No more H1 fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rambo241

No more H1 fixed blades?

Post by Rambo241 »

Well not exactly, there are sill the Caspian, Jumpmaster, and Warrior in H1. But with the Rock Salt, and Aqua Salt being discontinued, there is a certain niche that is missing from the fixed blade line up IMHO. The remaining knifes all seem very specialized to me. I have no doubt that they could be used outside of their intended function, but I personally would like to see another H1 fixed blade.

How about you guys?
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I would like to see more fixed blades in carbon steel or tool steels, especially CPM-M4 or 3V, or 1095. But I like H-1 too.
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

I myself like fixed blades quite a bit more than folders, and would love to see more Spyderco offerings.
dwong

Post by dwong »

something similar to the steetbeat(or the lum) for fishing/camping use please.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I have no use, personally, for carbon steel blades. I would prefer that more knives be made with H-1 than with carbon steel, if it came down to a choice between the two.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Regardless of steel, I don't really have any interest in purchasing more fixed blade knives except, perhaps, kitchen knives. Unless they did a full tang version of the Moran DP with contoured micarta handles, that I'd be all over. But the Moran, and the kitchen knives I prefer, are all full flat ground. H-1 can't be full flat ground in a production environment, so that pretty well kills my interest in an H-1 FB.

From a less personal viewpoint, a couple knives being discontinued as slow sellers doesn't mean new ones in the same steel will not appear. The fact that other H-1 knives, both folding and fixed, remain in the lineup show this isn't a case of some "issue" causing Spyderco to abandon H-1, but simply the normal shakeout of slow sellers. The 2011 catalog is not out yet, and Sal always has a few surprises up his sleeve, so a new H-1 fixed blade may appear and, if not in then, perhaps later.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The Deacon wrote:The fact that other H-1 knives, both folding and fixed, remain in the lineup show this isn't a case of some "issue" causing Spyderco to abandon H-1, but simply the normal shakeout of slow sellers. .
Good, I'm pleased to hear this opinion. I was worried that H1 wasn't suitable for hard use. I have an aqua salt but haven't put it through its paces yet, but I have high hopes.

As for carbon steel, I don't like quick rusting steels for field use, though I have several that are nice to look at so long as I keep them protected--even in my house.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Yeah I can see why some people wouldn't like a blade in 1095 or O-1. Those steels rust very easily.

But what about CPM-3V? It's moderately rust resistant, and has excellent toughness and very good edge retention. I would love to try it out in a larger fixed blade, like in the 4.5"-6" range.

Any interest?

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/cpm_3v.shtml
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I was always a little disappointed by the tang of the aqua salt. I would really like to see something using the full tang of the Jumpmaster, but with a plain edge and a different point to improve penetration.

As far as the rock salt goes I am not surprised it had to go. A knife of that size puts it in the sort of "camp knife" category, and it was always a little too pricey for that IMHO especially since it would be put up against 20$ machetes which, with a coating, some paste wax, and a little TLC, would stand up almost as well to the same conditions at a tenth the price.

All that said I am dying for a better H1 fixed blade spydie..... and wouldn't mind a few more folding choices in it either.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Ben_1323 wrote:But what about CPM-3V? It's moderately rust resistant, and has excellent toughness and very good edge retention.
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/cpm_3v.shtml
Didn't Sal say that the Tuff will use this steel?

added-Found the thread. It's described as a little like the C95 Manix with 3V and Schempp ergos.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Sequimite wrote:Didn't Sal say that the Tuff will use this steel?
That's right. Isn't the Tuff supposed to be a folder though? Or am I not remembering right?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Ben_1323 wrote:That's right. Isn't the Tuff supposed to be a folder though? Or am I not remembering right?
Yeah, forgot I was on a fixed blade thread.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I had a crazy idea..... its not the first time. Anyway my thought was how about an H1 mule? This sounds wacky but bear with me. Part of what I like about the mule project is it FINALLY is a level playing field to compare different steels. No more trying to sort trough the effects of different blade designs, weight, handles, and such on performance these are the same but for the steel. H1, despite its use by spyderco, still isn't mainstream. This would be a great way to test it fairly against other steels. Crazy, good, or crazy good?
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

It's not likely to happen because the mule team uses a full flat grind blade, which is not feasible with H1 for the current manufacturer.

I think Spyderco may be shying away from H1 for some reason. The Rock Salt was discontinued, but it was mentioned by Sal that a FFG VG-10 model was being planned.

Also, the Aqua Salt was discontinued, and in a recent thread, there were some requests (from Sal & Michael Janich) for suggestions on how to improve the Aqua Salt sheath. Improving the sheath for a discontinued product seems kind of strange, so maybe a non-H1 version is being planned. That's pure speculation on my part, but an Aqua in VG-10 would rock.
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

hunterseeker5 wrote:I was always a little disappointed by the tang of the aqua salt. I would really like to see something using the full tang of the Jumpmaster, but with a plain edge and a different point to improve penetration.
+1 on that I would love to have a full tang H1 fixed blade! :D
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Joe Internet wrote:It's not likely to happen because the mule team uses a full flat grind blade, which is not feasible with H1 for the current manufacturer.
Doesn't have to be a FFG mule,... I little thicker stock maybe and hollow grind it,...

BUT, there was word of a mule out of a cobalt alloy which could mean non-steel and therefore non-rusting.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42947
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

&quot wrote:Doesn't have to be a FFG mule,... I little thicker stock maybe and hollow grind it,...
This would defeat the purpose of the mule team blades - keeping the exact same configuration to make it a fair comparison of the different steels.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

The point of the mules is, as I see it, both an identical design and pushing the limits with materials. Believe me I am not suggesting a flat grind for an H1 production knife, but I think it would be worth the extra effort for a mule. Now whether doing this would be erring on the difficult side or impossible side I don't know. Pushing the limits and surprising us is Sal's job in this case. Listening to people say "its not possible" never gets anyone anywhere. What today is "impossible" tomorrow will be "impractical" and they day after will be "commonplace."
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I think the problem with H-1 fixed blades is that they don't sell well enough to keep around. The folders appear to be doing well enough to expand the line while maintaining older models, but fixed blades need a special purpose to keep in the lineup without good sales.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

hunterseeker5 wrote:The point of the mules is, as I see it, both an identical design and pushing the limits with materials. Believe me I am not suggesting a flat grind for an H1 production knife, but I think it would be worth the extra effort for a mule. Now whether doing this would be erring on the difficult side or impossible side I don't know. Pushing the limits and surprising us is Sal's job in this case. Listening to people say "its not possible" never gets anyone anywhere. What today is "impossible" tomorrow will be "impractical" and they day after will be "commonplace."
True, as far as it goes. The last time this was discussed, the only way to get an H-1 Mule identical to the other Mules would have been to import them with a hollow grind and have Tom Krein regrind them to full flat. That idea was actually considered. Most balked at the cost. Tom Krein has since ceased doing regrinds, so even that option is not currently available. Might it be practical a year, or five, or ten from now - sure. Technology changes, and sometimes even improves, over time. Is it any more feasible today than it was a year or so ago, probably not. In fact, it may even be less feasible for the reason noted.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!