watch winders, anyone?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

watch winders, anyone?

Post by vampyrewolf »

So to celebrate this new job, I went out and picked up a new Titanium Citizen EcoDrive. Of course that means that my Invicta will sit at home when it's on rotation.
The fact that the invicta is a kinetic automatic wasn't a problem for the last year, since it was the primary watch on rotation despite having 9-10 to choose from on my shelf. The citizen just needs a light source to charge, and has a 6 month reserve so I'm not concerned with it going dead.

I'm going to need a dual watch winder for the invicta to sit on, since I'm bound to pick up another kinetic automatic somewhere down the line. Obviously I'm not going to put expensive watches on a $20 ebay special.

What brands or models do you guys suggest for winders?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have 4 automatic watches and a noisy winder. Probably any winder would be a noisy winder in my opinion. I don't bother using it, I just shake the watch and set it when I want to use it. If I don't want to wear an automatic, I put on a watch with a battery.

I wear an automatic on the weekend every week. It is part of my routine.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

On a similar note, I have had bad luck with Eco Drive, I have 2 out of 4 that have just stopped working, and have lost faith in them. =\ I haven't worn one in years, but I have one that is still running, covered in dust, and one that is in a padded envelope waiting to be sent in for cosmetic repairs.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vaa

Post by vaa »

Donut wrote:I have 4 automatic watches and a noisy winder. Probably any winder would be a noisy winder in my opinion. I don't bother using it, I just shake the watch and set it when I want to use it. If I don't want to wear an automatic, I put on a watch with a battery.

I wear an automatic on the weekend every week. It is part of my routine.
Donut wrote:On a similar note, I have had bad luck with Eco Drive, I have 2 out of 4 that have just stopped working, and have lost faith in them. =\ I haven't worn one in years, but I have one that is still running, covered in dust, and one that is in a padded envelope waiting to be sent in for cosmetic repairs.
I agree with you on the winders. I bought one and it stunk, literally. It had a funny smell and ended up putting a haze on the glass of one of my watches. It was noisy and didn't spin enough times/hour to keep the watch running. I threw it out. I have 4 automatic watches. A Seiko Monster (my main watch), Movado Museum, Oris Diver and a no-name. I just wind them as I use them.

I love my Eco-Drives. I have one I bought as a graduation gift for myself in 94 and it's still running today. I lost it in my house for a few years and was dead when I found it. I put it on windowsill for a few days and it came back to live. I also have a newer Eco-Drive that has been great also. I use then once or twice a month just to charge them.
________
Body science
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

If you don't find your answer here, watchuseek is a forum worth searching around on.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:On a similar note, I have had bad luck with Eco Drive, I have 2 out of 4 that have just stopped working, and have lost faith in them. =\ I haven't worn one in years, but I have one that is still running, covered in dust, and one that is in a padded envelope waiting to be sent in for cosmetic repairs.
+1
No luck with Eco Drive here. My wife gifted me one about ten years ago. I love the look and it has all options, which I need, titanium, unfortunately it keep stopping during the winter. I can even keep it all day behind the glass door, but it would stop in the evening. During five years warranty period it was repaired twice. After that I sent it twice more to Citizen. So I use it as long as it work and than my Eco is sitting on the shelf, waiting for time with more sunlight. It was quite expensive, when my wife bought it, something around 500 bucks.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TOMMY00729

Winders

Post by TOMMY00729 »

I have several Invictas & one Swiss Legend auto style watches,as far as winders go I have one made by Wolf, I think is the name brand & I can,t get it to wind in the counter clock wise rotation to wind my Invictas. If any one out there has any help for this problem please let me know. I just wind & re-set them if needed,winders seem to me that I've wasted my money!! :confused:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

What have we come to when we have to have something to wind our watches?

My vote, wear less watches, carry less knives. ;)

I have a 11 year old Seiko that takes a battery. I replace the battery about every 3 years and it runs flawlessly. Paid $320 for it and it still is a beauty. Wear it almost daily.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
racer88

Post by racer88 »

For a GOOD watch winder, be prepared to spend some money. For a double watch model... about $200 for a decent winder. And, they go up from there.

