacked up.

I certainly have been stopped before for having my unconcealed para, I was lucky the detective knew quality when he saw it and let me go. Now I no longer carry my para, I just carry a UK frn rescue