How do you respond to "So why do you spend so much money/have so many knives?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Nothing in word to explain passion.
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

It's a hobby and an investment...and **** good ones at that...any more questions? :confused: :p
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
angusW

Post by angusW »

I don't have to explain anything to anyone, (please don't tell my wife I said that).

I like knives especially if they're Spyderco's. I figure it's my extra spending money so if I want to buy a truck load of diapers or a bunch of knives that's what I'm going to do. I usually find people who ask that question don't have much self reflection and are usually one type of sheep or another.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I feel no guilt about the money I spend on knives. I'm single, retired, and have no debt and only a few recurring monthly expenses - rent, insurance, and utillites. I have no dependents or people I am obligated to support. My interests, outside of knives, are few and, for the most part, inexpensive. I don't enjoy sightseeing, prefer to eat food I've cooked for myself, don't belong to country clubs, and don't gamble or indulge in other expensive forms of entertainment. Aside from a bottle of beer with dinner most nights, and the occasional bottle of wine to cook with, I don't spend money on alcohol and I gave up smoking six years ago. In short, as "excessive" as it may seem to a judgmental outsider, it's a hobby I can afford.

That's the serious answer, but if someone were to ask, what they'd probably get would be "I don't owe you money and you're not in my will, so why do you care?".

To be honest, the only people who would ever have the right to ask that question are those to whom you have an obligation to provide for, or one who might be considering spending the rest of their life with you. If one of them is asking it, then you have a real problem as it would tend to indicate they feel you're purchases are at their expense, or fear that you might do so in the future. Anyone else who asks is either just making conversation, or being a busybody.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

'it's like jewelry, but more useful'
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

"Cause I like them." No other explanation is necessary. If they push they're liable to get a long dissertation that has MANY of the other explanations, yes even the funny ones, in them.
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

My wife asks... and I wave my hand across and say "these are not the knives you are looking for"

she looks at me, shakes her head, and goes out to tend to her horses... (now THAT is an expensive hobby!)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Cobra4246

Post by Cobra4246 »

When my asks how many knives do I need?? My answer is one more than I have now!!!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The Deacon wrote: "I don't owe you money and you're not in my will, so why do you care?".
This should be a sig line! :)

On the flip side, a few weeks back I looked in my girlfriends closet and asked her why she needed that many shoes. Without missing a beat she asked why I needed so many knives.

Mute.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

tonydahose wrote:my response is i don't spend the money on booze (like so many of my other coworkers do)
This is such a big part of it. My friends with similar salaries ask me how I'm able to afford the things I have. I usually point out that I've got $40 more in my pocket at the end of every week just from not drinking when they drink. That's a lot of knives over a period of years.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Evil D wrote:One of these days i'm gonna say, because i can't legally carry a sword :D
I've said this before. I have a few swords too.

I also say:
"Because they are some of the very few things that are still made in the USA by a company whose base is in the USA and I believe in American manufacture. Provide me with more American-made product diversity and I may buy more diverse products with my money."

My girlfriend asked me about it one day a few weeks ago, so I gave her the spreadsheet of what I have and what I purchased them for. She cross-referenced it with ebay and found out that I'm up more than 3% on my investment for this year. As a former banker, she was impressed that I was beating a variety of investment/interest rates.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I have a friend with quite the gun collection. When I asked how many he had, he replied, "If you can count them, then you don't have enough."
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Pharmagator wrote:My wife asks... and I wave my hand across and say "these are not the knives you are looking for"

she looks at me, shakes her head, and goes out to tend to her horses... (now THAT is an expensive hobby!)
LMAO!!!!! This is too funny!
Sorry to say that the only people who know about my addiction is my family and a couple of other gun and knife nuts. My nice response would be that I like well crafted things made with precision...my not so nice answer would be Deacon's "I don't owe you money and you're not in my will"...my real thought is "what the f do you care, how dare you judge me when I think half the things you spend your money on are really stupid!". So, the only people who know are other zealots...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

just give them the short and sweet 6 word answer that im sure all of you guys know: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! an exception: spydercos china knives! great quality for little price! =D
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I tell my family that Spydies are much less expensive than my previous indulgences when I was single, and I can carry one almost anywhere.

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley