Newb

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SeaSoldier

Newb

Post by SeaSoldier »

I have recently started collecting Spyderco folders. I have carried dual Delicas for years after taking DFK from Insights Training Center. Have been dumping thousands of dollars into 1911's. Looking to diversify my collecting habits. I started with a Lum Chineese folder from the sprint run and a Gayle Bradley. Looking forward to collecting knives and knowledge from the forum.

S/F
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Welcome :) .

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Welcome , lol well knock out a few less 1911 purchases u can sign the dotted line for a lot of great tools that come with spyders!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thousands of dollars into 1911's? So... like one Les Baer :-P. I'm joshin, hogleg fan myself. Welcome, enjoy.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

love the 1911`s. i find knives a nice change of pace and dont have to feed them expensive ammo. lol
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your stay, and ask away!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Welcome...enjoy!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forums. :)

The Bradley is a nice chunk of metal. :spyder:
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SeaSoldier

Post by SeaSoldier »

Thanks for the welcome. I was wondering for collecting purpose's if the Sprint Run knives are more desireable? I'm looking at a Manix as my next piece and a Premium seems to be in order for the green handled version at around $149. Also a Stag Arms version at $199. Should I bother or just go for standard production versions. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Welcome to the forum, glad to have ya.

As with much in life it depends. IMO, you are not going to get rich collecting Spydies, some do go up, usually they hold their own. First and foremost they are meant for use. Best thing to do is decide what you like and can afford and go from there. I wouldn't but solely buy on sprint run status, I have and do buy on traits I desire that may be incorporated in a Sprint run.

(I'll trade ya a uber collectable early Delica for one of those pea shooters if you are interested. Just to get you started, ya know.)

As always YMMV
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Assuming you're in the USA, Stag Arms is selling their version of the Manix 2 for $135
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

SeaSoldier wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I was wondering for collecting purpose's if the Sprint Run knives are more desireable? I'm looking at a Manix as my next piece and a Premium seems to be in order for the green handled version at around $149. Also a Stag Arms version at $199. Should I bother or just go for standard production versions. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
It totally depends a lot on the model. Generally yes, since there are only a limited amount of a certain variant and a lot more of the regular production one available. ;)
But sometimes the original is more sought after, for example a model that was originally produced in the 90's might be more sought after than a sprint run version that was made in 2010 for example.
With the Manix2, since the sprint runs and the regular production versions have been made at the same time, the sprint runs are more sought after by collectors and users alike (the sprint runs often have a FFG blade and skeletonized liners).
Then there are some models that never really catch the collectors interest. :rolleyes:
Collecting is fun and you should get the models you like to have. :D
If you're looking to make a profit out of your collection, it's as safe as buying stocks at random.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Welcome.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Welcome to the forum. On the collecting thing...if youre anything like me, you wont be able to keep the darn thing out of your pocket - so, I just decided to use all of mine and not worry about making money...just me. :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SeaSoldier

Post by SeaSoldier »

Thanks for all the help folks. And the tip of purchasing a Manix directly from Stag Arms, that would have hurt. I relly like my Gayle Bradley for EDC and like to think of my Lum as a Gentlemans Folder. I certainly don't ecpect to sell my collection as a retirement fund. But on the same hand do not have the money to spend foolishly. I think the best bet would be for me to slow down and sit back and watch the prices of the knives that are desireable to me then pounce when I see a good deal. Thanks again to those of you that have taken the time to help with my education

Anyone know where I can score a Barong and what a good price would be?

S/F