Salt help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hookpunch

Salt help

Post by Hookpunch »

Well I took my Pacific Salt to the beach and I guess some sand got in the crevices. I can hear the sand grinding every time I open the blade. Does anyone have any idea how to clean it out?

If there was one change I could make to this Salt line up it would be to make the blade screwed in instead of pinned so it could be taken apart and cleaned.

Thanks
Welcome to the addiction
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

The newer of the salt series knives now come with screw construction for this very reason.
It is part of their "rolling change" so all newer models will have it. Cant really tell if your going to get screw or pinned.

I'd suggest giving the knife a good washing followed by blowing the pivot area with some compressed air. Give a good lubing and should be good to go.

Edit: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =sand+salt Heres a good thread
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

The same thing happened to my pinned Salt 1 after I wore it into the surf several times this summer. I just rinsed it out after each dunking. The gritty grinding disappeared with normal use after a couple of weeks, with no visible damage or scratching.

Not sure if mine was a mild case, or I just got lucky.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I hold the knife closed under running water squeezing the lock open so there is a gap between the lock and back of the blade. I let it dry on the counter and that usually works.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cosmo7809 wrote:The newer of the salt series knives now come with screw construction for this very reason.
It is part of their "rolling change" so all newer models will have it. Cant really tell if your going to get screw or pinned.

I'd suggest giving the knife a good washing followed by blowing the pivot area with some compressed air. Give a good lubing and should be good to go.

Edit: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =sand+salt Heres a good thread
FWIW, the change to screw pivots is being made to make initial assembly of the knife by the maker easier. I'm sure there will be those who will take them apart for cleaning, but that's not why it is being done. In fact, I'm just about certain the same "disassembly voids your warranty" caveat that applies to all other Spyderco knives applies the the new Salts as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Billy

Post by Billy »

Yup, my Salts go in the ocean and beach all the time and I find a good rinse in fresh water while working the blade open ad closed is usually all it takes.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thanks Deacon for the clarification.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Take your gritty salt to a manual car wash. The high pressure spray will blow out the sand.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Billy wrote:Yup, my Salts go in the ocean and beach all the time and I find a good rinse in fresh water while working the blade open ad closed is usually all it takes.
Bingo ! Do that with all of my folders.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

oil, motion, compressed air and time. Even those computer store style air cans work well.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Blerv wrote:oil, motion, compressed air and time. Even those computer store style air cans work well.
That worked for mine. Also used my garden hose at full blast with a very small nozzle.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Rinse with high-pressure warm water.
Spray out pivot with WD-40.
Soak in hot water with some detergent.
Rinse out again with warm water, dry.

Lubricate with Silicon oil, or PTFE (Teflon) lube.
Hookpunch

Post by Hookpunch »

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll give them a try. This is a great board!
Welcome to the addiction