The reason for keeping automatic watches wound is to keep the lubrication "circulated" on the gears. Otherwise it gels up and the watch freezes. Ask me how I know! On a nice watch, an overhaul can cost $500 or more. Ask me how I know! :)

Here's the one I have (got as a gift): http://www.amazon.com/Bey-Berk-Watch-Wi ... 447&sr=8-3

It's not noisy. But, I keep it in the safe anyway. I have a Rolex and a Breitling. So, while I'm wearing one, the other is on the winder. I've had it for about a year. No problems. And, it works!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Ah, the beauty of multi-quote, lot easier than doing this all manually...
vaa wrote:I agree with you on the winders. I bought one and it stunk, literally. It had a funny smell and ended up putting a haze on the glass of one of my watches. It was noisy and didn't spin enough times/hour to keep the watch running. I threw it out. I have 4 automatic watches. A Seiko Monster (my main watch), Movado Museum, Oris Diver and a no-name. I just wind them as I use them.

I love my Eco-Drives. I have one I bought as a graduation gift for myself in 94 and it's still running today. I lost it in my house for a few years and was dead when I found it. I put it on windowsill for a few days and it came back to live. I also have a newer Eco-Drive that has been great also. I use then once or twice a month just to charge them.
They advertise a 180 day reserve on them now, so just leaving it out by the window for a couple weeks twice a year should be enough for the ecodrive to charge.
SlideTechnik wrote:If you don't find your answer here, watchuseek is a forum worth searching around on.
Think I created an account on there about a year ago
bh49 wrote:+1
No luck with Eco Drive here. My wife gifted me one about ten years ago. I love the look and it has all options, which I need, titanium, unfortunately it keep stopping during the winter. I can even keep it all day behind the glass door, but it would stop in the evening. During five years warranty period it was repaired twice. After that I sent it twice more to Citizen. So I use it as long as it work and than my Eco is sitting on the shelf, waiting for time with more sunlight. It was quite expensive, when my wife bought it, something around 500 bucks.
DOES say in the manual that if you wear long sleeves (see: winter), you might need to leave it in sunlight to charge. 11 hours of direct sunlight is a full charge.
TOMMY00729 wrote:I have several Invictas & one Swiss Legend auto style watches,as far as winders go I have one made by Wolf, I think is the name brand & I can,t get it to wind in the counter clock wise rotation to wind my Invictas. If any one out there has any help for this problem please let me know. I just wind & re-set them if needed,winders seem to me that I've wasted my money!! :confused:
The 8926c will wind with the weight rotating either direction
David Lowry wrote:What have we come to when we have to have something to wind our watches?

My vote, wear less watches, carry less knives. ;)

I have a 11 year old Seiko that takes a battery. I replace the battery about every 3 years and it runs flawlessly. Paid $320 for it and it still is a beauty. Wear it almost daily.
Haven't had to replace the battery in my gshock, have had it for ~5 years so far. Once I find a reliable repair shop, I've got a westclox dax to get repaired that's ~75 years old... spring finally let go after ~70 years.
racer88 wrote:For a GOOD watch winder, be prepared to spend some money. For a double watch model... about $200 for a decent winder. And, they go up from there.

The reason for keeping automatic watches wound is to keep the lubrication "circulated" on the gears. Otherwise it gels up and the watch freezes. Ask me how I know! On a nice watch, an overhaul can cost $500 or more. Ask me how I know! :)

Here's the one I have (got as a gift): http://www.amazon.com/Bey-Berk-Watch-Wi ... 447&sr=8-3

It's not noisy. But, I keep it in the safe anyway. I have a Rolex and a Breitling. So, while I'm wearing one, the other is on the winder. I've had it for about a year. No problems. And, it works!
As with anything, you get what you pay for. I was expecting to be spending roughly the same price as the watch, unless I could find one **** of a sale. Thanks for the suggestion, I've got it saved. See how soon I can grab one after xmas is all done and paid for.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is a question for watch winders. I knew a guy about 20 years ago who always wore watches he had to wind because when he wore digital watches they would run fast. If he left them on his dresser they kept perfect time but on his wrist they ran fast. I don't remember how fast but it was enough that he couldn't use them. I think they would be significantly too fast during the same day. Anyone heard of this before? I didn't see any proof of this but he swore by it and I believed him mainly because he didn't have any reason to make it up that I could think of.

Jack
vaa

Post by vaa »

David Lowry wrote:My vote, wear less watches, carry more knives. ;)
Fixed it for ya. :D
________
UNIVERSAL HEALTH WAREHOUSE
majesticwatchlover

Post by majesticwatchlover »

I have an Omega Seamaster and I'm with you you can't let a nice timepiece sit on some awful hunk of junk from amazon. I recommend an Orbita Futura mine winds three at once. I really love it because unlike the watch winder I had before, this orbita isn't noisy and it has kept my seamaster running great. I got mine off swiss t gallery for a pretty decent price, but always remember that if you buy quality, you cry once-if you buy cheap you cry again and again haha. Hope this helps vampyrewolf! :)