Aqua Salt, Rock Salt; Discontinued.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HotSoup

Aqua Salt, Rock Salt; Discontinued.

Post by HotSoup »

Front page of Warriors and Wonders is saying that Spyderco has discontinued the Rock Salt and Aqua Salt.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

also mentioned on cutlery shoppe
In omnia paratus
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I never cared for the Rock Salt, but I'm considering a yellow Aqua Salt. I guess I should get one while they're around, but I have no use for it. I'm assuming its due to low sales, so I'm sure many retailers will have them for a while.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I love my Rock Salt! If they have any close-out prices, I may have to pick up a spare or two. Or three. :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jabba359 wrote:I love my Rock Salt! If they have any close-out prices, I may have to pick up a spare or two. Or three. :D
About this time last year the H1 fixed line hade their msrp effectively cut in half (or more). If Rock Salts drop lower than $107 practicality is going to duel lust to the death :p
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

All good things must come to an end...I carry a Rock Salt each and everyday regardless of weather or season, it is my primary SD knife. Razor sharp doesn't even come close to describe how sharp you can make this knife. I dedicate my SD knives for that purpose only, so other than meat testing I never cut anything else with my EDC SD knives. Till the other day :o , I bought a half (kinda large) watermelon for lunch at work, didn't have my Santuko, and I'm standing over the large half of melon wondering how the heck I was going to eat this thing...LOL...I quickly gave up on the idea to just sink my face and teeth into the cross-section of this melon...pulled out the Rock Salt and did battle....the Rock Salt won! The great thing was I didn't have to even wash it off before re-sheathing, when I got home I noticed some seeds were stuck on the blade....good thing no one attacked me on the way home...the coroner would have been perplexed to say the least if he had to write in his report that he found watermelon seeds in the wound channel....:eek :D oc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I've been eyeing the Aqua Salt for a long time, but there's so many other great knives from other companies in that size range... except they usually cost twice as much as the Aqua's going for price. The news that they're going away (Also listed as discontinued on a certain shoppe's site) made me finally pull the trigger on one.

I've had a Rock Salt since the price drop last year, and even though I don't use it much, I like it a lot. Just don't need a knife that big outside of the kitchen very often.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Rock Salts are all sold out from cutlery shoppe... no more for $107.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I wonder if caspian is next on the chopping board, since its price was slashed too.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Thats sad news, wanted an aqua salt for a while for utility/fishing/etc., just so many other cool blades got in the way. Hope they will stick around and I'll get a couple within the next month or two.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I'm surprised the aqua salt would go before the Caspian salt
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

LowTEC wrote:I'm surprised the aqua salt would go before the Caspian salt
Same here.

Aqua is a great knife, sad to see it go.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Woz

Post by Woz »

I really like the Aqua Salt, I´d love to see a "Vagabond" version of it (so bladeguard instead of sheath). I hope there will be new fixed blades. Maybe even new kitchen knives? Come on Spyderco, gimme new fixed blades!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Woz wrote:I really like the Aqua Salt, I´d love to see a "Vagabond" version of it (so bladeguard instead of sheath). I hope there will be new fixed blades. Maybe even new kitchen knives? Come on Spyderco, gimme new fixed blades!
kitchen knives are in the works..i dont have the link right now but Sal mentioned some with the Chinese steel and replaceable handles.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

How are the Aqua Salts as kitchen knives?

I wouldnt mind both blades grinds but I have no use for a fixed blade such as that other than in the kitchen.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

Due to the design it would be quite limited in the kitchen. Because of the narrowness of the blade it would not be suitable (efficient) for chopping duties, merely as a utility slicer. Unless the coolness factor of the knife compels you to buy it (it is a cool knife) you can find very good kitchen utility knives at a lower price point.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Thats it, had to order a couple (of aqua salts) on close-out price. They should be perfect for the tackle box (when I get one)
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Hey HotSoup and everybody,

just checked on ebay the prices of a few Rock Salts from different sellers I had my eye set on... the prices went up like crazy... as soon they became discontinued the prices mounted for about 50$ per piece! And I wonder that actually all sellers raised the price at the same time!!!

I thought about to get one but now I do not pay those prices cause it feels like being ripped off in my opinion when they raise the price on a knife that they sold two days ago for a lower price and has just been called discontinued, I prefer for day to day based work the Aqua salt anyway trough it's more compact size and ordered one of those!!!

Have a good day

Michael
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
gac

Post by gac »

I was thinking the other day how the Aqua would work well for the types of gardening things I do. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good price on a plain edged blade.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Woz wrote:I really like the Aqua Salt, I´d love to see a "Vagabond" version of it (so bladeguard instead of sheath). I hope there will be new fixed blades. Maybe even new kitchen knives? Come on Spyderco, gimme new fixed blades!
Good idea, Woz! I love the Vagabond but I'm not a big fan of AUS-6. So I've often thought of how great it would be to see Spyderco re-release it with H1. An 'Aquabond' version would be very cool too. :D