Spyderco Embassy vs Citadel

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
trackstar55

Spyderco Embassy vs Citadel

Post by trackstar55 »

I am a LEO looking for an auto for duty use.

I am having a hard time understanding the differences between the two models. Also, what length have you LEO's/Military have been using?

There are not many reviews on these knives which I am a little disappointed about that.

Can someone list the differences between the two? Pros/Cons?
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

In case you didn't know you can find the detailed specs from the SAS catalog, available here: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/2010_Sp ... SGuide.pdf
To help us help you, please tell a little bit about how you would be using it, after all that's the thing that REALLY matters.

But basicly the differences in a nut shell:
Size (also WEIGHT) from smallest to largest:
Embassy
3 1/8" blade
3.6 oz.
Citadel 83mm
3 1/4" blade
4.8 oz.
Citadel 92mm
3 1/2" blade
5.1 oz.
Embassy has a wharncliffe blade with a slight belly, the Citadel is more of a spearpoint/drop point. If you considering it as a backup weapon then the Citadel might be a better choice though the Embassy would perform well in that POU as well. Though if you want serrations, only the Embassy comes with teeth.
The Citadel has an all aluminium handle with bi-directional grooves, the Embassy has an aluminium handle with a G10 insert, ergonomics are also slightly different in the two.
Both have the same UI and clip configuration, which is tip-up, left/right.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

trackstar55 wrote:I am a LEO looking for an auto for duty use.

I am having a hard time understanding the differences between the two models. Also, what length have you LEO's/Military have been using?

There are not many reviews on these knives which I am a little disappointed about that.

Can someone list the differences between the two? Pros/Cons?
If knife laws weren't so ridiculous and we could buy/own/carry them, you'd see more reviews.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

Errr, nope... actually the Citadel has the same style blade as the Embassy - a wharnie with a slight belly, just longer.

I think the Embassy was intended to be a more 'upmarket' version of the Citadel for desk-bound types, whereas the Citadel is more of a field officer's knife. I have the Citadel and can highly recommend it. The blade is an excellent design, highly practical and razor sharp. I have the DLC version (all black) and its superly executed. Undoubtedly one of the best Spydercos ever produced IMO.
Creepo wrote:has a wharncliffe blade with a slight belly, the Citadel is more of a spearpoint/drop point.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I agree that the Citadels look more like a heavy duty knife and the Embassy seems more geared towards the executive look. Both models have very capable blades in CPM S30v, but the Embassy is lighter to carry. My Embassy is also the sharpest knife I have. Both designs have similar features in general, and both have smooth, quick opening mechanisms.

For military use, blades anywhere between 3" and 4" work fine. Can't say for LE. If you can, look at the models and variants at a local shop or show like TREXPO or SHOT. It comes down to a matter of taste between these three. Or, get one each of the Citadels and the Embassy. My personal favorite auto is the silver Embassy plain edge, although I have the smaller 83mm Citadel as well.

Get an SAS account set up and chat about these with your account representative. Maybe they can shed additional light on the best choices for your requirements. They can also send you an SAS catalog supplement with more info. You cannot go wrong with either design.

Now, after I've said all that, my workhorse knife is my Stretch ZPD-189 CF with my Endura 4 combo edge black blade as its backup. I can open the either of these as fast or faster than the autos and more easily close them with one hand. Both have blades in the 3.5" range. I find that 3" - 3.5" bladed knives fit my hand best. I have to "choke up" a bit even on my Endura. Both the Embassy and 83mm Citadel fit my hand perfectly.

This has been a bit long, but I hope helpful. Again, military point of view, not LEO.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder: