Please Rate My Sickness....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PovertyViaKnifeCollecting

Please Rate My Sickness....

Post by PovertyViaKnifeCollecting »

Hey all,

I am a new spyderco knife collector. I only started buying spyderco in 2010 but my addiction seems to be quite strong already.

To date I have purchased:
-Persistence
-Delica 4 FFG blue
-Delica 4 FFG brown
-Endura 4 FFG grey
-Military Orange
-Manix 2 CTS-XHP
-Sage 1 CF

Plus on backorder/preorder I have:
-Balance CF
-Lum CF
-Paramilitary 2

I LOVE :spyder: ! Just wondering what you guys/girls thing my sickness level is on 1-10 rating.

Thanks
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

As a collector, probably in the 3-5 range depending on what percentage of your total income you have dedicated to buying Spydercos. You have exibited many of the addiction symptoms: multiples of one model (Delica), multiple steels to play with (VG-10, CPM S30V, and CTS-XHP) and multiple handle materials (FRN, G10, and CF).

Keep up the good work!!! ;)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

PovertyViaKnifeCollecting wrote: I LOVE :spyder: ! Just wondering what you guys/girls thing my sickness level is on 1-10 rating.

Thanks
4, I am much sicker. Bought 40+ almost full line of Sypdie this year already with multiple copies of what I really like... Caly3 CF, Stretch CF, Sage CF... losing my count.
I would ask Sal to offer subscription discounts program to save me some money. Or please someone stop my addiction to the Spydie drug. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You're off to a good start, but I have it worse. I got my first :spyder: in 2010 and now am up to 65 with several more releases still coming this year.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fair warning. Your total so far this year looks about the same as mine was the year I started and I have over 500 :spyder: 's now. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

You guys have got to cut the habit cold turkey. You can't even hold a knife. Just send them to me. :D
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

Nice start to the collection. You can look at it from a strict quantity POV, or as a percentage of income spent on Spydies. In my case, I have purchased about a dozen knives in the past six months and it is at the expense of having a social life. Hi! My name is tanrichguy and I'm an addict!
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Judging by your avatar name you are pretty bad my friend. :p

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

it is September. You bought seven knives. If you started in January, than it is not too bad, very healthy. If you bought all of them within a month, report back to us in January and than we will be able to tell better
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Well i guess you're a little farther along with :spyder: virus then i am. I bought my first Spyderco Native III at the beggining of august. I went back to the SFO and got an Delica 4 SG, Grasshopper, and Honeybee. And two days ago, I got a Tasman Salt. I only have one purchase planned (the SS balance when/if it comes out) otherwise i think i'm done buying knives for a while...
PovertyViaKnifeCollecting

Post by PovertyViaKnifeCollecting »

tanrichguy wrote:Nice start to the collection. You can look at it from a strict quantity POV, or as a percentage of income spent on Spydies. In my case, I have purchased about a dozen knives in the past six months and it is at the expense of having a social life. Hi! My name is tanrichguy and I'm an addict!
Haha I like your attitude tanrichguy!

gbelleh wrote:You're off to a good start, but I have it worse. I got my first :spyder: in 2010 and now am up to 65 with several more releases still coming this year.
gbelleh you are a monster haha. I wish I was able to grab 65 spidies this year. Maybe next year!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest I started buying knives this year around march. In addition to my 7 spyderco's I have also purchased about 5 benchmades and 2 cold steel knives. I think i relate well with tanrichguy: im not spending money i dont have, im just allocating a large portion of my spending money to knives. My forum name is sort of a joke because of how ludicrous most of my friends find my new habit :)

I love many knife designs but I have to say that nothing gets me as excited as a new :spyder:

Thanks for the responses guys!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ohhhh you only have the fever...the sickness hasn't started....I have as many spydercos as I do posts on this forum...that is real sickness....Just believing what I just posted is a sickness...Good thing I'm a Doc.... Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

"Please Rate My Sickness...."

Can't see a thing wrong at all, as long as you don't go into debt.

If you are in debt, may I suggest Dave Ramsey?
Ed Schempp

Maslow

Post by Ed Schempp »

Maslow's hierarchy of needs puts food, clothing, and shelter at the top of the list. Spyderco's are a means to these primary needs. It is not an addiction but a striving to protect and look out for you and yours.

When you approach the next level of needs, companionship, self actualization, etc; you need to become familiar with the Schempp-Spydercos.

After enough time and many models later the Spyderco wisdom will drip off of you, you will have followers, knowledge and enlightenment, and a high performance path to enlightenment.

When you share the teachings with your significant others they will be inspired and share the vision...Take Care...Ed
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Ed Schempp wrote:Maslow's hierarchy of needs puts food, clothing, and shelter at the top of the list. Spyderco's are a means to these primary needs. It is not an addiction but a striving to protect and look out for you and yours.

When you approach the next level of needs, companionship, self actualization, etc; you need to become familiar with the Schempp-Spydercos.

After enough time and many models later the Spyderco wisdom will drip off of you, you will have followers, knowledge and enlightenment, and a high performance path to enlightenment.

When you share the teachings with your significant others they will be inspired and share the vision...Take Care...Ed
Now I understand why I have all but two of your Spyderco collaborations, and I am still hunting them. :spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes, this is why I have all of the Schempp designs (except the Balance and Red Persian I'm still waiting for). I'm getting closer, but still a long way from knife-vana.
:bug-red-white
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

It's all fun and games until you get the addiction-within-the-addiction. It has a name. It has four letters. They are K-O-P-A. And then there are The Deacon's Kiwis. Let's not even go there. :D
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Ed Schempp wrote:Maslow's hierarchy of needs puts food, clothing, and shelter at the top of the list. Spyderco's are a means to these primary needs. It is not an addiction but a striving to protect and look out for you and yours.

Wow Mr. Schempp, I'm now even more of a fan of you hearing you talk about self-actualization and the hierarchy of needs (a theory that always made so much sense to me)...and I agree that spyderco's are a good way to accelerate your path to self-actualization :) . Can't wait to get your new red G-10 persian btw!! I have a feeling each beautiful design I choose tells me something more about my psyche and leads me to a greater understanding of myself

It would be even more easy to relate spydie's to Jungian psychology...the archetypes are right there in the names...catcherman, worker, hunter, police, jester, sage, etc :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Maslow was the one who said "When all you have is a hammer every problem begins to look like a nail"... glad I have a few Schempps that keep me company...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*