Dress Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccf

Dress Knife

Post by ccf »

I looked through Spyderco's catalog, but didn't really see anything that floated my boat for this particular use. I'd like a Slipit with about a 2.5" blade & some nice looking scales.

Anybody have a suggestion with a sprint run or something like that?
ccf

Post by ccf »

BTW, a locking blade would be fine if it doesn't have a clip. I know I could take the clip off, but I'm not particularly fond of holes in the scales for a dresser-upper.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

get yourself a kopa, kiwi, or santa fe stoneworks dragonfly. ;)
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I'm not that educated on slipits, but the only major ones I'm aware of are the UK Penknife and the bug/honeybee/grasshopper series. FWIW, the Grasshopper is a very good sized slipit with a 2.5 inch blade. Obviously the UKPKs have better steel and fit and finish etc. The grasshoppers only like $8-12 for a good amount of knife. You can get an FRN UKPK drop point for like $35

Edit:if slipjoint isnt a must, some kind of Dragonfly would probably suit your needs best...they have some fancy ones
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

I hate to mention a non-spydie, but the victorinox alox cadet is my "dress" knife of choice

In omnia paratus
ccf

Post by ccf »

The Mentaculous wrote:I'm not that educated on slipits, but the only major ones I'm aware of are the UK Penknife and the bug/honeybee/grasshopper series. FWIW, the Grasshopper is a very good sized slipit with a 2.5 inch blade. Obviously the UKPKs have better steel and fit and finish etc. The grasshoppers only like $8-12 for a good amount of knife. You can get an FRN UKPK drop point for like $35

Edit:if slipjoint isnt a must, some kind of Dragonfly would probably suit your needs best...they have some fancy ones
Cool. I'll look into the Grasshopper. I just saw where Nutnfancy reviewed it, so I'll take a look at the vid.

BTW, I found my supplemental catalog where the Grasshopper as well as the titanium & CF UKPK are listed. The only thing I have against the Grasshopper is it's mediocre steel, but what a value, LOL.

Those UKPK's might be just the ticket. I didn't find the Dragonfly in either catalog, though. Is it still being produced?

Thanks, again.
ccf

Post by ccf »

BananaBoy_S4 wrote:I hate to mention a non-spydie, but the victorinox alox cadet is my "dress" knife of choice

Not a problem with me. Those are nice. Definitely something to consider.

Thanks.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

ccf wrote:Not a problem with me. Those are nice. Definitely something to consider.

Thanks.
and a steal @ $17 at your local target. I have silver, red, hunter green, and autumn orange; all cool pieces
In omnia paratus
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Yeah the steel in the Bug line is not the best but I find it holds a pretty fine edge surprisingly. I assume the dragonfly is still be produced, it's still being sold. Nutnfancy has a review of that one if you want to check it out.

PS-thanks for leading me to a new nutnfancy review! I've seen all the old ones, some of them multiple times
ccf

Post by ccf »

BTW, another plus for the Victorinox Cadet SAK is it's a multi-tool, so when I'm in dress clothes, it would be a great lightweight replacement for my EDC knife (Tenacious) & my Leatherman Juice S2.

Like I said, definitely something to consider for "dress" gear.
ccf

Post by ccf »

The Mentaculous wrote:Yeah the steel in the Bug line is not the best but I find it holds a pretty fine edge surprisingly. I assume the dragonfly is still be produced, it's still being sold. Nutnfancy has a review of that one if you want to check it out.

PS-thanks for leading me to a new nutnfancy review! I've seen all the old ones, some of them multiple times
You're welcome. And I hear ya with the Nutnfancy vids. He's one of the best reviewers on YouTube, IMO. As you can probably guess, I spend a lot of time on YT. :)
ccf

Post by ccf »

The Mentaculous wrote:Yeah the steel in the Bug line is not the best but I find it holds a pretty fine edge surprisingly. I assume the dragonfly is still be produced, it's still being sold. Nutnfancy has a review of that one if you want to check it out.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the Dragonfly review. Gonna go find it now. :)
ccf

Post by ccf »

Does the Dragonfly come with a clip (2010 VG-10 model)? The reason I ask is because I've seen it in pics without the zytel clip. I was wondering if it comes separate & you have the option of putting it on or something.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The FRN version has a molded on clip which you can't take off. The G10 version has the wire clip, which you can remove.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Stainless (also etched) comes with a screw on clip, too.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Gents folder you say?

Kopa, kiwi, michael walker, bob t, navigatior, cricket, or http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.ph ... er_page=41

Or last but not least, best knife when you play dress up.... THE WARRIOR!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Carbon fiber kiwi. This one is easy :)

More traditional maybe a Micro Dyad.
Splice

Post by Splice »

I personally wear my Sage 1 as my dress knife. The wire clip isn't very obvious and it rides deep in your pocket. All you have showing is a little silver from the liners glinting in the light. The carbon fiber looks really slick and goes quite well with black dress pants. The blade is about 3", it's not very heavy, and it's just plain an all-around sweet knife.
butch

Post by butch »

the custom shop thing had been brought up before but its all about what works in the books i sure cant fault spyderco for that

if there was one thing that might be lacking on Spyderco its a "up level" its not that there is a huge need for "dress knives" but a few now and then couldn't hurt
mind you some models are not really fitting to make a dressed up sprint
the anniversary delica i wish i could get my hands on or a tim Z worker but till i can my puka shell Vesuvius is my dress knife of choice
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Seven

Post by Seven »

Alot of the kopa's look good, never handled one myself....

A polished Ti slab dodo sounds good too tho,