Dragonfly vs Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackthedog

Dragonfly vs Caly 3

Post by jackthedog »

Hi,

I've been looking at photos but haven't actually handled a Caly 3 (I own a Dragonfly) and was wondering, are the ergonomics of the Caly 3 similar to that of the Dragonfly? Essentially a Dragonfly on steroids?

Thanks!
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

they are different, The caly fits my hand much better and feels more ergonomic
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The blade shapes are very similar, but the ergos are different. I actually prefer the ergos of the D'fly... it fits my hand very very well for a knife of its size. For a 3" blade, I prefer the handle of the Sage.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think the ergonomics of the Caly 3 are better, and I can get a full four finger grip on it without using the choil. I also prefer the full width spine, makes it easier on my hand if I have to press down on it.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me ergos of Caly3 is much better, the knife is better as well for most of the cutting tasks. Also I hate the swedge. I would not hesitate a second to take Caly3 over Dragonfly any time, unless you have blade length limitation. I used to have couple Dragonfly, both gone.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for the pictures, those are very helpful. I guess I was maybe thinking UKPK and Caly 3?

I have the G10 Dragonfly and it's great for pocket carry but I do have to use the choil for 4 finger grip. I might have to add a Caly.

Thanks!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackthedog wrote:Thanks for the pictures, those are very helpful. I guess I was maybe thinking UKPK and Caly 3?

I have the G10 Dragonfly and it's great for pocket carry but I do have to use the choil for 4 finger grip. I might have to add a Caly.

Thanks!
UKPK and Caly 3 are viturally identical in size. UKPK has the "better" (deeper) choil, choice of blade shapes, and is a bit less expensive. Caly 3 has the "better" lock ;) and nicer looking handle material.
Paul
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

The Deacon wrote:UKPK and Caly 3 are viturally identical in size. UKPK has the "better" (deeper) choil, choice of blade shapes, and is a bit less expensive. Caly 3 has the "better" lock ;) and nicer looking handle material.
Thanks. Regarding the CF on the Caly, is it peel pry (like the Manix 2 or Stretch) or smooth?
Stony

Post by Stony »

jackthedog wrote:Thanks. Regarding the CF on the Caly, is it peel pry (like the Manix 2 or Stretch) or smooth?
It is smooth.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm a Dfly fan over the Caly3. I even like the Calypso Jr better.

The downfall in my mind of having ergonomics designed around a choil is it's often it feels forced. Sadly for some reason the Caly3 doesn't give me as much security as some others. I haven't held a Sage but think it's deeper choil would feel more secure as it's less subtle.
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

Two of my favorite Spydercos which I've been rotating as my main EDC knives since getting them, depending on where I'm going. They've replaced my Delica4 and Benchmade Mini Grips.
I think the Caly3 has the better ergos, it just fits the hand much more comfortably due to it's longer handle. The Caly3 feels much more like a Sage than a D'fly.
Here's another pic for reference.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to the SFO in several weeks so I will see if I can handle them and do some comparisons.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackthedog wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to the SFO in several weeks so I will see if I can handle them and do some comparisons.
That's always the best way. No matter how much I may like a knife, it still may not work for you, and visa-versa. Unless you already own one that's very similar, the only way to be reasonably sure a given model may work for you is to have it in your hand.
Paul