Valuable Spyderco's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccf

Valuable Spyderco's

Post by ccf »

I saw where a Civi went for $500 on eBay. It got me curious about which models being manufactured now could be collector's items in the future. Or if not collector's items, then knives which could possibly bring much more than their MSRP.

Any thoughts?
ccf

Post by ccf »

I should also add recent sprint runs that are still available.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

It depends on so many things... Not the least of which is the whims of consumer demand....

But all things equal, I fully expect the Phoenix and the Bradley to do better than most.

Ken
玉鋼
BigBrad75

Post by BigBrad75 »

kbuzbee wrote:
....But all things equal, I fully expect the Phoenix and the Bradley to do better than most.

Ken
You gotta love that Gayle Bradley, I know I do. One beautiful piece of work.
[CENTER]:spyder: G10 Jester with me at ALL times :spyder:
[/CENTER]
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

Barong, Khukuri, Chokwe, P'Kal all have the potential to be collector items. Seems like the ethnic designs have little interest while in production but become much sought after pieces after they are discontinued like the Persian and Yojimbo. Also, I think the Superhawk and Street Beat will be must have Spydercos in the future.
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Production numbers and rareness are big factors. Sal could mold a knife out of poop and it would sell for big bucks if he only molded 50 poop knives lol
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Oh, man. I thought I had pre-ordered all 50 of those... how did you find out?

On a serious note, I'm a bit new to :spyder: , but I would think some of the Manix 2 Sprints might become in high demand. Especially given the model's popularity.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Production numbers and rareness are big factors. Sal could mold a knife out of poop and it would sell for big bucks if he only molded 50 poop knives lol
Not entirely true. If it were a model in which there's limited interest, you'd have to hope the right buyer comes along when you're looking to sell. I have one knife that, while Sal has said "less than a handful" were made, would probably not fetch a lot, since it's not variant of a high demand model.

It comes down to a question of supply and demand and, while it's safe to say that anything that's hot today will probably be even hotter tomorrow, that's not always the case. 25th Ann. Delica peaked at over $700. Last couple I've seen auctioned went for under $400. But, in general, Sprint Runs and other low number specials, while not guaranteed to appreciate, probably stand better than average chance of doing so.

Some models took a long time to get "hot", others were "afi" favorites spurned by the great unwashed and caught fire the day Spyderco announced they were discontinued. Hard to tell what the future holds for some.

There's also the matter of scale. $500 for a Civilian may sound like a lot, but it's just a bit over twice its MSRP. Just about any Q, aside from the Bug and HK versions, will fetch more than twice their $50 MSRP, some will fetch eight times it or more.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was always told, anything that is sold as a collectible won't ever be worth anything..lol.

Like say for example, old Star Wars toys, GIJOE figures, stuff like that, in MINT NIB condition is outrageous expensive because nobody ever thought it would be so popular so nobody saved stuff like that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

At one time, Dodo's were easily and readily found for $70. One recently went for 7x that amount on ebay:
Attachments
dodo_500 (Medium).JPG
dodo_500 (Medium).JPG (37.33 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I see the Barong and Kukri being sought after in a couple years, when there are none left on the primary market.

Not to mention the Barong has some pretty influential supporters online.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Jay_Ev wrote:At one time, Dodo's were easily and readily found for $70. One recently went for 7x that amount on ebay:
Maybe that one was the first Dodo off the line or the prototype? Or some special paperwork was included to add to the collector value?
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

SteelDragon wrote:Maybe that one was the first Dodo off the line or the prototype? Or some special paperwork was included to add to the collector value?
you know who that seller is right? :D ;)
if you dont pm me. i dont want to throw it around. but if you ever bought from him, like i do, you'd understand.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

SmoothOne25 wrote:you know who that seller is right? :D ;)
if you dont pm me. i dont want to throw it around. but if you ever bought from him, like i do, you'd understand.
yep I do! Seems odd to me though....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SteelDragon wrote:Maybe that one was the first Dodo off the line or the prototype? Or some special paperwork was included to add to the collector value?
Or maybe someone just thought that, because of who was selling it. Or the buyer lives in a country which currently has a very favorable exchange rate. Or just your garden variety auction bidding war where winning becomes paramount and common sense goes out the window.
Paul
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

To me it's pretty much any knife that is a good knife but looks like an outside the box design. Often the genius of these designs aren't realized until after they are disco'd. Examples: Barong, Kuhkuri, Lava, Dodo, (probably in the future) Phoenix, Chokwe, Rock Lobster.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:

It comes down to a question of supply and demand and, while it's safe to say that anything that's hot today will probably be even hotter tomorrow, that's not always the case. 25th Ann. Delica peaked at over $700. Last couple I've seen auctioned went for under $400.
+1 (As always :) )

Jay_Ev wrote:At one time, Dodo's were easily and readily found for $70. One recently went for 7x that amount on ebay:
BTW, the last black PE was sold a little over $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYDERCO-DODO-C80GP ... ble_Knives

SE even under $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYDERCO-C80GSBK-BL ... ble_Knives

so after the wave of insanity prices went back to "normal". And if Spyderco produce Orange Dodo, prices would go down even more.
Scottie3000 wrote:To me it's pretty much any knife that is a good knife but looks like an outside the box design. Often the genius of these designs aren't realized until after they are disco'd. Examples: Barong, Kuhkuri, Lava, Dodo, (probably in the future) Phoenix, Chokwe, Rock Lobster.
I would respectably disagree. Like Paul said "supply and demand". After Original Green Lum Chinese got discontinued you could find them for a little over $100, it got hot shortly and prices within a year went $200 probably within a year.Later $250 was a good deal and they were catching up $270-280. After ZDP sprint they went down to around $150. Still the same design, the same knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:
Scottie3000 wrote:To me it's pretty much any knife that is a good knife but looks like an outside the box design. Often the genius of these designs aren't realized until after they are disco'd. Examples: Barong, Kuhkuri, Lava, Dodo, (probably in the future) Phoenix, Chokwe, Rock Lobster.
I would respectably disagree. Like Paul said "supply and demand". After Original Green Lum Chinese got discontinued you could find them for a little over $100, it got hot shortly and prices within a year went $200 probably within a year.Later $250 was a good deal and they were catching up $270-280. After ZDP sprint they went down to around $150. Still the same design, the same knife.
Agreed. At the very least, there are several factors at work. The Q was never really a "good knife", but was definitely an "outside the box design" and a brilliant exercise in simplicity. The Persian is a great design but not really "outside the box", at least not my box. :D

To me, the biggest "wild card" right now is the effect the sheer number of Sprint and other limited runs being offered will have on the collector market. Beyond the effect you note where the current value of older versions of the Chinese Folder may be a result of four new Sprints being released in fairly rapid succession and at least two more versions known to be in the works, there could eventually be a more general over saturation of the market.

Which is not to say the knives will not continue to sell, only that their appeal to speculative investors could be eliminated and a "hot" item might be available for a few weeks, rather than a few hours.
Paul
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I would think the CF Manix 2 would have as good a chance as any to be more desirable (valuable) as time passes. Granted the market was flooded with Manix 2's so only time will tell.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

BH49 and Deacon,
I totally agree with supply and demand. My thoughts were that "funny" looking models don't sell well and therefore the supply is low. Some of them catch a spark of demand sometimes directly after and sometimes a ways after being disco'd and there is your demand. I doubt there would be high prices demanded for CE Enduras since there were probably several hundred thousand sold, but a pricey odd looking knife like a Rock Lobster or Phoenix probably only sold in the 4 digit production range.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple