What Teachers Make

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
c.joe

What Teachers Make

Post by c.joe »

An amazing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuBmSbiVXo0

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuBmSbiVXo0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuBmSbiVXo0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

GREAT video..........applies to any country...........applies to ALL Countries! :cool:

We treat Teachers often appallingly, pay them generally poorly, yet expect them to MAKE SURE our children achieve success if not fame..........anyone recognise the contradiction......? :rolleyes:

Regards,

BRIAN
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Fantastic! :cool:

Thanks for posting this c.joe.

My Mother is a retired teacher.
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I don't even have children, and I found that extremely moving. One of my sisters has been passionate about teaching for many years. She taught at the elementary school level for most of her career, and, after a particularly bitter strike, decided to teach education majors, at the university level. One bachelor's degree, two master's, and, at the age of 58, a doctorate. With her drive and dedication, I have no doubt she could have made a lot more money doing something else, but she decided to do what she loved.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I liked that a lot.

I'm only twenty, and remember high school like it was yesterday. I had some amazing teachers. Oh, while I was in school I hated their classes. Always pushing me, always telling me that I could do better,and also ENCOURAGING ME TO DO BETTER. Taking time out of their days to speak to me after class and tell me I COULD, and giving me advice for being a better student, better person and handing me LOTS of MOTIVATION.

I was always on good terms with my teachers. All of them liked me. I was that kid who could always do better, but scraped by with the minimum amount of effort, and still was at the top of the class (a little showing off never hurts :D ) Looking back, I'm really grateful for all these teachers' help.

I had one in particular, my History and Economics teacher, Mr. Lipscombe. He was the man. He loved teaching, and you could see it and feel it. His speeches were well thought out and engaging. I loved that guy, while everyone else despised him for trying his best to teach us as efficiently and well as possible.

I was very inspired by a few of my teachers, and for a long time considered becoming one as well. I've left that road right now, and am pursuing other things, but its always in the back of my mind.

Teachers get a lot of Sh*t, but they really are important figures in kids' lives. Not all students will take something away from their teachers consciously, most unconsciously, some nothing at all, but its the people that are influenced, and influenced for the better that I think makes a teacher's job worthwhile.

I could go on and on about teachers. I think theyre great people, most of them anyway. The ones who are the best are the ones who actually make an effort to help students, and many times its not only on the academic level.

Sorry for the rant, its just a topic that is very close to my heart, considering some of my best memories of teachers are very positive.

Cheers.
whkento

Post by whkento »

Thank you.

I don't believe that I make that kind of thing happen every day, but I still endeavor to do so.

I, too, had some awesome teachers in my time. I still see a few now and then (at work). Occasionally I have the honor to teach with one of 'em.

One more thing -- we are all teachers at some point. Try to recognize and use those 'teachable moments' with whoever is ready to learn, and with whatever subject is at hand.

All the best.

Kento
jeru

Post by jeru »

I'm studying history to become a teacher and yesterday I activated my account here: thank you for posting this!! Never seen it before. I LOL'ed. LOVE IT!! Goose bumps. Thank you!!!
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Respect, is all I can say :)
thewannabesurvivalist
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

thanks! i passed on to the wife, i am sure will love it!!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I'm not usually a fan of such things, but this video was great! Thanks for sharing!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Taylor Mali came to our school and performed this skit among others. He's an awesome guy and sweats talent. Very inspiring.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Azad

Post by Azad »

I was in law enforcement for 10 years before getting injured and asking for the transfer into the teaching service. I'm not sure if this applies to teachers everywhere but generally the pay we draw here does not commensurate to the amount of hard work we've to put in. Compared to teaching I've found law enforcement to be a walk in the park with less chance of harm to life and limb (might be debatable here). The non-monetary rewards however makes up for it. My first batch of students are leaving the school for junior high and though it's tough to let go I can see some with real potential in them. That's a big enough reward... No one becomes a teacher to get rich; if they did they've got their priorities wrong. I don't teach in a top tier school, we are publicly funded and the majority of our students are on financial aid. For some reason I like it this way... There's more chance to make a difference though discipline issues can be a headache. Despite what you think the majority of teachers do have your best interest at heart... I myself would have been a much different person if it wasn't for a teacher who realized this kid who was later diagnosed with ADHD was worth spending time on.

It's the first of October... Happy Children's Day and do give your teachers a break. We are trying our best so that you can fulfill your highest potential.

Rant over... I'm going to go back to grading assignments and planning my lessons.