2nd Run of CTS-XHP Manix 2 Out

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scottie3000

2nd Run of CTS-XHP Manix 2 Out

Post by Scottie3000 »

I just got a notification that my order from March for a CTS-XHP Manix 2 was just shipped. If you have one on order, you will probably see your shipping notifications soon too. :)
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Yeah, I didn't receive a shipping notice yet, but yesterday I saw the "temporary authorization" charge pending on my credit card, so it sounds like they are getting ready to ship it.

It's been hard waiting, watching other people's comments about how great it is! :)
Azad

Post by Azad »

At long last...
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Sequence of events in the past 1/2 hour...

1) Saw this thread
2) Immediately checked Knife Center
3) Yes, in stock :)
4) Called them up and spoke to Allie (hope I've spelled that right, she was very pleasant)
5) Now I've got one coming :D

I've wanted to get an M2 anyway, been trying to trade into one for about a month, but if at all possible I really would've liked to get a green one so this timing was great for me. Now I've just got to work on getting some other stuff moved out to make room for the M2. Whatever it is, I have a feeling it'll be very much worth it. ;)
~ Nate
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

ally is my girl!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i got another one coming too. for 120 its great. i sold one on k-bst a few weeks ago for $125. now i can have a copy again :D :p :D
freedoom

Post by freedoom »

I just nabbed one from KC as well.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Since this ones are so successful, I hope spyderco makes this a regular production run. Please Sal.
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

^Agreed. Maybe limited production? And with black G10, so the collectors don't feel snubbed (Remember the orange millie incident?)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

wongKI wrote:^Agreed. Maybe limited production? And with black G10, so the collectors don't feel snubbed (Remember the orange millie incident?)
Well, as long as I can get that steel, it won't matter what the color of the scales are. :D
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Off topic: I feel nothing bad for the people who bought the orange Millie thinking it was a run of only 600 and were upset when it became regular limited production. IMO, most of those people were never going to use the knife anyways, they just wanted it to be a one-time run so they could sell what they bought for a profit. Making the run regular production didn't hurt anyone besides the people prospecting in the price of a limited knife. If the demand is there, and Spyderco can turn a profit, I say make them, and make them all the same.

I agree that the demand for the XHP Manix 2 has seemed good enough to make this a regular production item. I checked EBay today and found them listed for over $200. That's all we as the consumer are getting if this stays a finite run; outrageous prices after the initial supply has dried up. Again this only benefits the people who buy up these knives in bulk for the sole reason as to turn a profit later on down to road.

OK, that sounded bad. It's not the manufacturer's fault that's the way it is. They don't make the demand for an item, they just supply it. It just irks me when one individual buys a dozen of a sprint run with no intention of using them.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

I agree, but I think it would be best if this were kept as a sprint and another FFG XHP Manix 2 model came out as reg production, or even limited production.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I think sprint run should mean sprint run. Otherwise, it's difficult to know what to buy first, and to judge what the current fair price is for what we are led to believe is going to be a scarce item.

BTW, the XHP M2 is incredible! I definitely hope there will be more M2s with this steel, grind, and skeletonizing, whatever the color of the scales.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have one and use it and I'm glad there are more. I think more people should get to experience the steel.

The picture on KC is Saber Ground and it's cheaper than the first one was. It would be nice if it were saber ground, to make each their own knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

A bit off topic, but I take it that knife center is a reliable retailer of Spyderco products?
siamo il rumore
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I know cost and resale value are somewhat based on the number produced so why doesn't Spyderco number Limited Edition knives?
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

RyanA wrote:A bit off topic, but I take it that knife center is a reliable retailer of Spyderco products?
Very reliable, have no worries...
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

RyanA wrote:A bit off topic, but I take it that knife center is a reliable retailer of Spyderco products?
Yes, along with many other knives and related items. :)

In regards to how the price of the XHP Manix 2 took off after the first batch came out, well, it largely comes down to how much you want one versus how patient you are.

If the initial batch was the only one then there isn't much choice but to pay what the secondary market demands and hope you can be in the right place at the right time to score a good deal. But in the case of this knife where we knew more were coming then it's a matter of whether or not you want to wait and get one at a "normal" price or satisfy the urge more quickly at a premium. Granted, there's some gamble in waiting as well since you could potentially not know about the second release until it's too late or you may not have the spare cash to buy when it hits. The demand did not wane but there was more supply down the road. Personally, as long as I kept that in mind and made an effort to stay abreast of the developments then I felt it was better to wait than pay more in the interim, however long it might be, for getting one sooner. Turns out the wait wasn't bad at all.
~ Nate
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Sweet! Means my preorder should be in any time now!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

IIRC, Sal has said that CTS XHP is likely to be used in other knives in the future. I don't recall him saying that there would necessarily be other XHP M2 versions, but who knows? If you search the "casual bombshell" thread there's probably more information on future XHP use.