Should I bother getting a paramilitary 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SnowCrash

Should I bother getting a paramilitary 2?

Post by SnowCrash »

I already have a benchmade 940 which is basically the same knife in a slimmer package- I would get a regular military but then I already have a Police 3 g10 and a FFG Brown Endura on the way....The civilian coming in the mail justifies me not needing a matriarch, so am I done with my :spyder: collection?

This makes me sad =(

At the end of the day, I for some reason still have the desire for the paramilitary 2
araneae

Post by araneae »

Yes they are almost exactly the same, don't bother with the Para 2....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Similar blade shape, except the 940 is a reverse tanto so the tip is stronger, same blade length, same blade steel

Only thing I can think of is the G10 and flow through design aside from the compression lock.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Besides the Para 2 having a FFG blade, better ergonomics, a spyder hole, etc etc. They may be similar lengths and same steel, but that's where the similarities stop. I wouldn't even say they're in the same league or even have the same EDC purposes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

Those are not very like knives. Blade shape/grind is different, lock is different, handle shape is different.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I wouldn't say that the P2 has better ergonomics than the 940, especially if ambi use is a consideration. I think the 940 is in the same league as far as quality goes but I think they are different knives in just about every respect. Different - both worth owning. So my answer to the OP is that if you have a chance to buy a P2 at a reasonable price, you should.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Your collection is done!

One less person I have to worry about taking my Para 2 off the shelf. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I've had the regular version of the Para 2 for a while now and I can honestly say it's one of the best EDC knife available today. The 943 I have feels delicate compared to the Para 2.

I am also a minimalist when it comes to folders. I don't carry large and heavy knives unless they are specifically called for. My EDC rotation includes the Para 2, ZDP FRN Stretch 2, Sage 1 and a Manix 2 for heavy duty. The 3 smaller knives beat out all other knives in my collection and of the 3, the Para 2 has a slight lead.

It's worth the money and effort. And if it happens to somehow fall out of favor for you, there's a huge demand out there for resale.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you need to convince yourself, don't. ;)
vaa

Post by vaa »

I think the Para 2 is the perfect knife (I'd love for it to have the wave pin like the P'Kal that could be removable tho). It's become my favorite Syderco. The 940 is my favorite BM but it's nowhere near the same knife. They are very different in my eyes.

If you don't want a Para 2 then get a Gayle Bradley. It's a great knife and uses a great steel and the build quality is second to none.
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Good news bad news time

Good news is that I ordered the para 2 because it just felt right, and usually when I get that feeling, the knife and I are inseperable.

Bad news is that I dished out $150 with shipping when I could have gotten it for 100 + shipping on the regular sites you guys talk about.....oh well, I suppose? At least it's located in LA, nearby my area so I should get it soon if the seller ships it out quickly :D
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

No don't get it. The less people that buy it the more of a chance that I will finally get my pre-order. Thanks!
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Definitely! You will love it for shure. I have the P3 and have not bothered buying the regular Milli and i own a civilian. The Para 2 fantastic!
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

p3pe wrote:... I have the P3!...
Is that the police 3?
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Yes that is the Police3 :)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SnowCrash wrote:I already have a benchmade 940 which is basically the same knife in a slimmer package...
That's the same reason I stopped buying apples...because they are basically the same thing as oranges. :p

Basically besides blade shape/grind, handle material, lock, ergonomics, and a method of opening, they are the same knife. In fact, I think they are even made with the same elements off the Periodic Chart.

Have you ever held one? The last 940 I held was impressive but there is a HUGE difference from a slim aluminum handled folder and a taller G10 handled one. Not better, just completely opposite. :confused:
angusW

Post by angusW »

I just came home with my new Para2. It rocks. Don't think about it. Get it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

If you paid 150 you still got your money's worth. Some people might might not think so, but I'm very impressed with mine.
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Great....the paramilitary 2 doesn't have steel liners, does it.....*facepalm*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SnowCrash wrote:Great....the paramilitary 2 doesn't have steel liners, does it.....*facepalm*
Man, you are self sabotaging one of the finest knives Spyderco has ever made. It has partial/nested steel liners at the pivot. I would suggest just holding back on any preconceived expectations you might have on this knife until you get it into your hands. ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David