woo! new career!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

woo! new career!

Post by vampyrewolf »

Yep, time for another move. In the last 10 years, since entering the workforce officially (ignoring the usual paper runs, babysitting, and driveway work), I've had 5 employers and many positions. This current employer has seen me through 3 departments in 4 years. I've also managed to just about quadruple my hourly pay in the same 10 years.

Starting the 1st, I'm moving to Fort McMurray. I managed to get a job working for Harris as the Syncrude Client Services Manager. As in starting about 1/2 way up the company food chain.

Applied to them back in March, had numerous phone conversations with HR (racking up a good phone bill some months), had my interview the end of August and received my offer letter at the end of the day Thursday.

Gave my notice today, and it occurred to me... this is the FIRST company that I've given notice and worked the 2 weeks rather than walked.

I'm still here in Saskatoon till the end of the month, then get the fun of moving ~1000km and getting settled in a weekend. So when I go missing in 2 weeks, that's where I am.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Dr. Snubnose

Congrats KNifebro!

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ayyyyy....Congrats Knifebro...Sooo that's were you've been...sneaking around on interviews...halfway up the food chain huh...I'm impressed...at least you won't be anyone's breakfast when you start up....Good Luck with the move!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Good luck VW.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

COngrats on the good news! Good luck on the move and the new job. Which Spydie is going be selected to help with the move, i.e. cutting tape, cutting boxes, etc...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Congratulations Patrick!!

I wish you great success in your new job.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Congrats and much success in your new position Patrick!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ayyyyy....Congrats Knifebro...Sooo that's were you've been...sneaking around on interviews...halfway up the food chain huh...I'm impressed...at least you won't be anyone's breakfast when you start up....Good Luck with the move!...Doc :D
Nah, been having my fun brushing up on a lot of stuff I haven't had to remember since school... and learning a few things from scratch. I'll probably have another 3-4 months with my nose in the books before I've got an idea for all the stuff I have to do with the new job. The last couple weeks have been spent looking for housing up there.

I'll still have to prove myself up there, but if you're not failing you aren't trying hard enough. If I was afraid of failure I'd have stuck with this current job in a dead end (but at least it's job security). I do know the first couple months will be difficult as I'm jumping in there as management (actually, think I'll be the top of the food chain up in fort mcmurray), so I'm sure to have at least 1 or 2 people pushing back until they figure out it's not getting anywhere.
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Pneumothorax wrote:COngrats on the good news! Good luck on the move and the new job. Which Spydie is going be selected to help with the move, i.e. cutting tape, cutting boxes, etc...
This first trip up there will be 4 plastic totes in the box of my truck with the essentials. Once I've actually got a place my family is hauling the rest of it up for me. Think I've got enough bankers boxes to not have to cut any tape or boxes, and they stack in storage a lot better than a collection of random boxes.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats .
I hope you will like your new job. I am sure promotion is well deserved.
Good luck
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Outstanding! Congratulations on your new job!

Best wishes to you and the family on your new job and the move!

Also keep in mind as a new manager to observe things for a while, take into account what the previous manager had done or not done, what worked and didn't work, don't repeat past mistakes, get a feel of what those who will be working for you think, consider thinking that you and those working for you actually "work WITH" one another, and don't be quick to change things just for the sake of changing.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Congrats to you man and best of luck on your endeavors!!!! :D
Vic
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Congrats,

wish you luck and success!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Well, that's not bad... ~2hrs and 4 phone calls yesterday to get arrangements made for an apartment, and ~30min today so far... approvals and paperwork should be done Monday and ready for me to sign my life away when I get there Friday.

Of course this means I have to be all packed and ready to haul EVERYTHING up there in a week.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Good luck on the new job. I hope everything goes well for you.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Good luck with the new job and the new city and new coworkers.

That seems like a lot of things to deal with.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations Patrick and good luck with your new job. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.