Knock off after knock off

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
TexSierra

Knock off after knock off

Post by TexSierra »

I am blown away with the knock offs on ebay. I can't believe that there is no legal action one can take on this. Talk about blatant theft.

These look so real, I might not even catch it on initial inspection (and I own almost 30 Spydies myself)

http://cgi.ebay.com/c38-flat-ground-fol ... _500wt_815

This one is a bit more obvious, but a non-spydie wouldn't have a chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G10-handle-440c-sha ... 1477wt_800
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Yeah, they look like NAVY knives ... I think Sal has said previously that China will not recognize any foreign patents or trademarks and they demand that everything be registered in China first. I am guessing that even then they aren't going to do anything substantial to affect a Chinese export business.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)

Post by 224477 »

2nd one is navy, the first one is not. Actually the 1st one is counterfeit, as it is marked same sa the original UKPK G10 model, even Sals logo is on. The steel is not S30V of course. The only difference is a suspicious clip /you need a close look/ and the LH mount for the clip is not there - those are the main differences to spot it.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

224477 wrote:2nd one is navy, the first one is not.
Are you sure it isn't navy? I mean, I know they are marked-up as total fakes but that company also make obvious fakes marked-up with their name on them. Either way, as you say they are identifiable when you know what to look for - I wrote a mini article about them on BritishBlades a while back to raise awareness over here and most people who saw one were shocked at how good they look. Obviously, the quality is far lower than a genuine UKPK but non Spydie-knuts might be fooled :(
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)

Post by 224477 »

Chris, I never managed to track down the producer of any fake knife which is marketed as chinese say as a 'high grade imitation'. Thats the case of the UKPK. There is another case of Spyderco Spin with etched handle, which is very close to the original, in this subforum you can find pictures.

On the other hand, Navy is a chinese in-country 'brand', and even they sell stuff which is originally designed by spyderco or very slightly changed original models, they never pretend to be Spyderco /branding of the blades/. I can tell you that Navy and some of the actual Byrds come from the same house. As the foreign patents,product designs, and intelectual property has not too much value in China, there is not much one can do about it, unfortunately. :(
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

That first one is very fooling! except for the clip.
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
thedeuce1983

Post by thedeuce1983 »

Hey I am new to this forum, I literally just registered because I felt that I needed to make this one post.

There is a user on ebay now I bid on a gunting, thanks to you guys having a picture of a fake I didnt get stuck with it. Reason I investigated was that it was just too great of a deal. Eighty bucks for a gunting, when everyone else on ebay wants 350 is just too good to be true, so I looked into it.

The guy says he is using his girl friends account. The user name is jessica10 or something along those lines. When I asked him where all his knives came from all he could say is that he bought all of the knives on ebay, and that he couldnt take the time to learn all of the different variations there were in certain spyderco models.

I told him the gunting didnt have other models and his was off and looked fake, I asked him for another pic of the knife and he said he couldnt get one. The account he was using had 0 feedback. I feel bad for anyone who grabbed something from him. But the main point of my story is stay away from him here is a link to his ad for the gunting I almost got stuck with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Gunting-/2 ... 500wt_1154

guy is a total scammer put the word out for him.