Spyderco Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jeep45238

Spyderco Manix 2

Post by jeep45238 »

Made in the USA baby :D

Partially serrated, 154CM steel. Serrations were sharp enough from the factory that I didn't touch them, and they will easily/cleanly cut thin thermal paper. The plain edge was sharp, but I did make thin that down a bit and make it sharper. The blade on the standard knives is hollow ground, and it is quite the slicer.

It features a jimped choil where most would expect it on the handel, along with one right at the hinge, part on the blade and part on the handle. When choking up and griping tightly, the user can exert more force and use it with more finesse - I dig it. The steel liners are also jimped, and when combined with the G10 scales, the knife is plain old LOCKED into the user's hand. It does NOT flex at all, unlike some of my previous knives (and my current Spyderco Delica's). This is a TANK of a knife. The tip can be oriented for lefties or righties, tip up only - I will be putting a zip tie on tonight to make the blade open as it clears my pocket.

The lock is ambidextrous, and utilizes a hardened steel ball bearing to lock the steel blade to the solid steel liners. There is no blade play at all when closed, locked open, or anywhere inbetween. Instead of using a pin to take the force of cutting, it utilizes a steel block that is held in at two different locations. Muy bueno.

I got this from the cutlery store in Newport, KY for $86 after tax. It is MORE than worth it. I would highly recommend this knife to others in the future.

One thing that I have found universal with users is the hatred of the inability to release the lock one handed. If you look at the cage for the bearing, when you apply force from one side only it binds up and will not move. Personally, I think this is via design, and I like it. It keeps the lock from accidentally being released, and with the bushing setup, the blade could cause some serious damage to the user extremely quickly. One other thing that I've noticed is some users complain about the jimped choil by the blade pivot, yet they refuse to choke up on the blade and try using it that way.

Just opinions of a dumb trigger puller :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Thanks for the pics & review. Spyderco has a hit with this knife at an affordable price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

One thing that I have found universal with users is the hatred of the inability to release the lock one handed.
Huh? Sure you can close the Manix2 one-handed. Just pinch the bearing cage between thumb & forefinger on the hand holding the knife. Keep other fingers clear of the blade, and pull back on the cage. The blade will drop down, when held horizontally, and just rotate your wrist to complete closure.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Good review. I love this knife too! :) The lock spring on mine has loosened up considerably now that it's been broken in, and it's now very easy to close (and open :D ) by disengaging the lock. I always forget that this knife comes in 3 blade configurations. One hardly ever sees pictures of the partially or fully serrated versions, so kudos for that.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Huh? Sure you can close the Manix2 one-handed. Just pinch the bearing cage between thumb & forefinger on the hand holding the knife. Keep other fingers clear of the blade, and pull back on the cage. The blade will drop down, when held horizontally, and just rotate your wrist to complete closure.
Yes, do it this way while wedging the butt of the handle in your palm.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Manix 2 is a great knife! I just received this one (my third M2) in the mail today...

:bug-red-white
27x40

Post by 27x40 »

Nice write up. It's good to see pics of the knife in hand. thanks
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Huh? Sure you can close the Manix2 one-handed. Just pinch the bearing cage between thumb & forefinger on the hand holding the knife. Keep other fingers clear of the blade, and pull back on the cage. The blade will drop down, when held horizontally, and just rotate your wrist to complete closure.
I agree - on my late night walk to the gas station to buy a gallon of milk, I open/closed it 240 times one way, 200 the other (I started mid walk on that one).

The way that you and I close it one handed makes sure that the cage doesn't bind - but the 'knife experts' that do all of the reviews on youtube think otherwise. Thus, my comment about most people - most folks aren't knife folks, or think problems out logically.

Simsmac wrote:Good review. I love this knife too! :) The lock spring on mine has loosened up considerably now that it's been broken in, and it's now very easy to close (and open :D ) by disengaging the lock. I always forget that this knife comes in 3 blade configurations. One hardly ever sees pictures of the partially or fully serrated versions, so kudos for that.
I used to carry two Enduras, one plain edge, one fully serrated. I kept the plain edge at a 20* inclusive for most of the length, until I got to the base where I kept it wider. The reason why is because if I forgot my serrated knife, it'll let me put a ton of force onto the blade without damaging or rolling it.

Well, I said to myself "self, why get another full plain edge? Get a combo, you always used the near tip of the plain edge anyway, and the serrations will work better than the rarely used wide angle" Have your cake and eat it too, I guess. My M2 now wears a 30* angle on the plain edge put on by my Edge Pro (which I sharpen knives with for my business), and then had the final edge put on by the Sharpmaker's fine rods on 40* for 2 swipes on the flat side, which guarantees there's no burr. It's also a heck of a lot better idea (in my eyes) to remove the burr with a guided system when you're grinding with a guided system.

Hence, the purchase of a combo edge. For the average user, I don't recommend them - your average user can't sharpen a knife worth a **** though, let alone serrations.
the lone gunman

Post by the lone gunman »

This is my first post so first off ,Hi to all. I EDC a Manix2 and have found I can close with my right hand (clip as shown in above pic) index and thumb working the lock and moving my 3 lesser fingers up to grip the bottom side of the clip. My fingers are safely out of the way. Closing in my left hand takes more caution as I have to grip with my 3 fingers still in blades way. I practice left hand closing by holding the blade close to my leg or another object to restrict the blade from swinging all the way shut. Maybe in time I will gain more strength in my left hand . I kind of wish it had some jimping on the butt end . Just a tiny bit above the clip screws to better grip in my palm. Still love this knife no matter.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The design of the Manix 2 allows you to close it safely like this...

[CENTER]ImageImage[/CENTER]

Thumb and forefinger on the ball cage, middle finger behind the guard, blade choil drops on finger. I'm a lefty, but it should work equally well for those who are right handed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

The Deacon wrote:The design of the Manix 2 allows you to close it safely like this...

[...snip...]

Thumb and forefinger on the ball cage, middle finger behind the guard, blade choil drops on finger. I'm a lefty, but it should work equally well for those who are right handed.
I personally find that to be a harder method, because you can't use your palm to press against the butt of the knife. But maybe I'm just weak... :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Simsmac wrote:I personally find that to be a harder method, because you can't use your palm to press against the butt of the knife. But maybe I'm just weak... :)
Tried that method too. It does have the advantage of allowing the blade to close completely in a single motion once your hand is positioned. On the other hand, mine works without my needing to reposition my hand on the grip, and the knife feels a lot more secure in my hand. As with most things in life, YMMV and I suspect practice with either method will make it seem easier.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

This is what I do also. The key is that your little finger is wedged against the clip (dont want it slipping into the path). Having said that, if I play with it too much, the tip of my little finger starts getting sore. And I find if my timing is off when I flip the blade closed - if i dont let go of the lock when the blade is nearing full closure - sometimes it bounces back out.

Bottom line for me - you can one hand close the M2, but its not as much fun as a WIL or RIL or even Comp for me.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

+1
Why I love this blade and my Millie; can easily, and full, close one handed.
Pull out, flick open, cut, close... all one handed! :D
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!