(Poll) Would you want a Spyderco neck knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you want this kind of knife?

Yes
52%
No
32%
Indifferent
15%

Total votes: 142

Frapiscide

(Poll) Would you want a Spyderco neck knife?

Post by Frapiscide »

Well, this was just an idea that came into my head while I was going to sleep. This is a design that I want to pitch to Sal and Eric and see what the forum community thinks.

What about a neck knife, only 5.25" in length, and a blade length of only 2". Blade steel is H1 and is 3mm thick, so you wouldn't need to worry about rusting from constant contact with body sweat. I can't think of a name right now, so it's just called the Spyderco H1

Here's the concept blade on 1/8" graph paper:

Unfortunately, my Scanner isn't working properly, so I can just post a picture I took of it. Last name was blurred for obvious reasons.

redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

An H1 neck knife is a great idea, and something that's been missing from the H1 lineup- unless you can maybe count the Caspian??? Nice design.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

No thanks ... never could see the point of carrying a lump of sharp metal around my neck :D It would undoubtably attract attention from LEOs too because it would be seen as concealment or even disguise.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I think its a great idea! All of these other brands are making neck knives left and right and spyderco is the one with the amazing rust proof H1 steel. They should definately take this into consideration :spyder: :) :spyder:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just voted yes. I've been wanting a neck knife for a while and since Spyderco didn't have anything interesting at the moment I bought one from another company. It' a nice little fixed blade that's very easy to get to. There is one thing that prevents me from using this knife as a neck knife. When I lean forward it hangs in the way. When you wear a neck tie think of how often you need to keep it out of your food and other things. There is a solution by buying a neck knife lanyard (or making one) that goes around your neck and also around your body (which will keep the knife against the body). It too has limitations based on if you want to wear it inside or outside your clothing. I was lucky in that the neck knife fits into a leather belt sheath that I've had forever. That's how I use it.

I voted yes because the basic idea is great and others may not care about the issues I mentioned. It's funny sometimes the little issues combined with a great idea that result in the great idea not being put into practice.

I bought the cheaper one to see if I wanted to spend serious money on a neck knife and it worked for me. If Spyderco had one with good steel and their quality standards I would have bought one just to find out I wouldn't use a neck knife and had spent money that I would have rather have spent on something else.

Here's an alternative: Create a neck knife sheath that will hold folders. The sheath could hang upside down with a velcro or snap fastener and hold several different models of Spyderco knives. Two or three different sizes should accomodate any folder you may want to hang around your neck. Spyderco saves money on design and manufacturing and people could change their favorite pocket or belt sheath folder into a neck knife. If I thought I would use a neck knife that is a route I would take. Low cost to see if you liked and would use a neck type of carry. The sheath could also have a belt loop for belt carry as well so it wouldn't go unused. I hate spending money on something I won't end up using. That is money truely wasted.

Jack
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

jackknifeh wrote:I just voted yes. I've been wanting a neck knife for a while and since Spyderco didn't have anything interesting at the moment I bought one from another company. It' a nice little fixed blade that's very easy to get to. There is one thing that prevents me from using this knife as a neck knife. When I lean forward it hangs in the way. When you wear a neck tie think of how often you need to keep it out of your food and other things. There is a solution by buying a neck knife lanyard (or making one) that goes around your neck and also around your body (which will keep the knife against the body). It too has limitations based on if you want to wear it inside or outside your clothing. I was lucky in that the neck knife fits into a leather belt sheath that I've had forever. That's how I use it.

I voted yes because the basic idea is great and others may not care about the issues I mentioned. It's funny sometimes the little issues combined with a great idea that result in the great idea not being put into practice.

I bought the cheaper one to see if I wanted to spend serious money on a neck knife and it worked for me. If Spyderco had one with good steel and their quality standards I would have bought one just to find out I wouldn't use a neck knife and had spent money that I would have rather have spent on something else.

Here's an alternative: Create a neck knife sheath that will hold folders. The sheath could hang upside down with a velcro or snap fastener and hold several different models of Spyderco knives. Two or three different sizes should accomodate any folder you may want to hang around your neck. Spyderco saves money on design and manufacturing and people could change their favorite pocket or belt sheath folder into a neck knife. If I thought I would use a neck knife that is a route I would take. Low cost to see if you liked and would use a neck type of carry. The sheath could also have a belt loop for belt carry as well so it wouldn't go unused. I hate spending money on something I won't end up using. That is money truely wasted.

Jack
I see and agree from what you've said about neck knives. They tend to be a Love it or Hate it kind of blade. Neck knives I find fill a niche market. The strength and ease of a fixed blade, but with the size and (possibly) weight of a folder. This may be a somewhat controversial production blade for Spyderco.

