This is just bad!

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
frontline29

This is just bad!

Post by frontline29 »

Check out these smokin hot deals!... :rolleyes:
http://www.knife911.com/spyderco-knives-c-22.html

I don't know if this has been posted before, if so just let the thread die.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think this website has been listed here before. Problem is, although the website is in English, the seller is located in China. Enforcement of trademark law over there is non-existent. The web hosting service that's hosting the site is located there as well, so I doubt "trademark infringement" would be a violation of their TOS. But, at least it gives us a pretty good idea where the ones that get listed on eBay by US sellers originally came from.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

This site carries the exact same knife as I reported on Ebay yesterday. The sad thing is that there are some out there (that don't know any better) that look at a web site like this and it validated for them that this is in fact a Spyderco product. It's really a shame that nothing can be done about this. It would be really interesting to know how many of these make it back to Golden for repair.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Paul,

Whois shows the site owner as BEIJING INNOVATIVE LINKAGE TECHNOLOGY LTD. They claim to use S30v in a few of the knock-offs, which can't possibly be true at those prices. They claim to use VS-10 steel in others, but as far as I can tell, there's no such steel. Perhaps they lost something in the translation of what they stole. Maybe if they can't be held to trademark law, they could be hit for fraud.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

They are safe because they are hiding in China and you'd have to pursue a case against them through the Chinese legal system ... like that's ever going to happen :rolleyes:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
TBob

Post by TBob »

PRC is supposedly trying to improve their image as a trading partner both in Asia and around the world. While they were just named the 2nd biggest economy, they are also the biggest joke and they know it. It wouldn't hurt to send a complaint to Commerce and State just to get on record. You never know.
amar

Post by amar »

TBob wrote:PRC is supposedly trying to improve their image as a trading partner both in Asia and around the world. While they were just named the 2nd biggest economy, they are also the biggest joke and they know it. It wouldn't hurt to send a complaint to Commerce and State just to get on record. You never know.
Sent a complaint to their Ministry of Commerce. Let's see if they respond.
TBob

Post by TBob »

amar wrote:Sent a complaint to their Ministry of Commerce. Let's see if they respond.
Sorry for not being clear. I meant our Commerce Dept. Protecting the IP of American companies and individuals is part of their job.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I watched a documentary on New Balance and knock-offs in China. They ended up winning a lawsuit in China by suing for "unethical business practices" or something similar. Its not a guarantee, but it might not be a bad idea to have someone in Spyderco do a little reading.

From the way it sounded in the documentary, New Balance wants to end the knock-off production entirely. They might be willing to share advice on how to fight it.
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

Hey guys, late to this thread...

This is what I don't like about Spyderco making knives in China. Those big, honking spider emblems! :)

But seriously, I know that not every Chinese manufacturer is a con artist. And I know that for some items, especially electronics, I don't have a choice. But with all of the crap, dishonesty, and poison baby food that comes from there, I really don't want to support China. And IMO, the Chinese government is just as guilty, because they look the other way.

But I'm stuck, because I broke down and bought a byrd Cara Cara 2, and love the design. In fact, I like it enough that I'll probably start a collection of G-10 byrds. But there I go, sending money to China...

I understand Spyderco's decision to manufacture the byrd line in China, and am okay with that, because they didn't fire the USA staff to do so. But man, I wish the Chinese connection could be closed. Or fixed.

Okay guys, sorry for the rant. I'm sure this has all been dicussed before.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Joe Internet wrote:I understand Spyderco's decision to manufacture the byrd line in China, and am okay with that, because they didn't fire the USA staff to do so. But man, I wish the Chinese connection could be closed. Or fixed.
I think the main thing to remember is that in any product the manufacturing is just a part of it ... virtually all of the other parts of the product are American (design, distribution, marketing etc.) and the profits are made in America where they pay the salaries of the Spydie-staff. Also, even products that are made in the US probably source materials or use manufacturing plant that owes at least part of its origins to China or other foreign countries, so it's a lot more complicated than people think. I just prefer to support the company and let them decide how to get the best deal for them and their customers :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)