Irish Police use music for self defense

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
butterknife

Irish Police use music for self defense

Post by butterknife »

Link here.
I dunno about you LEOs out there, but I'd think diffusing the situation before it got out of hand, and maybe keeping a few kids from going to jail would be a positive thing. Sure, it might not be a reliable way of diffusing a situation, but I think getting people to decide to do the right thing before it's too late would be a good thing, right?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

We could do the same here in the states, but we would have to use Barry Manilow music to stop people from rioting...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

The local market-shopping center here is playing classical music. They play it just a little loud, and all the freaks, creeps, weirdos, gang bangers stay away.

It works! They would hang around a well to do area like ours, and try to rob, purse snatch and whatever.

Play the classics, and they disappear!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Toad310 wrote:The local market-shopping center here is playing classical music. They play it just a little loud, and all the freaks, creeps, weirdos, gang bangers stay away.

It works! They would hang around a well to do area like ours, and try to rob, purse snatch and whatever.

Play the classics, and they disappear!
I heard but don't know if it's true...but I heard the US Army plays Metalica (Sp?) loud in Afganstan, to try to draw the rebels out of the mountains....Don't really understand that one...I don't know if it's to annoy them out or they want them to come down off the mountain and form a mosh pit......Doc :rolleyes: :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I run into psyops guys periodically over here while they are playing with their giant portable speaker sets... I wish they would play some Metallica, all I hear sounds suspiciously like techno renditions of old Devo songs.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Donut

Post by Donut »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:We could do the same here in the states, but we would have to use Barry Manilow music to stop people from rioting...Doc :D
I would hate to see the result of that! :o

If the Police were playing the Scorpions or something when the rolled up. Actually, that would probably just drive them crazy. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:We could do the same here in the states, but we would have to use Barry Manilow music to stop people from rioting...Doc :D
I would have thought that was when the real riot would start, a scramble to be the first to unplug the speakers ;)

Its funny that playing "uncool" music keeps the yobs at bay.

A number of places in the UK started playing a constant high pitched tone that most people over 25 can't hear in their parking lots, to keep teenage kinds from hanging out there.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Poor Barry, He writes the songs the whole world loves, or something like that? anyone remember?

He lives here in Palm Springs, I can knock on his door if you guy's have any questions?

Best,

Toad
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Toad310 wrote:Poor Barry, He writes the songs the whole world loves, or something like that? anyone remember?

He lives here in Palm Springs, I can knock on his door if you guy's have any questions?

Best,

Toad
Some years back before anyone knew his name, Barry's cousin was my best friend...so all of us used to hang out together...I remember listening to his demo tapes before all the fame, saying to myself, he'll never get a music contract LOL...Who Knew!!!...Doc :D

Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Doc, that is cool. Thanks for telling us.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

You know, I just thought if BMI hears this the Irish Police will have to pay for a concert, as there is enough people listining. I work in many industries, and I have spent years in the music industry working with artists.

Sounds strange, but there people have floors of lawyers in New York, and LA.

That would be funny.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

monsterdog wrote:I would have thought that was when the real riot would start, a scramble to be the first to unplug the speakers ;)

Its funny that playing "uncool" music keeps the yobs at bay.

A number of places in the UK started playing a constant high pitched tone that most people over 25 can't hear in their parking lots, to keep teenage kinds from hanging out there.
The problem comes with those of us that haven't killed our hearing, and CAN hear that noise. Keeps me from spending ANYTHING at the malls (I think I go once a month at most, for stores that are only found in the malls).
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Jordan wrote:I run into psyops guys periodically over here while they are playing with their giant portable speaker sets... I wish they would play some Metallica, all I hear sounds suspiciously like techno renditions of old Devo songs.
If somethin's goin' wrong, Yeeouuuuuu must whip it!
There's somethin' goin' on, Yeeouuuuuu must whip it!
Jihadists built a bomb, Yeeouuuuuu must whip it!
A firefight is on, It's time to whip it!

Now whip it!
Whip it good!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!