This seems odd

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
unit

This seems odd

Post by unit »

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this or not...

There seems to be a fairly big entity on eBay that is boasting, "Includes 2 Year Full Replacement Warranty" on a lot (perhaps every) Spyderco knife they are offering...and some are discontinued.

I realize a guy can offer any sort of warranty they want on a sale, but assuming that Spyderco is not backing this sort of claim, this would mean that the seller is going to hold a backup stock of everything they sell (for 2 years) to back this claim? Short of that, they might be making some headaches for Spyderco?

Anyhow, thought someone might be interested...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Hmm that is odd...like you said, the only way that claim would be legit is if they could replace the items themselves...or else they got some 'splainin' to do. Someone should send them a message asking to clarify.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Does seem odd. A link would be helpful.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
unit

Post by unit »

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ok, seems to be they're including a third party "extended warranty" via an outfit called Consumer Priority Service. Doesn't appear to imply that Spyderco will replace the knife, and the terms shown do leave CPS the out of issuing a refund instead "We replace it or issue you a check for the replacement value". Assuming the warranty is any good, then I'd expect if the knife was discontinued you'd get a check. Bottom line, while the warranty may or may not be worth anything, it doesn't appear to be something Spyderco needs to be concerned about.
Paul
unit

Post by unit »

OK, cool. I guess I did not look into it deeply enough.

I fear the reality is that if/when things go wrong with such a warranty some of the aggravation will be directed at the manufacturer (wrongfully). I see this a lot with automotive extended warranties (the limitations kick in and the consumer starts wigging at anyone who will listen).

Thanks Paul!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No problem Ken. I see your point. The really silly part here is that the third party warranty doesn't seem to cover anything not already covered by Spyderco's warranty and that the Rock Lobster can be had for anywhere from $25 to $40 cheaper from other eBay sellers.
Paul