I also think that that's a very cool idea you posted about the sheath.
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

Swick works for me... Scott Gere made me a very nice sheath with lanyard.

I'm not a proponent of these style of knives for the reasons stated above by others, but if I'm working where i need quick need of a knife it is very ideal. I just think for everyday usage it's totally out of the question for me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the concept :)

I'm still hoping and praying for a Byrd steel Ronin. :D
presbo

Post by presbo »

LQQks good to me.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

presbo wrote:LQQks good to me.
You telling me to quit?
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Maybe someone should start a new thread where everyone could show spyderco knife designs they have drawn. I know I have drawn some pretty cool blade shapes. well i think so :cool:
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Though I like the idea, I've never seen a neck knife that I'd buy - they always have some odd-*** shape. Murray Carter does have some nice, normal shapes, though. Also, do people accually carry knives around their necks out in the open and feel comfortable doing so? Can't say I would, though I'd like to.

- best wishes, Jazz.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Nice drawing. I never really carried a neck knife, I did buy a few Spots and have carried one occasionally but it was mainly just to see if I would use it. Granted the spot is a small little blade so not a lot of uses that I could find to justify having it around my neck. So what do they get used for?
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

The only neck knife I own is the ESEE Izula but I have never actually worn it around my neck. I would probably buy one assuming it came with a decent sheath and the price was right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I would shoot for a 2.25" blade, but that's just me. :p

Looks great! Might want to just put the jimping (The Street Beat has some of the best jimping I've ever felt on a knife) on the spine itself rather than a raised area for easier machining and keeping the blank at a flat 1" wide. The deep choil is nice and with 3/16" scales it would fill the hand quite well while staying thin.

I agree that a small, standard-handle fixed blade is a hole in the Spyderco line-up. The name is so well known and respected that a decent design would almost certainly get the interest of the tactical and armed civilian folks out there. Make a decent full-flat or scandi-grind leaf-shaped blade with a handle that works well for both edge-forward and inverted-edge grips and they would have a real show stopper. Keep it under 2.5" in blade and it could even hit restrictive markets like Illinois and the even more restrictive Chicago knife laws.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

I love small fixed blades like the Fallkniven WM-1, ESEE Izula and Bark River Mini Canadian among many others. I never carry them around my neck, I use them as fixed blade pocket knives.

If Spyderco made a nice small utility fixed blade I'd buy it (as long as it's not made in Taiwan or China, just personal preference). H1 would be nice, but that would mean the knife would have to be hollow ground. I'm not a big fan of hollow ground fixed blades, I like flat or convex ground knives a lot more.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

jackknifeh wrote: Here's an alternative: Create a neck knife sheath that will hold folders. The sheath could hang upside down with a velcro or snap fastener and hold several different models of Spyderco knives. Two or three different sizes should accomodate any folder you may want to hang around your neck. Spyderco saves money on design and manufacturing and people could change their favorite pocket or belt sheath folder into a neck knife. If I thought I would use a neck knife that is a route I would take. Low cost to see if you liked and would use a neck type of carry. The sheath could also have a belt loop for belt carry as well so it wouldn't go unused. I hate spending money on something I won't end up using. That is money truely wasted.

Jack
Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths makes some of these. It's my understanding that they are custom jobs, though, as even the same model of knife may have slight variances. http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/ours.html

Regarding the "necker", I'd love one. I do have a swick, but wouldn't mind a more traditional handled neck knife.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

psychophipps wrote:I would shoot for a 2.25" blade, but that's just me. :p
I did a 2" blade so more people across the US could carry it.
psychophipps wrote:Might want to just put the jimping (The Street Beat has some of the best jimping I've ever felt on a knife) on the spine itself rather than a raised area for easier machining and keeping the blank at a flat 1" wide.
I actually was patterning the blade after the Manix 2's blade, including the jimping, just that drawing it would have been a bit harder.
Franciscomv wrote: H1 would be nice, but that would mean the knife would have to be hollow ground. I'm not a big fan of hollow ground fixed blades, I like flat or convex ground knives a lot more.
I did H1 for the consideration of body sweat. Though, they could also make it in VG-10, with a FFG, similar to the Temperence 2's blade pattern.

I'd also like to see Sal or Eric chime in and see what they think about the concept.

I'll whip up a CADD model later today for S*** giggles.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would like a neck knife size knife in the 2.23-2.5" blade length with similar styling to the the Jess Horn.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

How much extra would a stonewash finished add to the end price? Considering the 3mm thick H1 steel.